Red
    1998 Z28 Convertible

Odometer and Radio Displays

I have a 1998 Camaro Z28 that was bought new and has never been modified in any way.

I got in it a couple days ago and noticed the radio display was blank. After a few hundred feet it came back on and everything worked fine. A day later, the radio display and odometer went blank. The odometer trip meter also reset to zero.

All the tail lights and turn signals work. The gauge lights seemed out along with the HVAC but they are working again now. I may have just not noticed because it was daylight.

I replaced the 10 amp gauge fuse and tested the 40 amp IP2 fuse. All tested as good.

Power windows and locks work.

I did have mice in the blower motor last year. I cleaned it all out and the motor runs fine. I didn?t see any chewed wires.

There have been acorns on the intake manifold so I know they have been in the engine compartment. I didn?t see any damaged wires and it has been running just fine.

Is there anything else to try? Is this just a glitch that comes and goes? Everything is working this morning but I?d hate to get stranded.

Red
    1998 Z28 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by vince clortho View Post
    I have a 1998 Camaro Z28 that was bought new and has never been modified in any way.

I got in it a couple days ago and noticed the radio display was blank. After a few hundred feet it came back on and everything worked fine. A day later, the radio display and odometer went blank. The odometer trip meter also reset to zero.

All the tail lights and turn signals work. The gauge lights seemed out along with the HVAC but they are working again now. I may have just not noticed because it was daylight.

I replaced the 10 amp gauge fuse and tested the 40 amp IP2 fuse. All tested as good.

Power windows and locks work.

I did have mice in the blower motor last year. I cleaned it all out and the motor runs fine. I didn?t see any chewed wires.

There have been acorns on the intake manifold so I know they have been in the engine compartment. I didn?t see any damaged wires and it has been running just fine.

Is there anything else to try? Is this just a glitch that comes and goes? Everything is working this morning but I?d hate to get stranded.
    I tried again this afternoon and everything works again. All lights, windows, radio, etc?

I did wash it the day before it happened. Maybe just a damp connection somewhere?

Red
    1998 Z28 Convertible

It?s been a few days and I?ve been driving it around. The displays have all stayed on and it seems fine. It?s a mystery.

Thread Information