Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Problem after cam install

I'm having a problem months and many miles after a cam install on my LS1 motor. The RPM gauge is not functioning anymore. The gauge works on initial start up, but fails a minute or so later. I have already replaced the Cam Sensor figuring that is why it was acting erratic. No luck with that - acts the same. How does the sensor read the camshaft exactly? Could the cam be moving somehow? I'm getting ready to check and make sure nothing came loose next weekend, but figured I would check if anyone has had this problem. Car starts and runs fine with no abnormal noises.

I have the hot cam, double roller timing chain, chrome molly push rods, LS6 springs, and other normal bolt-ons.

LSX Tuner/Mechanic

purple
    2057 Bugatti

Crank position sensor also has a role in this as well. If that doesn't fix it, either the tach pulses are dead in your PCM (had this happen to me once) or the actual motor inside the gauge cluster went out.

Instead of throwing parts at it and wasting money, have somebody with a Snap On Solus or Tech 2 scanner confirm your problem. Either of those scanners have the capability to find it.

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

If the tach pulses are dead, will it read a RPM on my programmer? My service engine soon light comes on after awhile for no RPM input (what ever the code is for that). So I figure the ECM has no input and changed the cam sensor. If the crank sensor was bad I figured the car wouldn't start or run pretty bad.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

I dont think your engine would run properly if the ecm doesnt recognize the cam position. so i dont think it is the sensor.

black
    02 ss camaro

Probably unrelated to the cam install.I'd get it scanned...could be just a gauge problem
    Last edited by importhater81; 03-18-2010 at 04:01 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Might try re-seating the plug connectors on the ecm too.

black
    02 ss camaro

I knew that name sounded familiar.BlownH2X weren't you a member on TeamBajaMarine.com....Sorry man didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Like above post said check your pcm connections as well,especially if it was removed to be tuned.Sometimes the weatherpack seals can keep the connectors from seating all the way.The rpm's are calculated by the pcm via crank sensor input and sent to the IPC through a serial data cicuit.Could be a crank sensor or internal pcm issue.
    Last edited by importhater81; 03-18-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    I knew that name sounded familiar.BlownH2X weren't you a member on TeamBajaMarine.com....Sorry man didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Like above post said check your pcm connections as well,especially if it was removed to be tuned.Sometimes the weatherpack seals can keep the connectors from seating all the way.The rpm's are calculated by the pcm via crank sensor input and sent to the IPC through a serial data cicuit.Could be a crank sensor or internal pcm issue.

I am/was a member on teambajamarine. Great site and guys on there. I had a baja with a procharged big block. I'll check the PCM connections to make sure, but I never touched them. The car is programmed using a predator programmer with a custom tune. I'll try re-tuning it also. It's weird because it works and doesn't work. thanks for all the help.

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

I found the problem and looking for some information. The cam retaining plate actually broke; therefore, the cam was floating back and forth a little and destroyed what looks like a bearing. My main question now is:
    1.) what goes between the retaining plate and the cam? some sort of bearing?
    2.) is there a bearing between the cam and timing gear?
    3.) should I get these parts from the dealer or somewhere else?

Thread Information