Greetings from Detroit

Hello everyone.
    A little about me:
    I've tinkered around with project cars since college. I have an '08 BMW335xi, an '03 Subaru WRX, an '89 Nissan 240sx (with an '87 Mazda rotary turbo swap), a '79 Datsun 280z, and a '73 Checker Marathon A11 (plus an old pickup truck and the wife's Volvo Station Wagon).
    Typically only 2 of these vehicles is in working order at any given time

Since I don't have enough cars, I am planning out an LS-based vehicle project, so I thought I should sign up to this forum.
    I have most of what I need for a mock up, including: LS1 bare block, LM7 cylinder heads, a Powerglide trans, a C5 LSD, and complete C5 front and rear sub-frames (springs/knuckles/rotors/calipers/dampers/A-arms/steering rack). I also have a couple decades worth of various fuel system, ignition system, stand-alone ECUs, seats, steering wheels, etc. collecting dust in my garage.

I have a CNC converted Bridgeport mill, a Heavy 10L Southbend lathe, which I have gotten pretty good at over the years. I also have a bunch of TIG welding equipment, which I have NOT gotten pretty good at over the years, but luckily I have a buddy that is.

I've been working as a Mechanical Engineer for about 17 years now, and have a bunch of CAD software and analysis tools at my disposal.

The goal for the new LS project is basically to build a large go-kart-type of vehicle from "scratch". probably with the engine in the back (middle), connected to the Powerglide, then directly into the C5 diff (no driveshaft or "torque tube" needed). I'd prefer a 5 or 6 MT transmission, but anything strong enough for the TRQ I am planning is way too expensive for me. Conversely, Powerglides can be made pretty strong with not much money, if you can tolerate only 2 speeds and the slush-box. At least I can easily set up a manual shift lever and valve body.

I know this sounds like a huge undertaking, but I have so many parts and equipment on-hand it seems like an achievable goal. Hopefully I will get it drive-able in time for my mid-life crisis coming up in a couple years. Besides, I already have enough "ordinary" fun cars, so I want to try my hand at building something crazy from scratch.

~Cheers
    Max

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Welcome!
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1