Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Lt1 Vs. Ls1

00 pewter Z28
    1NASTZ

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    dependability? The LT1 has been around longer and its actually more proven than the LS1. Vettes had the LT1 for a decade or so. And I know there were some major changes, but you'd think with all those changes, it would be a stronger motor. 93 octane only blows so hard and they have to get some kind of gas mileage out of these things. And 350 cubic inches, is 350 cubic inches. (ok ok 347) haha This topic is getting so old. haha I think we're crying over spilled milk.

http://home.comcast.net/~chad97z/beccol.mp3 Click for full size
    dependability??????? only a slow lt1 guy would say that his car was more dependable then an ls1! do me a favor my man and have fun running low 13's your whole life and dont forget to change your "OPTI"

silver & black
    98 Z-28 Camaro

well the way i see it is, lt1 or ls1, it dont matter as long as you own a CAMARO, TRANS AM, OR FIREBIRD. IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THEM YOUR ALREADY IN THERE, "BUT" IF YOU HAVE THE LS1 YOU WILL BE THE FASTEST CONTENDER. LS1 IS FASTER THAN LT1 STOCK OR MODDED, SEEN IT PROVEN ON STREET TO MANY TIMES....IN MY OWN OPINION

Blue
    1995 S14 240sx SE

ok after sitting back and reading this entire thread i feel as though i wasted a good 20 minutes.

Chad or whatever your name is, no personal offense, but you seriously have no clue how incorrect 90% of your statements are. Do what i did and go pick up some literature. Get some real factual not to mention side by side comparisons of the two motors. The LS1 design wise outshines the LT1 up and down. The head designs and more so the bottom end are by far more advanced. Hell look at the valve and injector placement per cylinder of the LS1 and compare it to the LT1 and you tell me why it outflows in every aspect. Lets take it father and compare the bottom end. The LS1 has true 90* head placements, 6 bolt mains, window'd main caps (depending on version), gearotor oil pump, better ignition and computer system (they dont even compare dont argue this)

As far as mod for mod goes the LT1 again doesnt match the lt1. Lets look at them stock for stock

Qouted from Edmunds.com

1998 Camaro z28 (LS1)
    Horsepower: 305 hp Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm
    Torque: 335 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4000 rpm

1997 Camaro z28 (LT1)
    Horsepower: 285 hp Max Horsepower: 5200 rpm
    Torque: 325 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 2400 rpm

Its clear to see yes the LT1 essential makes the same low end touqre almost 2k rpm sooner which explains the "holeshot" kills against the avg stock or bolt on ls1. Yet lets look at the horsepower here. 20whp difference at the same rpm and thats 1k rpm before redline. the head design of the LT1 with its very akward valve and port placement doesnt offer nearly the same high end flow that the LS1 has which is why it holds its power to redline vs the lt1 metering off, which explains the "mad 3 gear blowby".

The LS1 heads IMO are the biggest item when it comes to why it makes more power per mod vs the LT1. Dont give us this "its restricted more from the start" nonsense. Yea its restricted, by design. All internal combustion engines work on the same principal. They are essentially air pumps. The more air you can get in and burn off (combust) and get out the exhaust the more power it makes. Head flow has the most to do with this period. The heads just dont compare.

If you dont mind taking a few days out of your life and reading and actually learning something i reccomend picking up a book

"How to Build High-Performance Chevy Ls1/Ls6 Engines"
    by Will Handzel

they show picture for picture the major upgrades and differences between the ls1 and the lt1. they are far from the same motor.

On a final note. I dont consider cost as a valid arguement for any build or automotive comparison or debate. I picked up a 99 camaro z28 with motor and transmission for 1500 bux. LSX's are cheap you just need to know how to shop.
    Last edited by datboibrad; 11-09-2006 at 02:02 PM.

choppin-suey: I agree dependability issue is stupid, (unless your car is always breaking)but thats what one of you LS1 owners were bawling about(frankthetank).

datboibrad: You can read your own books and learn that a 97 LT1 with ram air is rated at 305.. *no offense* haha

anyone else wanna roll in the mud with me? you know i'm right... =)

oh btw, I already said a long time ago that the heads on the LS1 are really the only major advantage. Headers on both cars are easily replaced and actually the cam is easier to replace on the LT1 if I am not mistaken.

And if I ever race, I don't like to make my rpms go really over 5500 because my peak power is really not that high. So, LT1's have a lower torque range.. I say use it where it should be used. But the weird thing about LS1's is that its power band is higher RPMs.. And that sometimes tempts unskilled drivers to do 6k+ rpm in a stock motor and they end up breaking something. Bummer.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 11-09-2006 at 03:30 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

so when you race someone and take off from a dead stop your ram air is helping you make 30hp more than a non ramair LT1? *no offence* but that's bull crap. Until you are at high speed ram air does nothing, you make the same power as any other LT1

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    so when you race someone and take off from a dead stop your ram air is helping you make 30hp more than a non ramair LT1? *no offence* but that's bull crap. Until you are at high speed ram air does nothing, you make the same power as any other LT1
    30? can you add or subtract?

besides, all I know is how its rated.. and you can apply the same question to an LS1. So dont hit me with that. g dawg.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

have you answered any of my questions? you try to be witty and a smartass but you havn't answered anything I've said, nor have you responded to most of the facts that have been presented to you be me and the other guys in the thread. Sorry bud but most LT1s are older than yours and rated at 275 not 285 so yeah, 30.

Seriously, stop avoiding the facts. Why havn't you admitted that there is NO way you can do the exact same mods to your LT1 that I have on my LS1 and make anywhere NEAR the power I do? Why have you not listened to any facts that have been given to you? How about you actually approach this discussion openly rather than throwing out baseless opinions. Look at my sig, are you telling me that with those exact mods you could make 374hp at the rear wheels? I know this is from 2 pages ago, but everytime we show you facts you change the subject or just play kiddy games trying to be a smartass

'99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70562

285 + 20 = 305

Blue
    1995 S14 240sx SE

so wait. after all the facts i pointed out you come up with a bs reply about a ram air making 20whp and dont even attempt to prove me wrong on anything else and still expect people to beleive you? you have done absolutely nothing to prove any of your statements and yet you still encourage people to "roll in the mud" with you? i understand fully this is a debate, but there is a line where ignorance and stupid cross and youve been playing red rover on it all day. you sir fail at debate

edit: i realized after typing out another novel to again prove you wrong that its just not even worth it. keep frabricating facts you cant prove to be true, that weve already proven wrong. enjoy your slow LT1 and have a nice day

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by datboibrad View Post
    so wait. after all the facts i pointed out you come up with a bs reply about a ram air making 20whp and dont even attempt to prove me wrong on anything else and still expect people to beleive you? you have done absolutely nothing to prove any of your statements and yet you still encourage people to "roll in the mud" with you? i understand fully this is a debate, but there is a line where ignorance and stupid cross and youve been playing red rover on it all day. you sir fail at debate

edit: i realized after typing out another novel to again prove you wrong that its just not even worth it. keep frabricating facts you cant prove to be true, that weve already proven wrong. enjoy your slow LT1 and have a nice day
    I've tried and tried man, that's all you are gonna get out of him

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Same here oneBADDz and datboibrad.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    the weird thing about LS1's is that its power band is higher RPMs.. And that sometimes tempts unskilled drivers to do 6k+ rpm in a stock motor and they end up breaking something. Bummer.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

datboibrad has it right on the money.....Read that book....it compares all 3 generations of Chevy Small blocks....its an awome read and will teach u allot.

And like oneBADDZ said look at his mods.....show me an lt1 cam only making that power.....LOOK AT MINE! Holy shit.....Cam only and 400 ft#'s of torque!

Dont need to defend it anymore man....just leave it at that and save urself from the onslaught of pissed of people

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

all I know is that when I was looking for an f body I drove a 94 trans am and I was a little unimprest with the pull. I had to go with the 99 z

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    i dunno wtf some of u biased people are smokin to those who think a lt1 stock does mid 14's??...stock auto ones are good from 14-14.2 in normal elevation....the guy who had that bolt on ta must not been able to drive or sumtin was seriously wrong....a lt1 with just longtubes and a cutout is good for mid-high 13's...a full bolt on one ( full exhaust, tune, gears, dr's) are good for low low 13's...theres some that have hit high 12's with no h/c, s/c or spray....hell im sure we mighta seen people with lt1's do mid 14's...well i for one has seen some ls1's not be able to break 13's as some may have at the track as well too...theres many factors that could have caused that.....i know most of people run into stock or lightly modded lt1's with their ls1's and kill em all the time and they get a bad rep.....the ls1 is a superior motor, no doubt....however the lt1 is nothing to shake a stick at either....if u fix some of the main things wrong with it (heads, and get some longtubes) u can run almost neck and neck with a ls1 with similar mods....i do agree that they arent very comparable when it comes to bolt on's but the lt1 does respond very well to mods....

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MIDNITELT1Z View Post
    i dunno wtf some of u biased people are smokin to those who think a lt1 stock does mid 14's??...stock auto ones are good from 14-14.2 in normal elevation....the guy who had that bolt on ta must not been able to drive or sumtin was seriously wrong....a lt1 with just longtubes and a cutout is good for mid-high 13's...a full bolt on one ( full exhaust, tune, gears, dr's) are good for low low 13's...theres some that have hit high 12's with no h/c, s/c or spray....hell im sure we mighta seen people with lt1's do mid 14's...well i for one has seen some ls1's not be able to break 13's as some may have at the track as well too...theres many factors that could have caused that.....i know most of people run into stock or lightly modded lt1's with their ls1's and kill em all the time and they get a bad rep.....the ls1 is a superior motor, no doubt....however the lt1 is nothing to shake a stick at either....if u fix some of the main things wrong with it (heads, and get some longtubes) u can run almost neck and neck with a ls1 with similar mods....i do agree that they arent very comparable when it comes to bolt on's but the lt1 does respond very well to mods....
    True.....LT1 is not something to shake a stick at, AT ALL....I seen one auto run 13.5 with just 4.10's in it. He really held up to my stock 6 spd. But it is not what hes making it out to be.....Trust me a modded out lt1 is a ephin beast, but mod for mod they dont have nothing on an ls1

Blue
    1995 S14 240sx SE

Quote Originally Posted by MIDNITELT1Z View Post
    i think your missing the mark just narrowly. if you read into it a bit more no one is bashing the LT1 in itself but simply saying that compared to the LS1 it takes a significant backseat. its not as if we are comparing it to a 302 here lol. and as far what these cars run stock vs what youve seen them run at the track are two totally different scenarios. and no mod for mod they are not kneck and kneck. close race(2 cars) but definately not going to throw up the same time slips.

Blue
    1995 S14 240sx SE

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    datboibrad has it right on the money.....Read that book....it compares all 3 generations of Chevy Small blocks....its an awome read and will teach u allot.

And like oneBADDZ said look at his mods.....show me an lt1 cam only making that power.....LOOK AT MINE! Holy shit.....Cam only and 400 ft#'s of torque!

Dont need to defend it anymore man....just leave it at that and save urself from the onslaught of pissed of people
    yea dude when i got my ls for my 240sx i wanted to know everything possible. no one could really answer my questions so i started reading. i want to know what i was talking about before spewing false knowledge across the internet or even in face to face situations. when you know it you know it, you dont have to defend it

00 pewter Z28
    1NASTZ

most poeple here need to pick up a magazine and read it, GMHTP has done many articles on lt1 vs. ls1 and always the ls1 has had the better numbers for the mods.

Blue
    1995 S14 240sx SE

yea i think its official for the most part that we are all beating a dead horse. facts are facts and correct is correct. if youve noticed the moronic statements have ceased. let it die.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information