Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Pretty sure it was the '84 SS. I've had a thing for manual transmissions since before I could drive, I just like to control my vehicles that way. Super rare today, most you'd find are probably a conversion.

Rare, like a 5-speed manual was for the Pontiac GTP Grand Prix, there first year of production with the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam engine
    <<<---------Which was 91 .. The trany was the Muncie Getrag 284.. The only 5spd that is capable of holding the TDC in any capacity, and the only 5spd it ever came bolted to.. You can literaly name almost ANY GM v8 and a Muncie 284 has been used beside them (see Fiero).. Everything from SBC's, BBC's, and many LSx's engines.. Some have used the Muncie 282 with success.. But they don't like being shifted over 6k.. Early TDC's pull through 7k.. They will still bolt just about anywhere a Northstar lives too.. Sorry for the thread jack..

She's looking really good Jeff! Hard work rarely pays like it does on old cars.. Hope the debil mice have moved on...
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-25-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Pretty sure it was the '84 SS. I've had a thing for manual transmissions since before I could drive, I just like to control my vehicles that way. Super rare today, most you'd find are probably a conversion.

Rare, like a 5-speed manual was for the Pontiac GTP Grand Prix, there first year of production with the 3.4 Twin Dual Cam engine
    i have never seen a factory 81- 88 four speed monte. now the el camino had some, and the ss front clip was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have never seen a factory 81- 88 four speed monte. now the el camino had some, and the ss front clip was the same.
    As far as I remember that's all I've ever seen as well. I Used to see the el caminos with the 4 speed manuals when the cars were new, but even then it was an oddity.
    I've also seen them in the Gbody Malibus and standard Gbody Monte Carlos, but I have never seen one in a Gbody Monte SS before.

Would be neat though. Nothing wrong with those factory 200 4R's though. They have been built to survive behind 9 second Grand Nationals. I used to live up the street from Lonnie that runs Extreme Automatics, he builds these trannies for most of the Grand Nationals accross the country, I've been impressed with their capabilities.
    They also have a much better gear spread than the 700's. With a 2.74 first gear, 1.57 second, and 1:1 3rd. None of that rediculous 3.06 first gear crap. Their 4th gear offers more overdrive than the 700 as well with a .67
    Not to mention that alot of them also came with a unibolt bell housing, which means they bolt right up to a BOP (buick, olds, pontiac) engine without adaptors.

All these reasons are what makes them so popular with retrofit swaps.

Ray Charles blue

Saw a ratted out Monte in Williamsport this morning but last night I saw a cool car. 1969 Camaro, lowered, cowl hood, and painted flat black. It was killer looing and had some big ole fat meats on the back. All that was chrome was the bumpers and I think it had the chrome drip rails on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    <<<---------Which was 91 .. The trany was the Muncie Getrag 284.. The only 5spd that is capable of holding the TDC in any capacity, and the only 5spd it ever came bolted to.. You can literaly name almost ANY GM v8 and a Muncie 284 has been used beside them (see Fiero).. Everything from SBC's, BBC's, and many LSx's engines.. Some have used the Muncie 282 with success.. But they don't like being shifted over 6k.. Early TDC's pull through 7k.. They will still bolt just about anywhere a Northstar lives too.. Sorry for the thread jack..

She's looking really good Jeff! Hard work rarely pays like it does on old cars.. Hope the debil mice have moved on...
    A girl I dated in high school had one of these. I think it was siver or gray. Cool car and rare.

Jeffs car is amazing on the inside and the outside is pretty darn good as well. The inside is like a time machine.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I might have been confused, but reading the wiki article said that 1984 SS's for Mexico had a 350, not a 305, and these had the 4-speed manual option. It also reports that the '85-up SS's had 3.73 gearing.

I might have been confused, but reading the wiki article said that 1984 SS's for Mexico had a 350, not a 305, and these had the 4-speed manual option. It also reports that the '85-up SS's had 3.73 gearing.

You are probably right. Maybe we should go south of the border and hunt for G bodies Just bring you weapons and bullet proof vests

Ray Charles blue

How many were killed today? Something like 50 or so? I bet someone leaving the scene was in a Monte.....lol

I like the Montes, nice lines and the last of the decent looking 2 doors from GM. As for as halfway family cars go.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    How many were killed today? Something like 50 or so? I bet someone leaving the scene was in a Monte.....lol
    Probably a good bet to make

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have never read that. it may be true. but 87-88 have limited slip 3:73 gears. 83-86 i'm pretty sure were lower. i loved these cars since i was 14. so i did a lot of homework back then. but i may have forgotten some.
    i did go 15.8 at 88 with my 87 stock aerocoupe.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Probably a good bet to make
    Actually I think some drug cartel in ole Mexico killed something like 50 migrant workers who were trying to get in to the USA. I guess those folks were blocking the path way and the cartel was being held up, had an early meeting in Phonix.

I really like the purplish color that came on the Monte Carlo. In college a kid had one.....he claimed he had a dirt track engine in it but it was more of a mosquito fogger than anything. Oh and it had the sheepskin covers on the seats....lol

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Actually I think some drug cartel in ole Mexico killed something like 50 migrant workers who were trying to get in to the USA. I guess those folks were blocking the path way and the cartel was being held up, had an early meeting in Phonix.
    I don't doubt you one bit. There has been so much killing down there within the last year I quit keeping track of it. Law enforcement tells everyone to not go within 60 miles of the border for your own protection. When you get that close there are tons of dirt roads off the beaten path, and the drug runners use them heavily. Run accross a band of them and you get shot. Which is what started this whole 1070 bill that has made national news.
    We went to Tombstone late last year, and wanted to venture off on some dirt roads to see some forgotten ghost towns. The locals advised us not to. I took their advice

Impulse Blue
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have never read that. it may be true. but 87-88 have limited slip 3:73 gears. 83-86 i'm pretty sure were lower. i loved these cars since i was 14. so i did a lot of homework back then. but i may have forgotten some.
    i did go 15.8 at 88 with my 87 stock aerocoupe.
    I don't know about that. My mom's 84 SS ran 15.4 when it was new. For some reason the 83-84 Monte's ran better than the later Monte's. Even with the later having better rear and tranny gearing...go figure.

I never had my 85 to the track but it sure felt like a dog. It runs a lot better now that my Dad swapped a LT1/4L60E in it. Its more of a cruiser though. He did get the 84 down to 12.7 before he sold it a few years ago.
    Rob
    04 GTO
    96 WS6

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We may make a run or two down the track at Beaver Springs just to see what she does. Finally finished flushing the cooling system tonight and will start putting it all back together this weekend. I have to change out the valve cover gaskets still. The passenger side is not looking like a whole lot of fun.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I don't know about that. My mom's 84 SS ran 15.4 when it was new. For some reason the 83-84 Monte's ran better than the later Monte's. Even with the later having better rear and tranny gearing...go figure.

I never had my 85 to the track but it sure felt like a dog. It runs a lot better now that my Dad swapped a LT1/4L60E in it. Its more of a cruiser though. He did get the 84 down to 12.7 before he sold it a few years ago.
    i'll pull the time slip out of the ss tomm. just for shits and giggles. it was hot as hell. that i do remember. all i had was a 2400 stall. rest was stock.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We may make a run or two down the track at Beaver Springs just to see what she does. Finally finished flushing the cooling system tonight and will start putting it all back together this weekend. I have to change out the valve cover gaskets still. The passenger side is not looking like a whole lot of fun.
    If the engine runs well, I expect you to report mid-15s.

My brother's 1986 had 3.73 gearing, but I could still beat him with my old beater 1967 4-speed Firebird I had then.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

If the engine runs well, I expect you to report mid-15s.

My brother's 1986 had 3.73 gearing, but I could still beat him with my old beater 1967 4-speed Firebird I had then.
    Yeah they can run good but 15's is prolly a little high for a huge car with a v8 not even producing 200hp crank. More likey a 16-18 second car.. They are sloooooow.. They were good looking cars tho, but that's about it.. They built a billion models of those and now a days you only see SS's if there are still any of those years of Montes still on the road.. Standard Lumina replaced Monte's and the north American z34 with a TDC replaced the SS's. Then in later years when Monte's came backthe sporty lol models where later renamed z34.. The smaller 1st gen, (only 6in longer and 200ish lbs heavier than 4th gen 3800 f-body) lighter, faster, 91-94 z34, shared the same large interior that can seat 5 comfortably..On top of that the TDC was around 20-40+ish crank HP over the TBI, and carbed 305's. TPI on a 305 is close to but still below stock TDC Multi Port numbers.. The 1992 z34 had body panels so rust resistant, that they where covered till 2002.. That's why I'm amazed @ Jeffs find.. Normally a Monte that is still in daily service is a pile of rust/junk from those years... If you find one @ all..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-27-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yeah they can run good but 15's is prolly a little high for a huge car with a v8 not even producing 200hp crank. More likey a 16-18 second car.. They are sloooooow.. They were good looking cars tho, but that's about it.. They built a billion models of those and now a days you only see SS's if there are still any of those years of Montes still on the road.. Standard Lumina replaced Monte's and the north American z34 with a TDC replaced the SS's. Then in later years when Monte's came backthe sporty lol models where later renamed z34.. The smaller 1st gen, (only 6in longer and 200ish lbs heavier than 4th gen 3800 f-body) lighter, faster, 91-94 z34, shared the same large interior that can seat 5 comfortably..On top of that the TDC was around 20-40+ish crank HP over the TBI, and carbed 305's. TPI on a 305 is close to but still below stock TDC Multi Port numbers.. The 1992 z34 had body panels so rust resistant, that they where covered till 2002.. That's why I'm amazed @ Jeffs find.. Normally a Monte that is still in daily service is a pile of rust/junk from those years... If you find one @ all..

I remember Road and Track reporting mid 15s for the Monte SS, circa 1986. When they were new. The GPs and Olds 442 (even with their "lightening rod" shifter) were about .7 slower.

Yeah they can run good but 15's is prolly a little high for a huge car with a v8 not even producing 200hp crank. More likey a 16-18 second car.. They are sloooooow.. They were good looking cars tho, but that's about it..

They did run in the 15's. I remember these cars well, my father had 2 of them. Rubber in second gear even.
    305's aren't considered the performance standard but they actually didn't run all that bad considering the era. They really aren't that heavy of a car either. The Gbodies were the last of the full frame rear wheel drive cars (88 was it) other than the full size impalas. Great platform to build from. Those G bodies actually weighed right in the 34-3500 lbs. range,,,,just about what a 4th gen weighs.

Cracks me up when you say huge car,,,hahaha,,,,they are only considered a mid size car. Not huge at all by any means.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

the wife was sick today so i really didnt do anything. to get the slips i forgot. but the picture i have framed on my wall for the 87 aerocoupe says 17.0 at 81.5
    180 hp 275 torque. i know my 60 fots were not to bad. then about mid track it was just a dog.
    when i have some time i'll take a picture and post all the stats.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ours seems to get away from a stop quite nicely. It'll lay down some rubber in the process if you ask it to. I think "fall on its face" is about right as the transmission seems to be a bit of an issue. It wants to get in high gear as fast as it can... must be the mileage misers of the mid-80's had their hands on it.

Finished the flush around midnight last night. Just have to top off the coolant, replace a few vacuum lines, and fire it back up. Not too bad a job except for all the hoses, wires and emissions crap laying all over the top of the engine.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information