Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Well, not quite original. It be a stroked 375 c.i. with a roller cam, wearing "stock appearing camoflage".
    thats what i meant...stock appearance
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-15-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Corrected displacement.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Been plinking away at the carb rebuild. Have everything cleaned up and ready to go. Two other issues were a busted throttle plate screw on the primary shaft and the secondary linkage broke when I bent it back into shape. I was able to center drill the broken screw and as I stepped up the drill bit size it released -- no harm to the threads. Phew!

In order to remove the primary shaft for installation of the bushing kit, I had to bend the rod for the secondaries to unhook it. Unfortunately, bending it out and then back in fatigued the metal and it snapped. I sourced a replacement rod from a Q-jet vendor that utilizes a clip to retain it -- no more bending.

Final clean up was performed with lacquer thinner and over 100 Q-tips. I'll use Eastwood's Carb Renew to make it pretty again before re-assembly.

pewter
    99 trans am

so youre using the origional carb on a stroker? you modding the carb any? i didnt read the whole thread yet.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    so youre using the origional carb on a stroker? you modding the carb any? i didnt read the whole thread yet.
    We'll re-jet the carb on the dyno and then once we have it back in the car I will use my LM-2 to dial in the fueling.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The fight with the Q-jet continued tonight. I started by installing the primary shaft with the new secondary linkage rod. Pretty slick setup that is identical to GM door handle and lock rods from the '60s and '70s.

I was hoping to get the main body and airhorn painted tonight. Instead, I ended up fighting with the seat that the fuel inlet needle rides in. It should simply unscrew, but instead decided to fight all the way out. I tried cutting a deeper notch with my die grinder, but still could not get it to break free. I ended up drilling it and installing an easy out that finally exerted enough force to back it out. I tore up the old seat, but at least the threads were left intact in the main body.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The fight with the Q-jet continued tonight. I started by installing the primary shaft with the new secondary linkage rod. Pretty slick setup that is identical to GM door handle and lock rods from the '60s and '70s.

Click for full size

I was hoping to get the main body and airhorn painted tonight. Instead, I ended up fighting with the seat that the fuel inlet needle rides in. It should simply unscrew, but instead decided to fight all the way out. I tried cutting a deeper notch with my die grinder, but still could not get it to break free. I ended up drilling it and installing an easy out that finally exerted enough force to back it out. I tore up the old seat, but at least the threads were left intact in the main body.

Click for full size
    Wow! The 2 un-like metals aluminum and brass, plus old varnish from leaded gas in the threads can make them interesting to break free.. Rebuild kits used to come with a "sealed" one piece float needle housing with a nut head machined into to the top.. Made life a whole lot easier being able to get a socket on them.. Hopefully you can get the damaged seat to seal.. If not it will leak fuel into the float bowl constantly as I'm sure you know. Cutting off the main flow control by forcing the float to hold the needle closed all the time..

Throttle plate looks good tho.. Looking forward to the finished toy..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-16-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: corrections in spelling

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will use a "blue thread paste" on the seat threads to ensure a good seal. The threads don't look terrible in the carb body despite the work it took to remove the seat.

pewter
    99 trans am

come hell or high water, youre gonna use that carb, huh? i commend you, sir. most would have just given up and bought a new one.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    come hell or high water, youre gonna use that carb, huh? i commend you, sir. most would have just given up and bought a new one.
    A numbers matching W-31 carb is a big ticket item. Really nothing wrong with the one I have -- it is just testing my patience.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

A numbers matching W-31 carb is a big ticket item. Really nothing wrong with the one I have -- it is just testing my patience.
    I totally understand.. Heck I did take a band saw to my TB..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I totally understand.. Heck I did take a band saw to my TB..

Yep. You are one hardcore mo-fo when it comes to builds! How has progress been lately?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yep. You are one hardcore mo-fo when it comes to builds! How has progress been lately?
    It's comming along..

Gonna cut/prep header flanges prolly tonight or in the morning. Got the turbine inlet flanges and outlets ready. Then on to bending some 1-3/4 tubular steel for my header tubes. I'm going to use my trany as is and add an adaptor for the last 3 holes. The important holes between the quad bell and the LQ1 are a perfect match so it ends up not being the cluster I thought it would. Still have'nt desided on a clutch yet. Setup the PS pump in it's new location, and mount an electric water pump drive.. Have to finish milling my UI and bore out the fuel rails into the UI walls.. Then pull the front end off and prep for cleaning and painting under the hood.. Odds and ends mechanically after that. Then move to the interior. Have'nt settled on guages yet but I'm going full sweeps. The touch screen monitor handles the rest for AFR's and such..

- Sounds like alot but really it's not.. Suspensoin was replaced before she got parked so I'm good there.. I have everything else I need still in boxes so mostly just bolting stuff on and so forth.. I think I'm going to use the driver side heat vent in the hood as part of the CAI so some channeling there.. Little stuff you know..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-17-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added back original post
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I am stunned you are having issues with it. I need to fly up there and do the Q-Jet rebuild for you...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I am stunned you are having issues with it. I need to fly up there and do the Q-Jet rebuild for you...

Just a few little things that want to be difficult. I enjoy a challenge, but right now I need to get this thing done and up to the builder so we can go play on the dyno.

Tonight I finished cleaning up the principle components and shot them with Eastwood's Carb Renew. While the first coat was drying I ran all the small parts that will be receiving a black oxide treatment through the wire wheel. If all goes well, I can start re-assembly tomorrow night and then get this thing in the mail next week.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Tonight I finished cleaning up the principle components and shot them with Eastwood's Carb Renew. While the first coat was drying I ran all the small parts that will be receiving a black oxide treatment through the wire wheel. If all goes well, I can start re-assembly tomorrow night and then get this thing in the mail next week.
    I am a little surprised you had to use the Carb Renew. But the carb you have is what 29/30 + years old. And may never have had a rebuild done to it before.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I am a little surprised you had to use the Carb Renew. But the carb you have is what 29/30 + years old. And may never have had a rebuild done to it before.

40 years old to be exact. The exterior of the carb was pretty nice, but kind of mottled with age so I opted to refresh it. Someone had been there before as 2 or 3 of the screws had witness marks from being manhandled. I just dressed the edges with a small file and ran them on a wire wheel to blend them back in.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

[QUOTE=pajeff02;2517837]40 years old to be exact. The exterior of the carb was pretty nice, but kind of mottled with age so I opted to refresh it. Someone had been there before as 2 or 3 of the screws had witness marks from being manhandled. I just dressed the edges with a small file and ran them on a wire wheel to blend them back in.[/QUOTE]

going all out are we? you have got way more patience then i do brother i guess it just come with age

pewter
    99 trans am

[quote=WICKEDLS1;2518074]
    40 years old to be exact. The exterior of the carb was pretty nice, but kind of mottled with age so I opted to refresh it. Someone had been there before as 2 or 3 of the screws had witness marks from being manhandled. I just dressed the edges with a small file and ran them on a wire wheel to blend them back in.[/QUOTE]

going all out are we? you have got way more patience then i do brother i guess it just come with age
    damn, jeff....he jus call you old......

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

To most of you guys... I probably am considered "old".

pewter
    99 trans am

To most of you guys... I probably am considered "old".
    ..................yea you old as hell...

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information