1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Thumbs down Shot my Kimber and my XDm tonight. Not happy.

Man, my XDm was chewing up and spitting out everything I threw at it. Wadcutters, ball, and hollowpoints. Blam blam blam. My $1100 Kimber? Not so much. Bang, click, bang, bang, click. That gun was having FTF and FTE issues all night long. I let 2 of my friends shoot it with the same results. I used 3 different types of magazines and it screwed up with all of them. Granted, the Kimber only has 70 rounds through it and the factory says that proper break-in is 500 rounds. I call bullshit! For that kind of money it should eat everything I feed it! Thinking about selling the damn thing. My XDm hadn't beed fired before tonight and she didn't even hiccup. Anyone wanna buy a barely used Tactical Pro II in mint condition??

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox28 View Post
    Man, my XDm was chewing up and spitting out everything I threw at it. Wadcutters, ball, and hollowpoints. Blam blam blam. My $1100 Kimber? Not so much. Bang, click, bang, bang, click. That gun was having FTF and FTE issues all night long. I let 2 of my friends shoot it with the same results. I used 3 different types of magazines and it screwed up with all of them. Granted, the Kimber only has 70 rounds through it and the factory says that proper break-in is 500 rounds. I call bullshit! For that kind of money it should eat everything I feed it! Thinking about selling the damn thing. My XDm hadn't beed fired before tonight and she didn't even hiccup. Anyone wanna buy a barely used Tactical Pro II in mint condition??
    Single stack 8 round or 7 round mag ?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I've got a Kimber and have run about 100-150 rounds through it and not a single hiccup. Did you clean it and relube it before you shot it? I know several people that have had Kimber and rarely had any problems.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

7rd factory mag, 7rd Kimpro mag, 8rd Wilson ETM. All had problems. And yes, it has been cleaned and lubed. Lubed it about 4 hours before we took it to the range actually.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

7rd factory mag, 7rd Kimpro mag, 8rd Wilson ETM. All had problems. And yes, it has been cleaned and lubed. Lubed it about 4 hours before we took it to the range actually.
    I have seen Wilson,factory and kimpro mags do this... If your willing to try put 6rds in the 7rd mag and 7rds in the 8rd mag. Try it and see what happens.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Were were shooting with as few as 4 rounds in the mags!!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Were were shooting with as few as 4 rounds in the mags!!
    Wow okay.. Feeder ramp,throat or chamber... And you should not have to polish the areas from the factory. But is not uncommon on 1911's..

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Not with a top-dollar gun like a Kimber, at least.

I could be wrong but I think I've read more bad than good about Kimber stuff in the past year or so.

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    Not with a top-dollar gun like a Kimber, at least.

I could be wrong but I think I've read more bad than good about Kimber stuff in the past year or so.
    I'm sorry but Kimber is nowhere near top dollar or top gun. It is just another over priced mass produced pistol.

Nitrox, send it back instead of getting pissed about it. Call Kimber and they should take care of you. Ask them to send you a shipping lable

If you are really that disgusted with it, sell it save up $500 more and get a Les Baer Premier II

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Sold it tonight at a gun show for $900!

blue
    83 mustang 347

Sold it tonight at a gun show for $900!
    save up some money and get a Semi Custom

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

1911's are finicky little bitches, no matter the name on it.

Ive seen $450 RIA run flawlessly, while $1300 TRP's have trouble. My Stainless Target II 10mm never had a problem. My Pro Carry II only has issues with the CMC power8 mag if trying to shoot fast in comp. MY buddy that shoots CDP in IDPA with a Springer Loaded, experiences different malfunctions everytime.

Selling the Kimber with only 70 rounds through it, without sending it back to the factory was premature.

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    1911's are finicky little bitches, no matter the name on it.

Ive seen $450 RIA run flawlessly, while $1300 TRP's have trouble. My Stainless Target II 10mm never had a problem. My Pro Carry II only has issues with the CMC power8 mag if trying to shoot fast in comp. MY buddy that shoots CDP in IDPA with a Springer Loaded, experiences different malfunctions everytime.

Selling the Kimber with only 70 rounds through it, without sending it back to the factory was premature.
    you're right. I've seen Nighthawks with fitment and finishing issues. guess I've gotten lucky out of all my 1911's

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

1911's... yawn.

Single-action, heavy, harder to shoot accurately, more difficult break-down, limited mag capacity... I guess I'll never understand the popularity of them in the modern firearm world.

Strap that XD on every time you leave the house, and lock that Kimber up in the safe next to your coin collection and other artifacts.

--
    Last edited by 2000LS1Bird; 04-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.

red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    1911's... yawn.

Single-action, heavy, harder to shoot accurately, more difficult break-down, limited mag capacity... I guess I'll never understand the popularity of them in the modern firearm world.

Strap that XD on every time you leave the house, and lock that Kimber up in the safe next to your coin collection and other artifacts.

--
    Not sure what 1911's you've handled or shot, but a properly set up 1911 is still 100 years after it was conceived one of the best handgun designs available. 1911's still have the best trigger in any handgun. The thin profile is super easy to conceal. With proper lug and bushing fit, they are as accurate as any handgun. GI guide rod/plug 1911's are simple to break down with good slide/bushing fit. As long as you find a mag that works with your gun and have good extractor tension, they are reliable as hell.

That being said, they aren't for everyone. The all steel guns are heavy, but aluminum framed 1911's are available, plus, with a good gun belt and holster, the weight isn't an issue. They do have lower capacity than more modern .45ACP's, but again, thinner profile.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

sorry to hear about the problems with the kimber. I have had no problems with mine.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    1911's... yawn.

--

You're kidding, right?

First of all, John Browning made the 1911 to shoot the projectile of the day...hardball. Hollow points came later and the platform proved adaptable. Yes, it takes some tweaking, but old slabsides is well up to the task. Nothing wrong with a XD, but I GUARANTEE you the basic design of an XD will not still be in production 100 years from now (neither of us will be here to honor the guarantee, but you get my point).

MOST common failures to feed and/or eject are very simple mechanical tweaks - when it is traced back to the weapon - but overall the cause of the failures can be linked to the operator more often than not. I'm not calling anyone a sissy, but way too many times the shooter is limp-wristing the pistol. If you maintain a consistent hold and you YOURSELF absorb the right amount of recoil, the action will work as it is designed to do. If the gun is rising more than 6" when in recoil, you are taking too much energy from the action and THAT will cause a failure to feed and/or eject. Sans all that, every gun maker has lemons. Add to that the varying issues with aftermarket mags in a 1911 and the wide variety of projectile shapes in .45 ACP and the issue isn't normally too hard to figure out.

500 rounds through a gun is a good suggestion, especially for a gun that will be carried. Polishing a feed ramp isn't difficult, but it does require some care. After about 50 rounds, the area needed to be smooth will be apparent, but when you use various ammo, it becomes harder to summize.

Any 1911 model Kimber is a damn fine gun. If the gun was flawed, they would definitely make it right. I guess the next owner will find out though.

Black
    F250

I have to agree with 1911's being great guns. On that note, i have heard some people say their kimber 1911 was picky about the ammo used (just what i have heard but have no experience with). I have heard mostly good about the kimbers though and still wouldnt mind having one myself.

Also, to whoever said a 1911 was hard to shoot accurately... lol. My girlfriend, never shot a gun, went to the range with me this last valentines day. She fired my springfield 1911 A1 for the first time (her first time shooting any gun also) and at 25yds got the bulls-eye twice with the first 7 rd clip.

Thread Information