NIUK! NIUK!..WOO!WOO!WOO! LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN's Avatar

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Differential question

How do i find out if i have a Posi or limited slip rear end.
    I have a 99 Trans am non-WS6

Thanks in Advance

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Peel out and look for two rubber patches. If not, congrats on your one wheel wonder.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

we all have limited slip, because if we posi, it would be impossible to drive in the rain or snow. posi locks the wheels together and does not slip at all. id explain more, but it would be easier to just go howstuffwork.com
    unless im mistakin and they offered posi's in some.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    we all have limited slip, because if we posi, it would be impossible to drive in the rain or snow. posi locks the wheels together and does not slip at all. id explain more, but it would be easier to just go howstuffwork.com
    unless im mistakin and they offered posi's in some.
    Limited slip and positraction are the exact same thing. What you describe as locking the wheels together all the time and not slipping is the definition of a locker or a spool.

Positraction is just the term GM decided to use for their limited slip differentials.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm
    Last edited by intheclouds1977; 06-02-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN View Post
    How do i find out if i have a Posi or limited slip rear end.
    I have a 99 Trans am non-WS6

Thanks in Advance
    all v8 of this generation came with a limited slip diff. Posi is a general term for rear that puts power to both wheels. The better type of "posi" out of these cars is the torsen lsd found in the later fourth gens.

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Thanks for the replies!
    Ive seen quite a few T/A burnouts and both wheels turn. I assumed mine does the same thing since i have a T/A too but then i ran into something on the internet that specified that the LS1 TA's had some limited slips. So if i were to burn out would both wheels spin? (of course after turning off the TCS)

the dumb thing is that im not even into doing burn outs myself (fear of Tranny, diff and tires getting destroyed) but its just one of those things that i gotta know...LOL
    Last edited by LIGHTNINGMCQUEEN; 06-02-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the replies!
    Ive seen quite a few T/A burnouts and both wheels turn. I assumed mine does the same thing since i have a T/A too but then i ran into something on the internet that specified that the LS1 TA's had some limited slips. So if i were to burn out would both wheels spin? (of course after turning off the TCS)

the dumb thing is that im not even into doing burn outs myself (fear of Tranny, diff and tires getting destroyed) but its just one of those things that i gotta know...LOL
    yea they should both turn unless your lsd is wore out. When the clutches inside get worn they will only spin one sometimes even with lsd. But most cars have good one its running them really hard on slicks or having been through gear failures and bearings the metal particles wear out lsd yours should be fine. I'd have your rear fluid changed to half lucas and half synthetic.

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    Limited slip and positraction are the exact same thing. What you describe as locking the wheels together all the time and not slipping is the definition of a locker or a spool.

Positraction is just the term GM decided to use for their limited slip differentials.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm
    Very interesting...i really didnt know that. I gotta tell ya i learn something new almost everyday on this forum.

Thanks!

BLACK
    1999 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    yea they should both turn unless your lsd is wore out. When the clutches inside get worn they will only spin one sometimes even with lsd. But most cars have good one its running them really hard on slicks or having been through gear failures and bearings the metal particles wear out lsd yours should be fine. I'd have your rear fluid changed to half lucas and half synthetic.
    I did the rear fluid change about a month and a half ago and put Mobil 1 synthetic and the GM additive. I heard that was fine for the diff.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I did the rear fluid change about a month and a half ago and put Mobil 1 synthetic and the GM additive. I heard that was fine for the diff.
    yea thats good. Just as long as you have some high quality fresh stuff in there your good. Rear oil change tends to get neglected on many vehicles!

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

with a car with this much power you need a lsd. although the gt500 doesn't. that car is very dangerous. ford is cheap they only go for horsepower numbers with their stangs, well and looks.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    with a car with this much power you need a lsd. although the gt500 doesn't. that car is very dangerous. ford is cheap they only go for horsepower numbers with their stangs, well and looks.
    When both rear tires break loose at the same time, you can find yourself in trouble really quickly. LS may provide more traction at most times, but when traction is lost in a RWD car with a LS, you better know what you're doing. I wouldn't call a car without a LS dangerous. If anything, it's safer on a DD IMO. You'll definitely burn individual tires up faster though if you keep spinning one tire everywhere you go.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ depends. the kinda guy that might buy a gt500 or ws6 is likely someone who likes to floor it out of corners. lsd is what really helps in cornering. but i get your point. my dad had a 78 V8 camaro with the good ol 350 in it when he was a teen and it had lsd. made it fishtail, spinning out every time.

Thread Information