blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

ls2 intake versus ls6

Looking at the ls2 intake runners etc it seems that with the bigger throttle body and more air volume that the ls2 would create more horsepower. Has anyone done this on there ls1 and what was the results? Why would this not work?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The LS6 is still the better of the 2 according to the numbers I've seen.
    The LS2's performance is virtually the same as the original LS1 intake untill high rpm where the bigger throttle opening seems to help it.
    Also heard that swapping on an LS6 intake to an LS2 engine will result in a good power gain.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Several mags did intake dyno tests a few years back. They found the LS2 intake wasn't that great, even with the larger throttle body. The LS6 intake still showed improvement. I just don't remember how much.
    I do remember one test showed the tall truck intake to be not all that bad either.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127127

I have a few graphs posted in there dealing with the LS2.

One shows the difference in performance between LS2 vs LS6
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

White
    1998 Trans Am

I'm running the 90mm LS2 on my LS1. You will have to fab a throttle cable bracket, add wire to the MAP sensor, ( it's in the front ), use aftermarket fuel rails, and larger O-rings on the injectors. Of coarse, I'm shifting at 7000 rpms...

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Several mags did intake dyno tests a few years back. They found the LS2 intake wasn't that great, even with the larger throttle body. The LS6 intake still showed improvement. I just don't remember how much.
    I do remember one test showed the tall truck intake to be not all that bad either.
    i remebmer that magazine article. it was a couple years ago. i didnt have a muscle car but is still read about them.

if i remember right, the LQ9, 6.0 truck intake performed the best. they called it big nasty cause its wants the pretiest thing ether.

215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

DONT do it...waste of money the ls2 intake sucks google it u will find stuff on it it just a lil better than the ls1 if any the ls6 is way better an the fast even better buddy tried the ls2 intake it got sold quick after seeing dyno numbers

blue and white
    99 transam 30th vert

I saw a few of the graphs and they show a slight difference in ls6 versus ls2. Sometimes depending on the car and all there is not that much difference. My car is cammed, headers, ypipe, no cats etc. 2800 stall and 373 gears. On the dyno was 390 at the wheels with the ls2 intake. The guy I have work on it put the ls2 on it, I was a bit surprised because we talked about the ls6 intake, he had a used one he was selling me. He put he cam in etc and the intake on and did the dyno. Of course when he put he ls2 on it cost me more in the long run because we had to buy the larger throttle body, maf and fuel rails etc. I was a bit torked off because that is not what we talked about. However the car runs very well, dynoed very well and its done now so I was trying to really figure out what I really lost in hp. I think the torque is where I lost some at mid rpms, does not feel as strong as it did, but once you hit 4500rpm to over 6000 it pulls like a train. It would be a lot of cash to reverse it, he could say he told me ls2 and I could argue he did not all day long but the end result is what it is. I figured I may be losing out on 5-10 hp max. Looking at others dyno numbers it seems right in line even with cars that are cammed and ls6 intakes. With the larger runners and bigger throttle body its got to be getting more air. The dyno sheet was peaked at 6100 rpm, I think the car would keep pulling till 6500+ because the dyno graph just quits at 6100, it does not fall off. Like they just shut ut down at that rpm or something.

Thread Information