Thread: Cutting Out

NBM
    98 Trans Am

Cutting Out

I don't know if this is where it belongs but if not move it. A quick history on my car. 98 TA A4 with a TCI 3800 stall and F14 cam. I also have LT's, true duals, Walbro pump, NKG plugs, MSD wires, TSP dynotune, and the other boltons. Here's my problem. When my car gets up around the 5800 rpm range it starts cutting out. It almost sounds like it's missing. I just replaced the fuel pump last night thinking that was the problem, but still the same thing. I had it dynotuned at TSP, so that's why I don't think it's hitting the limiter. Any other suggestions?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

do you have an SES light? and how many miles on those MSD wires? I have heard the heat really starts to get to them afetr a while and maybe they are causeing your car to miss??

NBM
    98 Trans Am

No SES light. The wires have a tops of 3000 miles on them. It was doing it before I started changing all these parts. The only other thing that I could think of is maybe the knock sensors, but I wanted some opinions b4 I started tearing things apart. Everything minus LT's only have about 3000 miles on them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Pull your wires and go over the boots very carefully. My buddy had pretty much these exact symptoms. I kept his car overnight and scanned/logged it and found #7 was the one misfiring. I pulled the plug and it looked fine. I inspected his plug boots and it had been close enough to the header to dry it out and put a really small crack in it. I bent the boot in half and it ripped. Make sure you don't have a plug boot on a header or close enough to dry it out. Do you have means to log the car? That will tell you a lot.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Mine had similar symptoms after LT install because I wasnt smart enough to change my plugs and wires while doing the LT install. after new plugs and wires mine was fine.

NBM
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Do you have means to log the car? That will tell you a lot.
    TSP might be able to log a car, but I don't have the means. The whole thing with this is it was doing it before I change the plugs, wires, pump, ect. I was at the track yesterday and my check engine light came on in the middle of my run. I seems to do it the worst at the top of 2nd and 3rd. My SES light went off on my way to the house, so I was unable to read the code. If it quits raining here, I'll go out and get a sound clip of what its doing. At the end of this clip you can kind of hear what it is doing.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22890617&hl=en

Do you'll think I can rule a knock sensor out of the question?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

have your car scanned at autozone. if there was a light then the code may still be stored. It doesnt clear the code at the same time as the light... it takes quite a few cycles to get rid of the code completely

NBM
    98 Trans Am

I wasn't aware of that. I thought it cleared out as soon as the light went off. I'll take it and see what the scoop was on the code.

Thread Information