Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

red
    95 Z28

I think you guys are vastly underestimating the value of such a vehicle. Most guys with full size half tons never town anywhere near 6700 pounds anyway. And since you guys are so hardcore, keep your V8 duramax then. lol

And that little engine has been proven and used in overseas markets for some time now. Might want to do a little research on it FBJ before you try to shit all over it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    seems a little half ass'd IMO. Why not at least put a v6 duramax in it? I mean 200HP and 368 ft/lb? Go to a 6 and make 320's and 450 so it can actually tow and get the gas mileage still. I'll be curious to see what kinda mileage people get out of it. I'm guessing not enough to offset the higher diesel costs. I would much rather see them offer the regular duramax in a 1500 truck than this. It's a start though I guess.
    One upside is GM's 2.8 4 cyl diesel (200/368) has hp/torque bragging rights over Ford's 3.2 5 cylinder diesel (197/347) they are putting in their new vans.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    One upside is GM's 2.8 4 cyl diesel (200/368) has hp/torque bragging rights over Ford's 3.2 5 cylinder diesel (197/347) they are putting in their new vans.
    Yeah but since it cant tow 15,000 pounds its a piece of shit. And only 368 pound feet of torque? POS.

I shit on it because I can. And yes, only 368 ft lbs. That's not alot, especially for a diesel.

But hey, there might be a market for it, who knows. I sure don't have any use for it though.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-23-2013 at 06:49 PM.

red
    95 Z28

So people who aren't in the market for this truck, who aren't its target audience, who will never buy one, are telling us all why it sucks.

Got it.

You're still young, you'll figure it out

red
    95 Z28

The more you bitch about it, the funnier it is. Especially whining that it only has 368 pound feet of torque, which is more than enough for a smaller truck. And for people who don't want a full size, it's still perfect for their runs to home depot and hauling around their jet skis (which is the kind of work 95% of half tons do ). All the while getting 30mpg or more. It's cool though, for an old guy stuck in the past that thinks an old 454 1 ton is the pinnacle, you'll figure it out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    So people who aren't in the market for this truck, who aren't its target audience, who will never buy one, are telling us all why it sucks.

Got it.

I'm not saying it sucks.....I'm saying it's a start to something better. I don't pay much attention to these little city guy trucks anyhow no matter what engine it has in it. I'll keep an open mind until real world numbers come out but it has to be a huge jump in mileage to offset what is sure to be a fairly large upcharge for the diesel. I know the article says sub $20's but I bet that'll be the base motor and probably upper 20's or low 30's for an optioned diesel. Still a lot cheaper than a 2500 but you're also not getting all the other upsides the 2500 offers. I would much rather see a larger diesel offered for the 1500. I look at the guys with towables. I know several just off the top of my head that stepped up to the duramax knowing they didn't need that much truck but wanted the fuel mileage and torque while towing over a gas engine. They also tow campers that are in the 5000 lb range. I wouldn't want to tow a 5000 lb camper with that truck so what are you left towing? A trailer with a quad on it? Do you even need a diesel for a 700-1000 lb load?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm not saying it sucks.....I'm saying it's a start to something better. I don't pay much attention to these little city guy trucks anyhow no matter what engine it has in it. I'll keep an open mind until real world numbers come out but it has to be a huge jump in mileage to offset what is sure to be a fairly large upcharge for the diesel. I know the article says sub $20's but I bet that'll be the base motor and probably upper 20's or low 30's for an optioned diesel. Still a lot cheaper than a 2500 but you're also not getting all the other upsides the 2500 offers. I would much rather see a larger diesel offered for the 1500. I look at the guys with towables. I know several just off the top of my head that stepped up to the duramax knowing they didn't need that much truck but wanted the fuel mileage and torque while towing over a gas engine. They also tow campers that are in the 5000 lb range. I wouldn't want to tow a 5000 lb camper with that truck so what are you left towing? A trailer with a quad on it? Do you even need a diesel for a 700-1000 lb load?
    I'm sure the truck would tow 5000 lbs as well as a current 1/2 ton gasser. As far as a diesel in the 1500, it is possible. In fact, it will likely be the same VM motori diesel that's going in the ram 1500, as GM owns half of VM motori.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I don't know, once you start putting diesels in 1/2 tons, mid-sized trucks, and econobox cars....diesels kinda start to lose their cool factor. Agree, disagree, or no opinion?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I don't know, once you start putting diesels in 1/2 tons, mid-sized trucks, and econobox cars....diesels kinda start to lose their cool factor. Agree, disagree, or no opinion?
    Nobody is buying diesel HD trucks, VW jettas, etc for their "cool factor". Or at least most people aren't. They're buying them for their performance, be it towing or improved fuel economy. I think if the performance and economy is there, people will buy them regardless of how "cool" they are

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Their performance is cool and is definitely why some people like them/buy them.

Thread Information