Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They definately need all the tire and ground clearance they can get, having that longer wheel base than what's typically desired in an off road package.
    Long wheel bases and off road don't mix that well when obstacles get challenging. Even though they have shrunk the H2 and H3 down from it's former glory, it's still really too big for an ultimate off road package.
    lol, I take it you've never seen an H3 rock crawling? If you don't have lockers short wheel base does'nt much matter.. The H3 is just as long as my camaro was give or take 3".. Turns sharper too. Ground clearance = 9"
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-19-2011 at 02:25 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That's one reason why we don't off road in the mud. If it's wet, we stay home, simple. We are more of a recreational off road family, we just simply like to get away from people and enjoy the scenery up in the mountains, old ghost towns, mining towns, abandoned mine shafts, metal detecting, etc....
    I don't do it to find the limits of our vehicle, nor do I care to spend $20 at a car wash trying to get all the mud out from underneath. That crap gets trapped in places you simply cant get a power washer at. No thanks.
    Frankly, I just don't want to have to clean it. It gets dusty enough as it is while off roading if you can imagine how dusty it is in AZ.
    Yeah I have a motor home for dry dirt..

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    lol, I take it you've never seen an H3 rock crawling? If you don't have lockers short wheel base does'nt much matter.. The H3 is just as long as my camaro was give or take 3".. Turns sharper too. Ground clearance = 9"
    You're not an avid off roader I see. Short wheel base is everything in a capable off road vehicle. The longer the wheel base, the more ground clearance is necessary. 9" isn't very much.
    If it's as long as your camaro,,,it's too long for off roading. You'll get hung on alot of stuff out here. Lockers don't help you for that.

I've seen plenty of H2's and H3's out here off roading, see plenty of them stuck as well, or simply can't go some places up in the mountains due to their size.
    Don't get me wrong, they are okay vehicles for simple stuff, but not considered whats needed, not around these parts anyway.

Yeah I have a motor home for dry dirt..
    It's not just dry dirt around here that any ole car can drive on. I'm talking mountain terrain made for horses or on foot. Very rocky areas, old wagon trails that are way too narrow for a full size off road vehicle like an H2 or H3.

You aren't going to run around out there in a motor home. If you try, bring lots of water and be prepared for major search party to come looking for you. People get lost out here for weeks.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You're not an avid off roader I see. Short wheel base is everything in a capable off road vehicle. The longer the wheel base, the more ground clearance is necessary. 9" isn't very much.
    If it's as long as your camaro,,,it's too long for off roading. You'll get hung on alot of stuff out here. Lockers don't help you for that.

I've seen plenty of H2's and H3's out here off roading, see plenty of them stuck as well, or simply can't go some places up in the mountains due to their size.
    Don't get me wrong, they are okay vehicles for simple stuff, but not considered whats needed, not around these parts anyway.
    Haha, nope no off roading here. If it's that bad I jump on the tractor..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It's not just dry dirt around here that any ole car can drive on. I'm talking mountain terrain made for horses or on foot. Very rocky areas, old wagon trails that are way too narrow for a full size off road vehicle like an H2 or H3.

You aren't going to run around out there in a motor home. If you try, bring lots of water and be prepared for major search party to come looking for you. People get lost out here for weeks.
    Simply put we don't camp, hike or anything like that. Just no intrest in it.. The "camp" site we go to is paved, powered, and sewered..

We yuppie camp, in A/C..

Haha, nope no off roading here. If it's that bad I jump on the tractor..
    That's a thought.

It's not bad, just alot of uninhabited wilderness out here. They've had plane crashes out here in the mountains that weren't found until years later.
    Just have to make sure the vehicle is 100% capapable, a winch is almost a necessity, even with lockers, and especially if you go alone. Bring lots of water and warm blankets, then try to not drive in places that are over your head. They don't call it the wild west for nothing

Simply put we don't camp, hike or anything like that. Just no intrest in it.. The "camp" site we go to is paved, powered, and sewered..

We yuppie camp, in A/C..
    I can understand that. We just like to get away from the crowds and go places where most others can't.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I can understand that. We just like to get away from the crowds and go places where most others can't.
    I gotcha.. lol we just close the door/curtains and turn on the Tv..

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

That's one reason why we don't off road in the mud. If it's wet, we stay home, simple. We are more of a recreational off road family, we just simply like to get away from people and enjoy the scenery up in the mountains, old ghost towns, mining towns, abandoned mine shafts, metal detecting, etc....
    I don't do it to find the limits of our vehicle, nor do I care to spend $20 at a car wash trying to get all the mud out from underneath. That crap gets trapped in places you simply cant get a power washer at. No thanks.
    Frankly, I just don't want to have to clean it. It gets dusty enough as it is while off roading if you can imagine how dusty it is in AZ.
    Yup! There are many different ways to wheel, it's not all blazing through mud and running down trees. I don't really care for mud either. It's fun for a while, but the cleanup is just more trouble that it's worth.

I got my ZJ stuck in the mud good once, it was stuck up to the rockers, basically sitting on the floorboards on the mud. Once I got it out, it took me a week to clean all the mud out of the brakes, wheels, and wheelwells. I couldn't drive it home over 40mph, the weight of the mud in the wheels threw the balance way off. I ha it on jackstands for a week, I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to chip the mud out of the wheels, around the steering knuckles, and the slots of the vented rotors, etc. I ended up having the rotors turned and replacing the pads too.

After that, I never went mudding. Every once in a while a trail might have some mud, but I never went through mud for the heck of it again.

But it's fun for going sightseeing off the beaten path, and trails that are slgihtly technical, meaning you have to think about lines and wheel placement are fun, without being overly taking on the vehicle. Here in New England there are a few beaches that you can get permits to drive on, and there are unpaved roads through state parks that can make for a nice ride through the woods, especially if there's a foot of snow on the ground.

As far as keeping the interior clean, I never had that problem in mine. The trick is to stay in the vehicle, and not get out and roll around in the mud. Other than the typical driver's area wear and tear on a 14 year old vehicle, my interior looks almost new.

These will save your carpet: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Liner-Floor-2006-Hummer/dp/B000JRMM4G/ref=pd_sim_auto_1[/ame]

I run them on my Jeep front and rear, and I love them. They're one of the the first things I ever bought for it back in '01 when I got it, and they still look great. They really do last forever. Whether you ever take it off pavement or not, they're a great investment. They're great in winter too, for trapping all the snow and slush. Only problem is that it will melt, then freeze after you leave it sitting all day or overnight. What I did was bought a cheap set of carpet mats that matched my carpet, and laid them over the liners. They soak up the water, and problem solved.

Cutlass, I forget exactly what the tire sizes were, IIRC they're 285's, or roughly a 33x11" tire. But even the ones spec'd for the Adventure (offroad package) are far too mild to be of much use offroad. Now the H2 comes with a respectable tire (BFG A/T), as does the Wrangler Rubicon (BFG M/T), but the H3's are too pavement oriented for challenging offroad use.
    Last edited by StuntmanMike; 06-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah I believe it is a 33" tire. And its definitely not an offroad tire. More of an all terrain on/off road.
    Depending on what kind of offroading you wanna do, I wouldn't take anything much smaller then a 35".

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Found this poking around youtube.. Thought it was interresting..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir8Tczl08L4[/ame]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information