Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

White
    2002 Z28

I have a friend with an 07 Mustang GT. His car is a 5 spd Auto. He's got wider wheels and is running 285 tires on the back. He's done a superchips tune, an intake and a catback.

I have an 02 2.73 rear gears, A4 with a Diablosprt Predator tune, Magnaflow catback, lid and F.R.A.M and 245 width Nitto DR's I consistantly ran .6 tenths and 5mph faster than him last Wednesday at Orlando Speedworld.

I don't think you will have a closer matchup mod for mod than that.

I also ran between 2-3 tenths quicker than two Challenger SRT8's that were there. They had K&N intakes and one had the mufflers changed and the other had a full Magnaflow catback. One with just the mufflers had DR's and the other didn't. Our speeds were nearly identical with me about .25 mph faster.

There was a whole group of Mopars out there and the fastest were the Challengers. A 300C SRT 8 that looked stock was running about the same as the Mustang GT.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

thread started:

11-10-2008, 10:07 AM

let it die..

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    I have a friend with an 07 Mustang GT. His car is a 5 spd Auto. He's got wider wheels and is running 285 tires on the back. He's done a superchips tune, an intake and a catback.

I have an 02 2.73 rear gears, A4 with a Diablosprt Predator tune, Magnaflow catback, lid and F.R.A.M and 245 width Nitto DR's I consistantly ran .6 tenths and 5mph faster than him last Wednesday at Orlando Speedworld.

I don't think you will have a closer matchup mod for mod than that.

I also ran between 2-3 tenths quicker than two Challenger SRT8's that were there. They had K&N intakes and one had the mufflers changed and the other had a full Magnaflow catback. One with just the mufflers had DR's and the other didn't. Our speeds were nearly identical with me about .25 mph faster.

There was a whole group of Mopars out there and the fastest were the Challengers. A 300C SRT 8 that looked stock was running about the same as the Mustang GT.

what where your times?

None

I have won ever race! Except against the GT500, my bottle was empty
    yet it close enough for him to stop at the next light to ask what I had.

He admitted his car was very new to him, and I know I can drive!

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Let it live.

A hard-shifting A4 with the proper converter (obviously not stock) will beat a street-style T56 any day of the week - no matter who's driving it. Even Cayenne97.

Bone stock to bone stock....different story, perhaps.

And it has everything to do with average power put to the wheels in each gear, and not just peak power put to the wheels in any gear. A torque converter is the great equalizer (and then some) in this situation. Except the really tight stock versions, a proper converter will allow the engine to 'flash' to near its torque peak very quickly, and then keep the engine in a much narrower powerband between shifts than a stick. Again with a properly selected converter - the motor will spend more of its time near its power peak than the manual will.

The equation changes drastically when you get into slipper-style adjustable clutches (not streetable) and close-ratio, non-OD 5-speed manual trannies (very rare on the street).

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

a buddy of mine, who is a member on here, had an 02 WS6 A4, now he has an 07 or 08 GT/CS M5, and he thinks his WS6 was faster

None

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    a buddy of mine, who is a member on here, had an 02 WS6 A4, now he has an 07 or 08 GT/CS M5, and he thinks his WS6 was faster
    He is right!!!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

knew my ear was itchin'!

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    what where your times?
    Times and speed were not very good. A front had just passed through and the barometer was low and we had about 8 mph of steady head wind with 10 mph gusts so when you look at them keep the whole group in mind.

I cut some great lights, I had a reation time of .128, then .020, a .018 and a perfect .000.

The Mustang GT was running 13.7's with a best of 13.68 at 100-101mph.

There were 2 SRT8 Challengers. They had K&N CAI's and one had a Magnaflow Catback an the other had Flowmaster mufflers. Those were running 13.5-13.6 at 105-106 mph. I couldn't tell the two apart, both were Orange and both ran almost the exact same times.

I was running 13.3's for all but one 13.29 run at 106-107.

My guess is the Challengers should have been running 13.0-13.1 at 108-109 with their mods.

That would put the lightly modded 3.55 geared Mustang GT at 13.3-13.4.

I've never run my car with it's current mods and the DR's. Without the DR's I'm hitting 13.1's with 2.2 60's. With low 2.0 60's from the DR's I should easily see 12.9 and maybe a 12.8 and 109-110 for the speed.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    knew my ear was itchin'!
    I knew youd get on here as soon i posted about you

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I don't know how anybody could say or think GT mUstangs are close to an LS1.

At my old job, the Boss had an 07 GT and a buddy had the 08 GT/CS. Not even close. They both shit when they rode in mine. At their first introduction I only had SLP LT tuned Headers/Y-pipe/Hi-Flow Cats, EGR Bypass, Lid Flowed (old school),and a Magna Flow, w/ some suspension and 305/30 18s. They weren't near me and they knew it and would tell you that. Then I put in an Al Flywheel & Al Press Plate (Spec Stg 3+) and a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft.

The best we could determine I was at least a second faster, (local street runs) high accuracy unavailable.

Since I put in the 92/92 I want to get a good tune and go back and reintroduce them to the old beast!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    I don't know how anybody could say or think GT mUstangs are close to an LS1.

At my old job, the Boss had an 07 GT and a buddy had the 08 GT/CS. Not even close. They both shit when they rode in mine. At their first introduction I only had SLP LT tuned Headers/Y-pipe/Hi-Flow Cats, EGR Bypass, Lid Flowed (old school),and a Magna Flow, w/ some suspension and 305/30 18s. They weren't near me and they knew it and would tell you that. Then I put in an Al Flywheel & Al Press Plate (Spec Stg 3+) and a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft.

The best we could determine I was at least a second faster, (local street runs) high accuracy unavailable.

Since I put in the 92/92 I want to get a good tune and go back and reintroduce them to the old beast!

you dont know how or why or think that...

look at the facts man.. the new GTs arent THAT far behind STOCK for STOCK.. on AVERAGE ls1s run low to mid 13s.. and on AVERAGE new GTs run mid to high 13s... that isnt that much of a difference at all... the driver can make up that difference.. not to count all the variables that come into play when racing... simply put, it can be a driver s race below 100mph.. after that the ls1 should start walking away..

now with them being stock.. and you having bolt ons.. of course you are going to walk away pretty easily...
    get a reality check. you have people that own ls1s sitting here telling you they are biting at our heels..

o.. and in case you dont know a GT/CS... is just an app. package, no added performance..

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Yeah I know what the CS is...I was there when he ordered the pretty package.

It wasn't very close when I had nothing but the old school flown lid (and an EGR bypass.) Several tried to pull on me at lights. Had them in 1st and late 2nd begins the crush.

Only the Boss had his GT then and he thought my car was awesome, and he was not expecting it. I guess I got too excited in telling the uneven stories...but the big eye effect in my memory pulled me!

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

our torque curve prob plays a roll in "feeling" faster

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

The torque curve feels great. But I think it makes much of the difference in a race as well.

And the Stangs come with such skinny tires...I think that and the torque really make a difference out of the hole!

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Yeah I know what the CS is...I was there when he ordered the pretty package.

It wasn't very close when I had nothing but the old school flown lid (and an EGR bypass.) Several tried to pull on me at lights. Had them in 1st and late 2nd begins the crush.

Only the Boss had his GT then and he thought my car was awesome, and he was not expecting it. I guess I got too excited in telling the uneven stories...but the big eye effect in my memory pulled me!
    i will give you that depending on the driver you could slaughter a lot of GTs... you may be an exceptional driver.. i dont know?

but truth is, that with somewhat equally skilled drivers... a new GT is going to be on your ass..

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    our torque curve prob plays a roll in "feeling" faster
    and also i have noticed even they sometimes they dont "feel" a lot faster.. most stock ls1s are traction impaired.. so we are all over the place making it seem much faster than they really are..

im not putting the ls1 down.. i love it.. its just not quite as fast as some people say it is..

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

The torque curve feels great. But I think it makes much of the difference in a race as well.

And the Stangs come with such skinny tires...I think that and the torque really make a difference out of the hole!
    i promise you that the majority of new GTs will beat fbodys (STOCK for STOCK) on the street most of the time..
    reason being.. our TQ.. and the GTs lack of... street racing is ALL about traction... red light to red light, i give it the GT.. above 60mph.. the ls1 will pass it up and keep pulling..

at the track.. its a different story.. ls1 all around..

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I got lucky with my LT1, many told me mine must of had 15 more horses than theirs (bone stock.)

I think I got lucky with my LS1 as well. As far as driving, I can get through the gears well (knowing when to not WOT). Even with near stock like I bought it, I knew to roll into the throttle.

I think the first thing any American Muscle owner has to do is get rubber. I used to spin going into 4th, ridiculous. With the 305/30 18's I have like a foot of soft rubber on asphalt. Now with the relocation brackets, G2 tub. cont. arms, and the adjustable shocks I just bark a little on good asphalt.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

And let us not forget the Stangs have got time on their side! GM laid it down for them in 98. I think 06-08 was past due time for them to catch-up!

I recall with my 94 Z-28, stock for stock against the Stangs, we had 'em beat nicely! By 98......

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

I got lucky with my LT1, many told me mine must of had 15 more horses than theirs (bone stock.)

I think I got lucky with my LS1 as well. As far as driving, I can get through the gears well (knowing when to not WOT). Even with near stock like I bought it, I knew to roll into the throttle.

I think the first thing any American Muscle owner has to do is get rubber. I used to spin going into 4th, ridiculous. With the 305/30 18's I have like a foot of soft rubber on asphalt. Now with the relocation brackets, G2 tub. cont. arms, and the adjustable shocks I just bark a little on good asphalt.
    sounds like good driver mod..

the thing where people said you had 15 more horses is just stupid, unless you dynoed your car..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information