RED
    2002 Z-28

considering 99 TA with 96k..any thoughts?

been looking at a 99 trans am convertible to play around with in the nicer weather[now that winters comin..] white with a white top.looks nice,paint appears decent and body overall nice.has ls1 with 96k on it. askin price is 6900,supposedly is a 3 owner car all local and one was a woman. anything particular i should go into detail about when givin the car a really good going over.im not real familiar with the trans am so im not sure what goes wrong with them alot. did have a 02 camaro that had the ls1 and 70k and had rear end probs and stereo was garbage! thanks for any info!

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Check for t-top leaking...Seems to be a major issue with lots of them (mine included)

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

usual fbody issues, which are few and none are major, most are just cheap build lol. Check to see it the headlight motors are original or need attention use to grinding/etc. Check power antenna.

The only place I've seen rust really start on these cars is between rear floorboard the LCA bracket attachment points
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by excrider121 View Post
    Check for t-top leaking...Seems to be a major issue with lots of them (mine included)
    He's looking at a vert.....

Op, these 2 threads should help you...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/differe...y-years-27512/

Now with a vert I'd look hard at the rear qtr panels for any signs of body flex, make sure the top cover motor works well and check for any tears. Motor and tranny you should already know from previous experience.

if you do pick it up and it has no SFC's my first investment would be 3 point SFC's That way you'll have no worries of body flex.

Asking price doesn't seem to far off. I make the 3rd owner of mine and got it for $6500 with 108k miles 3 yrs ago.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 10-18-2012 at 11:10 AM.

RED
    2002 Z-28

thanks for the info,i never thought of the headlight motors,not used to them flipping,seems like that is a breakdown waiting to happen! im sure the pinion seal is wet,all i ever seen has been anyway,not that concerned about that really,unless its leaving a puddle..body flex should be pretty obvious as stated in the guide to buying a F body,i didnt see anything noticeable. it appears to be completely stock as well,not even a k&n filter..which is probably a good thing knowing it wasnt modded and had the crap run out of it! hey smws6ta...any issues at the mileage your at?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I bought mine with 120,000 on it 2 years ago for $6200.

Best $6200 I have ever spent,I have had a blast with it
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by ddw350 View Post
    thanks for the info,i never thought of the headlight motors,not used to them flipping,seems like that is a breakdown waiting to happen! im sure the pinion seal is wet,all i ever seen has been anyway,not that concerned about that really,unless its leaving a puddle..body flex should be pretty obvious as stated in the guide to buying a F body,i didnt see anything noticeable. it appears to be completely stock as well,not even a k&n filter..which is probably a good thing knowing it wasnt modded and had the crap run out of it! hey smws6ta...any issues at the mileage your at?

currently has 166k miles and still running strong. Knock on wood....... Of course I've done a "little" mod work with mine see signature. In addition to my 8.8 rear project I have a LQ4 short block in storage that is my next major project. I plan on keeping the LS1 and look for a classic car or truck to throw it into.

If I ever get a Vert I know I wouldn't be doing all that I have on this one. A vert would be my cruising car.

If you do get her, I strongly suggest the SFC's.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information