Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Going to the track on Sept. 24, need advise

Well I just had my car dyno tuned to 351whp by Race Prep, and wanna see what she will do. The mods on my car are as follows:
    Z06 cam, Lid, SLP Pulley (Don't buy, trust me), Thunder Racing Catback, Throttle Body Bypass, LCA's, Panhard Bar, and BFG Drag Radials.

Last time out I cut a 13.5 sec. pass at 106 mph w/ the cam untuned (It's making about 20whp more now), w/ a miserable 2.2 sec. 60'. It's weird cause I cut the same 60' times on DR's and street tires, go figure (Car wouldn't spin at all w/ DR's, just bogged, even at 4500 rpms). What can I do to get some wheelspin, besides dumping the clutch above 5000 rpms???? I don't want to break the 10 bolt rear end. Also I raised my rev limiter to 6600 rpms, so should I just avoid 4th gear altogether, and just keep it in 3rd until the home stretch??? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Any guesses as to what my 1/4 mile time will be would be appreciated. Thanks

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

i would say 13.00 if you can get it off the line. mine ran 13.4 tuesday with LT,borla,mickey thompson drag radials, free mods. but like you said i dumped it at 4000 and just bogged it down. I wonder what the breaking point is for the stock 10 bolt? I guess i will find out once I get the juice on. good luck. I'm not knocking you or your car but those numbers sound low for a cam? a guy at our track has a mild kinda rough idle cam,LTs, 3000 stall, LM and ran 11.77 @115? who knows I guess but good luck all the same. post up your new times

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Well the Z06 cam isn't all that aggressive. I should be running high 12's, provided I was a good driver, but i'll be content to run low 13's. I just can't seem to entice any wheelspin w/ the DR's. It's really pathetic that I can't burn outta the hole. I'll see what I can muster, but try to keep the 10 bolt at the same time.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

what kind of DR are you using? I launched 6 times Tuesday @4000 rpm on MT DR and now ive got a little viberation but I probably have at least 150 passes on the rear end and 50-60 on DR. why they put that little cheap weak rearend in these cars we'll never know?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

They put in the beefed up S10 rearend to save money, and because stock the car really doesn't need a 12 bolt. Of course GM knew that we weren't gonna mod it. I'm not experiencing rearend whine, so i'm lucky. Sounds like your rear is about to go. Luckily you can probably find a 12 bolt on ebay fairly cheap.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

well the bad thing is I just put a new Spec Stage III clutch in and had a baby two weeks ago so cash is kinda scarce. Hopefully a new Strange in the future unless the old one grenades before then, I should probably stay away from the track huh.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I'd stay clear of the track until you can afford a new rearend. BTW good decision on the clutch, alot of people prefer that clutch. Is it easy to modulate?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

modulate? it is a nice clutch but the SLP flywheel isn't great the freaking bolts vibrated loose from the motor within 247 miles because of the so called normal break in vibration. what do you mean by the modulate upgrade?
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Modulate meaning is it easy to drive around town, and also to control wheelspin. I've noticed the stock clutch heats up too quick, and won't shift worth a bean down the track, as it gets mushy after just a few passes.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

the Spec does work really well on the track. the last time before I put it in I missed 2nd twice, and 3rd four times it just wasn't working at all. this one works a thousand times better.

Thread Information