po343 code and 8.1l

I have a 2001 chevy 2500hd with the 8.1L with allison. Service engine light came on and replaced the camshaft position sensor and the fuel filter. Code still comes back.

Truck idles fine and has power to 3000 rpm while driving in drive.
    Truck will not go over 3000 rpm in park. I can get over 3000 rpm when manually shifting through the gears. Truck will start fine when cold but have to hold gas pedal to start to when warm. There is no black smoke or smell of fuel. Truck does not die or idle like it has skipped timing.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, I have a truck with the exact problem, did you happen to figure it out?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by alrididn View Post
    I have a 2001 chevy 2500hd with the 8.1L with allison. Service engine light came on and replaced the camshaft position sensor and the fuel filter. Code still comes back.

Truck idles fine and has power to 3000 rpm while driving in drive.
    Truck will not go over 3000 rpm in park. I can get over 3000 rpm when manually shifting through the gears. Truck will start fine when cold but have to hold gas pedal to start to when warm. There is no black smoke or smell of fuel. Truck does not die or idle like it has skipped timing.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    When you replace either the cam or the crank position sensor, you need to run the relearn proceedure, that is both the sensors need to be in relationship to each other, so the timing will be correct. I believe it has to do with finding "top dead center" on #1 cylinder.

In order to run the relearn proceedure you need a special machine, I believe it is called a "Tech II" or equivilant.

I had my cam sensor replaced, and the local mechanic ran the relearn proceedure for me.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 09-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It just goes to show that car manufacturers do not want us under the hood. They want the vehicles back at the dealerships to help out the franchise owners. Thank God for companies like Snap On who make these special tools that allow us to make a choice for repairs. The only time your vehicle should go back to the dealer is for warranty work or to be traded in. JMO.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    It just goes to show that car manufacturers do not want us under the hood. They want the vehicles back at the dealerships to help out the franchise owners. Thank God for companies like Snap On who make these special tools that allow us to make a choice for repairs. The only time your vehicle should go back to the dealer is for warranty work or to be traded in. JMO.
    +1 on that, none of my vehicles ever sees the dealership except for the warranty work. My new vehicle was offered 2 free oil changes from the GMC dealer, and I will not take advantage of that either.

SteveC

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    +1 on that, none of my vehicles ever sees the dealership except for the warranty work. My new vehicle was offered 2 free oil changes from the GMC dealer, and I will not take advantage of that either.

SteveC
    Good for you. The only reason you got those oil changes is so the mechanics can inspect you car to find something not covered by the warranty. I wish we could buy vehicles directly from the manufacturer. JMO

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I cant remember how many threads I've read where people got on one of these boards and ended up throwing a ton of parts at a problem, spending alot more than it would have been if they had just taken it to a qualified dealer tech who could diagnose it for a flat fee. And not everyone has the means or the skills to fix their newer car. Do some people get screwed? Yep. But not all dealerships are like that.

Thread Information