Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

How is the build going? I am STILL gathering parts for my 8.8 build. I just recently found a 3.5" piece of round stock in the scrap bin approx 8" long. Now I can turn the bushings for the alignment bar, I already have a hefty bar I verified is straight. I appreciate your measurements on the alignment bushings, saved me having to check the measurements to know the round stock would work for me. Any updates?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Funny you should ask.....just working on this today....was going to wait a little bit till I update but since you ask here goes.

UPDATE:

Well I've had to come to terms with some recent set backs lately. Since my original welder has taken a job out of state for a yr or so I had to look for another and then my motor decide to itself so now I can't move it till it's fix.

So......to get some progress I'm changing gears with this build.

I also am changing my plans instead of a four link like I want I am going to torque arm design. I have a torque arm mount kit (that needs to be welded up, more on this later) coming in that will let me use my torque arm. My new welder will be able to do what is required in regards to using nickle rod and pre/post heat the center section.

As soon as I get the kit in I'll add some pics and explain the concept some more.

The kit is being called the "Hillsty Torque Arm Mount Kit" Names after the guy that designed it and makes them, Cost $40 for the pieces.

Here is what it looks like done

Navy Blue Metallic

If you are swapping the housing ends over to 9" in order for your LS or LT brake mount plate to bolt on you will need to order these guys:

Moser sells them for $15.00. If you forget to order them with a big order I suggest calling them and asking them to mail out in regular mail. Otherwise shipping will cost more then the $15.

Sorry for the extremely large pic...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Funny you should ask.....just working on this today....was going to wait a little bit till I update but since you ask here goes.

UPDATE:

Well I've had to come to terms with some recent set backs lately. Since my original welder has taken a job out of state for a yr or so I had to look for another and then my motor decide to itself so now I can't move it till it's fix.

So......to get some progress I'm changing gears with this build.

I also am changing my plans instead of a four link like I want I am going to torque arm design. I have a torque arm mount kit (that needs to be welded up, more on this later) coming in that will let me use my torque arm. My new welder will be able to do what is required in regards to using nickle rod and pre/post heat the center section.

As soon as I get the kit in I'll add some pics and explain the concept some more.

The kit is being called the "Hillsty Torque Arm Mount Kit" Names after the guy that designed it and makes them, Cost $40 for the pieces.

Here is what it looks like done

Click for full size

Click for full size
    That looks fricking awesome!!

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah his does. He's been very helpfull

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the heads up on the hardware kit, I wouldn't have thought I would need new hardware to hang the brakes. I am thinking of building a torque arm similar to the one Maximum Motorsports makes for the Mustangs. It is designed to work with the 8.8 housing on a Mustang and I have read the design applies the force to the housing equally, avoiding traction issues caused by the torque arm being mounted to the one side. I also won't have to weld to the housing either. Are you familiar with the one I am talking about? Here is a link: MM Torque-arm, 1979-04 Mustang, 8.8 axle, Standard-Duty [MMTA-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Navy Blue Metallic

I've seen that. I'm telling you the mount kit I'm getting works well I'll pm you his thread, it's a long read but worth it.

There are a few ways to beat this horse. I'm always open to learning new stuff.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have read hiltzy's build thread. I have never welded to cast and don't know anyone who has. Rather than play with that can of worms, I decided to build a custom torque arm. I am comfortable welding that. Like you said, there is more than one way to remove the hide from a feline.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bad idea View Post
    I have read hiltzy's build thread. I have never welded to cast and don't know anyone who has. Rather than play with that can of worms, I decided to build a custom torque arm. I am comfortable welding that. Like you said, there is more than one way to remove the hide from a feline.
    That's because it's a bad idea - if you're talking about cast iron.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quoted from hiltzy's build thread: I was pretty sure the housing was ductile / nodular iron (not gray iron) but just to be sure I cut one of the sensor ears off and sent it to our foundry QC guy for analysis. He confirmed the housing is indeed ductile so I feel comfortable moving ahead with a weld-on TA mount.

So, it is very do able, but I don't want to mess with that. Hiltzy has been beating on his for a while and it has held up well. If you haven't read his 8.8 build thread, it is worth reading.

Navy Blue Metallic

Ben you are correct.

Here is the kit I got from him, the white sheet are the diagram and directions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is a sweet looking setup for the torque arm mount.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Dammit Scott, that kit looks pretty good. Now you are making me think it may be easier just to install that. I am sure I could manage a quality weld job on the cast center section. How much did that kit run you?

Navy Blue Metallic

$40 shipped

Navy Blue Metallic

Here is a pic of the T bolts I was talking about.

Navy Blue Metallic

I got bored and itching to do something, anything today with my bird. So I called up a friend that has his Camaro that is getting a LS1 swap done if I could come over and test something. I bring over my 8.8 rear. I wanted to hook it up and just test fit to see if any issues. I figure best to do now before I continue.....

So here are some pics:

A couple of minor issues with the relocation brackets but nothing a drill bit won't fix. Everything lined up and I wish the pic that I took of looking down the center of the trans tunnel would have come out better, You could see it was centered just right.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I'm confused. Why didn't you bolt it in your car? Is yours serving daily driver duty and you need it for work tomorrow? How much you got left to do to the rear axle? Everything lined up right then? I plan on ordering my axle ends from Moser some time this week. So I need axle ends and a bolt kit? Then at a later date I will need to order axles. Anything else from them? Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic

My bird is down hard, last Nov around Thanksgiving I spun a rod. I thought it was something else and was sorta chasing gremlins. So I hit pause on this project because I thought it was going to be an easy fix like push rods, lifters maybe even valve springs. No such luck.

In the middle of my third test drive this came up...

So now that the garage has been cleared out, this week I'll be building a work bench that is much needed and should have been built long time ago. Once I have it done, I'll be pulling the bird in and begin tear down. I hope to get most of it out before I have shoulder surgery.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good idea on the test fit -- especially before you get it all painted up.

Navy Blue Metallic

Had an opportunity today and took it.

I pressed the bearings on the axles while at the P-cola Navy base, They have a auto shop that you can work on there

Cost me.........drum roll............$5.00 total

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information