Thread: going faster

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

going faster

I know everybody is talking about power which is great.What i wanted to know in order what i could to a 1998 trans am convertible with headers long tube full exhaust, subframe connecters , strut tower bar and slp lid.The car was tunned by frost and it runs amazing. I want to know what suspensions upgrades to make the car to handle the new power.The car is automatic with 273 gears any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    I know everybody is talking about power which is great.What i wanted to know in order what i could to a 1998 trans am convertible with headers long tube full exhaust, subframe connectors , strut tower bar and slp lid.The car was tunned by frost and it runs amazing. I want to know what suspensions upgrades to make the car to handle the new power.The car is automatic with 273 gears any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I recommend getting all tubular suspension arms and making sure the shocks are up to snuff. I am more into handling than drag racing but I can't imagine that your setup is giving you much more than 345 rwhp and similar torque rating; and with a 2.73 rear, I don't figure anything unconventional will be in order for the car to pull OK.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

Thank you for your response

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Better springs, shocks and Lower Control Arms would help a lot. Eventually a torque arm too. That would be great for a bolt on car only to modest upgrades.

I use UMI Performance for all mine. I'm not sponsored or have received any free products from them for my devotion. I truly love their stuff and it hasn't failed me once.

Now if they see this and happen to want to send me a Christmas gift I just need the entire front end stuff to finish me off. (K member, upper and lower a arms)
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

Thank you for your reply and definitely they should hook you up.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Better springs, shocks and Lower Control Arms would help a lot. Eventually a torque arm too. That would be great for a bolt on car only to modest upgrades.

I use UMI Performance for all mine. I'm not sponsored or have received any free products from them for my devotion. I truly love their stuff and it hasn't failed me once.

Now if they see this and happen to want to send me a Christmas gift I just need the entire front end stuff to finish me off. (K member, upper and lower a arms)
    I second UMI. I have UMI's Upper and Lower Control Arms, Rear Suspension Arms, and Panhard Rod. Only problem I had was the Panhard Rod End backing off, and coming off to scrape ground, just replaced with another one, and put some black spray paint on the threads, behind the nut, to add a smidge of resistance.

Between these parts and my Z06 wheels, I probably have shave about 40 or so pounds off of the car, with the suspension.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

Thank you so much for answering i definitely am going to put a torque arm and some really good shocks and struts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I used to have the STB (Shock Tower Brace) and DSL (Driveshaft Safety Loop) from UMI. I sold the STB and made a custom one to clearance my FAST 102 Intake and the DSL hung too low for the the street with a lowered car so I found one that tucks it up perfectly in the well from Midwest Chassis.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

After suspension and chassis 3.73s and a 34-3500 stall range converter
    With the gears if you decide to keep the stock 10 Bolt I'd keep the 2 series carrier and 2 series 3.73s (thicker and stronger) and a girdle style diff cover

Thread Information