• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11213141575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1385

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Yea if you wanna know oil sarg is the guy, he owns more oil in his garage them probably the oil company's themselfs lol. And also to answer your question about the search this isn't tech!!!!!
    hahah cool. yer i read a few of his posts and he seamed like he knew what he was talking about. thanks

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Steele304vs View Post
    hahah cool. yer i read a few of his posts and he seamed like he knew what he was talking about. thanks
    Of course he knows what he is talking about he is older than dirt and goes to sleep at 8pm lol, he even wears diapers lol. But on the other hand sarg is the guy to goto about 99% of stuff that has to do with cars period along with many people on this board there is always an answer on here!!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Sarge, could you recommend what's the best oil and filter I should run? Right now I'm using amsoil ss0w30 and amsoil filter. Just normal driving and every weekend I do some drag racing. Well right now I want to get into some road racing and the car will see a lot of revs from 3k to 6k for extended periods of time. Could be 30 min sessions and then a break and so on.

This is for a 02' stock LS1 fbody. Only has full exhaust right now but I have plans for a twin turbo setup and keeping the longblock completely untouched.
    I would consider a couple oil...
    First I would recommend is the one your running now.
    2nd would be Mobil1 EP 5-30.

After the turbo install I would consider Mobil1 0-40 or staying with the Amsoil SSO 0-30. Definety a Used Oill Analysis. Mobil1 will have higher lead readings. There is quite alot of debate but the concensus seems to be the higher lead readings is not wear metal but an interaction between the Mobil add packs and the engine componenets.

Finally I must say I have not found a stouter oil than the Amsoil SSO 0-30 for "brutal" environments..

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    I hear that normal blow-back into the intake port cause a build-up there on the valve and in the port. Since the port is dry [no fuel in the air] there is no cleaning or rinsing. No practical way to clean it.
    True. This one of the values of a catch can.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    How does a 'seal conditioner' work? Legend has it that the so-called auto-trans stop-leak & seal conditioner just softened the rubber seals so the would swell for a quick fix. The side effect was that soon afterward, the softened seals would fail and you had a bigger problem than when you started.
    Oils/add packs and seal material has all changed in the past few years. So an accurate answer from a few years ago will not be accurate today.

Softening the seal material is not what is done. Cleaning around the seals is what todays SN oils do. By keeping the seal clean crud is not formed. Crud keeps the oil from reaching the seal. No oil+Heat=cracked seals. Cleaning agents in the oil+Seal=clean/lubricated seals.

Lot of additives on the market will tell you they will swell the seal and stop leaks. Mechanic in a bottle. Homey don't buy that crap. How does it get to the crud encrusted seal? And if it does get to it (partially) it alters the material composition and you usually will have a seal failure because it is too soft now. Lot's of people will change to high detergent synthetic and develop leaks. This is because the cracked seal has been sealed by crud. The HD Oil cleans the crud and you spring a leak.

Moral to this story is quality oil and reasonably oil change intervals and you will not have these issues to begin with. Older cars who have not been maintained or using less than quality oil will need to change the seals then be consistent with oil and oil change intervals.

08 Chrysler

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I would consider a couple oil...
    First I would recommend is the one your running now.
    2nd would be Mobil1 EP 5-30.

After the turbo install I would consider Mobil1 0-40 or staying with the Amsoil SSO 0-30. Definety a Used Oill Analysis. Mobil1 will have higher lead readings. There is quite alot of debate but the concensus seems to be the higher lead readings is not wear metal but an interaction between the Mobil add packs and the engine componenets.

Finally I must say I have not found a stouter oil than the Amsoil SSO 0-30 for "brutal" environments..
    Sounds good, I'll stick with what I'm using then. How many miles could I run the engine with a fresh fill? Should I stick with the oil life system that's in the cars computer? I estimate on a track day I'll put about 50-100 hard miles on it, the rest would be just normal daily use, I think it's safe to say I'll do 80% of normal driving and 20% of racing in the summer.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Steele304vs View Post
    Hahaha.

Thank you for the reply. very thorough.

I assume this is the aluminum block in a GM 2500 truck? 6.0 Vortec ? wait i've got the 6000 6.0L V8 (LS2) without active fuel management though. but for some reason we call them l76???
    What oil is in there now? Right now I have Penrite sin 5 in there
    Do you tow? No
    What percentage is city driving and what percentage is highway driving? Probably 80/20 80% City driving 20% Highway
    Where are you at? The desert? The North Pole? Need to know. Australia (Western Australia)
    Do you have any modifications? Stock as a rock apart from 2.5” cat back exhaust.
    What have your oill change intervals been in the past? Not 100% sure because when I bought the car, from a Holden dealer it “apparently” just had a service, i didn’t trust them because oil looked rather black on the stick. :S I plan on doing it every 5,000km though. coming upto 5000km interval now.
    Have you ever sent your oil in for analysis? No but since you mentioned it, it sounds like something worth doing.

I'm not too concerned about the price, and don't mind getting it shipped from the States.

Thanks in advance
    Not a big Penrite fan here. Sorry. I run a Holden here in Texas myself and am active on Australian boards. Not impressed with UOA lab results of Penrite frankly.
    I would recommend Amsoil 10-30. You can get it in Australia. Outstanding add packs and TBN.
    Link provides locations to purchase Amsoil in Australia..
    http://www.amsoil.com/international/distributors.aspx

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbar View Post
    Sounds good, I'll stick with what I'm using then. How many miles could I run the engine with a fresh fill? Should I stick with the oil life system that's in the cars computer? I estimate on a track day I'll put about 50-100 hard miles on it, the rest would be just normal daily use, I think it's safe to say I'll do 80% of normal driving and 20% of racing in the summer.
    Only a UOA will tell you what you are asking. The OLM only tracks mileage/TPS data/Injector cycles etc. Not the status of the oil.
    Run a fresh fill for a 2000 miles. After the first track day lets look at the analysis.
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Coming from the wise oil man, this is the best endorsement there is.

Black
    2002 Z/28

Sarge,

I just bought my 02 z28 and Im about to do my first oc with her, I am going with Amsoil after reading this thread! What is your thoughts on SS0W-30 vs. European Car Formula 5W-30? Also in a previous post you said you use a K&N filter! Any reason you dont also use an Amsoil filter?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

SSO is what you want. Your not going 15K miles between oil changes I hope.
    I dont use any KN filters anywhere (air or oil) so I guess I am at a loss here. Unless it was a really old post somewhere.

Black
    2002 Z/28

SSO is what you want. Your not going 15K miles between oil changes I hope.
    I dont use any KN filters anywhere (air or oil) so I guess I am at a loss here. Unless it was a really old post somewhere.
    Hell no I dont go 15k!! lol The most Ive pushed it was 7K Using penzoil platium full sythetic! As for the K&N filter it was posted on page one post # 15! What filters (air and oil) do you recomend?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Air=Anything you do not oil.
    Oil= FramXG/Amsoil/Mobil1/Pure One
    Page one? What was that.....2002? LOL J/K.............
    Foat Wuth...my hometown. Hurst...........

Black
    2002 Z/28

Air=Anything you do not oil.
    Oil= FramXG/Amsoil/Mobil1/Pure One
    Page one? What was that.....2002? LOL J/K.............
    Foat Wuth...my hometown. Hurst...........
    Is your oil filter suggestion in order or just any one of those?
    No page one was in 2005! lmao
    Ive lived in Fort Worth most of my life but now live in Hurst!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No any one of those will serve you well.
    When I was raised in Hurst there was nothing but fields north of PipeLine Road.
    Brown Trail was a dirt road.
    We had two cops.

Black
    2002 Z/28

Damn,yeah Id say that was quite a while ago!!
    I live two blocks north of Hwy 10 on precinct line!
    One more question for you and I might let you be for a while.....
    Where the hell can I buy some Amsoil aroung here?? The only places I can find are peoples house and they dont keep any on hand, I still have to buy it online!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Just PM CompSyn (memeber here)......I do the PC thing and pay wholesale (dealer)...I mean hell it is only like $20 a year...I save that with one order......

Or you can pick up your order in Dallas.....pay no shipping.....
    2334 Highwood Drive Dallas, TX 75228 - (605) 361-4075

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

you will like the amsoil stuff i get it from there site and you can add a preferd customer to your orderfor $20 a year. like Sarge i save that much the 1st time i orderd. i just renewed my card for 10 years.

Sarge you like the fram crap? i know a few people that have had the case fall off after they change them out with fram stuff. i dont know if it was the xgared or not.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Only Fram worth a shit is the Xtended Guard. That is the only one I am talking about.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Oil question for you Sarge
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11213141575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread Information