Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

black
    01 FIREBIRD WS6

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    +1
    Thanks for the heads up. And they are very expensive! Even with my discount im still looking at over 1100! I'll go a different route.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 01FASTWS6 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. And they are very expensive! Even with my discount im still looking at over 1100! I'll go a different route.
    +100.

This is one of the first things I asked/posted about when I joined this forum, stay away from most things SLP. I was asking about their headers also, and I decided on Hooker ceramic and their ORY. Excellent ground clearance, better than OE. Not the cheapest route, but hey, I did get the "I love my hookers!" stickers.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    but hey, I did get the "I love my hookers!" stickers.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

add: ebay headers from dna motoring.
    price $160
    size 1 3/4" longtube
    304 stainless steel
    egr provisions-yes
    y-pipe-no

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I am looking at buying the ARH 1 7/8 with their ORY. I have an SLP Power Flo exhaust on now. Do you think this would still sound like crap, or are most people referring to the Loudmouth system when they say SLP with headers sounds bad?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^ You are right. They are referring to the Loudmouth setup, which is almost no muffler. But, I don't know what the Power Flo consists of.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Is there any posts anywhere that show how much ground clearance each brand and model of LTs have?

I just want the best ground clearance and fitment I can get. $ is not as big of a deal if they clear as good or better than stock exhaust.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Under my Hookers, with my non-lowered car, I can stand up a Coke can under the headers. Under the ORY, I can almost do that. I don't know about other headers, but the only ones I've heard that have terrible ground clearance are made by SLP.

So, I read this whole thread (and several others) & am completely new to this. I have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer, that would be great. I am saving up for headers & an ORY, but the EGR/O2 thing has me confused. If I buy a set of Stainless-steel headers (already have Stainless Borla Catback) do I need special o2 sensors? Where are the o2 sensors? Aren't there 4? 2 up front & 2 in the back? To be honest, I would not trust myself to try to install these myself, I would just need to know what to order. I get confused when I look at the different headers & they start talking about emission deletes. Are they just talking about the rear o2 sensors? I know you can not plug those in & then have a tune done to turn off the SES light. I think I rambled too much, but any help in the "emission" area of headers would be greatly appreciated.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    So, I read this whole thread (and several others) & am completely new to this. I have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer, that would be great. I am saving up for headers & an ORY, but the EGR/O2 thing has me confused. If I buy a set of Stainless-steel headers (already have Stainless Borla Catback) do I need special o2 sensors? Where are the o2 sensors? Aren't there 4? 2 up front & 2 in the back? To be honest, I would not trust myself to try to install these myself, I would just need to know what to order. I get confused when I look at the different headers & they start talking about emission deletes. Are they just talking about the rear o2 sensors? I know you can not plug those in & then have a tune done to turn off the SES light. I think I rambled too much, but any help in the "emission" area of headers would be greatly appreciated.
    Emissions are the air pump and EGR. they will still have two bungs for o2's

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

There are 2 style headers "emission" and "race style". The emission headers will have connections for EGR hook ups and the A.I.R. system. The race style will not. Both styles will have a place for 1 O2 per side. The second O2 can be deleted. It is there just to make sure your cats are working. The only one that is used is the one before the cats. The bung in the header where the O2 sensor goes will be further way than it was stock. The wires on the stock O2's are not long enough. Bosh make an O2 sensor with a longer wire 13111. It is for a Corvette but will work fine in our cars.

Thanks fellas. If I planned on doing an ORY would I get the "Race Style" headers & have the EGR & AIR "tuned out" & then just not worry about those? Or get the "Emission" style & keep those things? My car will not see the track, but I am not worried about emissions either, so I plan to just get rid of the cats to save a little scratch. Also, is it better to get those Vette style o2's or just get the extension cords?

LPM
    2000 Z28

Thanks fellas. If I planned on doing an ORY would I get the "Race Style" headers & have the EGR & AIR "tuned out" & then just not worry about those? Or get the "Emission" style & keep those things? My car will not see the track, but I am not worried about emissions either, so I plan to just get rid of the cats to save a little scratch. Also, is it better to get those Vette style o2's or just get the extension cords?
    Getting rid of the air and egr cleans up the engine bay if you're not worried about emissions. I can't comment on which is better, but if you're trying to save $, I think the extensions are a good bit cheaper. If you have a lot of miles on them, you may be better off replacing them with the vette ones though.

I say if you're going to have to get the rear o2s tuned out, go ahead and get rid of the emissions while you're at it. Makes spark plug changes a lot easier without that junk in there.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

If you are not worried about emissions go with race style and delete the EGR and AIR. What year is yours? 2002's did not have the EGR anyway, 2000's did. Someone help me I can't remember if 2001 did or didn't.

IMHO I would go with the vette O2's. O2's get dirty/clogged up and should be replaced about every 50,000 miles. Most people don't, tho. Since the probably need to be replaced any way and to use your stock ones you would have to get them out of your current exhaust (which can be a PIA) I would go with the 13111's. I have not price the extensions but I just ordered a pair of 13111's delivered to my door for less the $100.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    2002's did not have the EGR anyway, 2000's did. Someone help me I can't remember if 2001 did or didn't.
    01 did not have egr as they had the ls6 intake. Didnt even think to look at the year of his car. My bad. Same applies though, get rid of any emissions you can if you don't have to pass a test

I have a 2002. I will probably keep my old o2's, as I only have 17k on the car, which is also one major reason I get so torqued up about all these questions...I am afraid to mess up a basically new car. Where is the AIR thing located?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

This should help alot. I know because I used it last night.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/seconda...emoval-130641/

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    This should help alot. I know because I used it last night.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/seconda...emoval-130641/
    Extremely helpful! Thanks a ton!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    02 Camaro SS. A4, Borla Catback, SLP Lid, Ported TB, Free Mods.

Midnight Blue
    '98 Z28

Noob here, great forum, just purchased another Z28 ('98 completely stock) after being without a few years... Want to make sure I got this straight, I'm looking at purchasing...
    OBX LT Headers, Header bolts, EGR delete, 02 simulator for rear, Bosch 13111 O2 sensor for front, also iridium plugs and 8.5 mm MSD wires while i'm in there.
    I know I will need a tune after all of this, im not worried about emissions. Is there anything I am missing? Been doing research for about 5 hrs straight now lol think i got everything. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!
    Dustin

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Forgy View Post
    Noob here, great forum, just purchased another Z28 ('98 completely stock) after being without a few years... Want to make sure I got this straight, I'm looking at purchasing...
    OBX LT Headers, Header bolts, EGR delete, 02 simulator for rear, Bosch 13111 O2 sensor for front, also iridium plugs and 8.5 mm MSD wires while i'm in there.
    I know I will need a tune after all of this, im not worried about emissions. Is there anything I am missing? Been doing research for about 5 hrs straight now lol think i got everything. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!
    Dustin
    No need to get the simulators if your gonna get a tune and they're gonna get deleted, other than that I think you got it all covered. NGK TR55's and Autolite 103's is what we most use around here also. You'll also need a y-pipe or if your gonna get a shop to fab one up, at least get the flowmaster merge to set it up, its one of the best flowing ones out there. If your doing the install yourself, it really frees up some space when you take off the coil packs and valve covers and that's all that comes to mind right now

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information