Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you wanted to *actually see what the meth was worth* the car would have been tuned off of it, run and then tuned on it and re-tested.
    Who said I wanted to do a test to actually see what the meth was worth? Not me. This was a case of a customer looking to fix the problems with his tune and maximize his performance.

That was accomplished. I intentionally left out the before and after gains in my first post because this wasn't a controlled test.

I have recommended that if that is what your looking for that it is not that hard for you to do. My customer and I don't need to be convinced.

FYI - I'm not wrong about timing making the power for FI, and I have a pile of logs and graphs that show this rather than just abject forum claims. The same car from yesterday AM picked up 10rwhp adding the meth and getting the AFR back to the 11.5ish area it was at before the meth. 5 degrees of timing that was added up top netted 23rwhp. This is not opinion or dubious uncontrolled testing; these were the real results.
    That's great, but those are not "real results" for an NA car, which is what this thread is all about.
    Those are results from only 1 FI car using a setup that nobody runs. That info is useless for this discussion.

Oh, and I'm not mad, just annoyed that you have to feel that if you didn't do it then it can't be done or is somehow false. The only concrete numbers I gave where the before and after track numbers. Before and after a retune and meth install on an NA car run at the same track with all other parts (tires,gears,intake, etc.) the same.

We should let the readers determine how much of the 1 second gain and 5 mph was attributed to the tune and how much was attributed to the meth.

I hope someone else can chime in on actual meth setups on NA cars.
    Last edited by edgz06; 10-22-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Laugh while you can... mistermike's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

I have no idea why you would want to run one on an N/A car unless it was 13:1 SCR... It's primary function is lowering IATs from a compressed pipe; which you don't have. Also, all of the good progressive systems are MAP-based. You won't even be able to turn them on and if you could, they would need an RPM referenced controller to be progressive, and I have never seen such a device.
    It does more than just drop IAT's. It drops the combustion chamber temperature, which has a number of benefits. This is especially true with a water/methanol mix. There are controllers which can be input from TPS, voltage output MAF, or 1 bar MAP to achieve progressive control with an N/A setup.
    World's only twin screw Pontiac GTO
    Blown H/C 408 and other stuff, billet tires, stage 3 keyboard
    2008 HHR SS tweaked by GMPP

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I think the benefits are more exclusive on a FI car but they would also be very good for a NA car ,for example in the heat of the summer anything you can do to run more timing and per say a more consistant ET at the track in the heat should be a welcome thing to any racer..aka weekend warrior.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

modern-muscle posted the following link this month, 500rwhp stock bottom end NA LS1 GTO ...using 100% methanol. I PM them and got the following additional information about his setup.

We used the Labonte Motorsports NA meth kit. If you are running a MAF, you can use his MAF controlled system as well. This car is SD tuned, so the meth controller is based on vacuum. Your tuner will need to set the controller. It is based on a switch rpm. In this case, it is set to spray above 3300rpm only. Once you reach that switch rpm, it then needs to be within a certain vacuum number which is programmable. We start spraying at 6in of vacuum and it is in full spray at WOT.

This car is spraying straight meth. That being said, the meth does affect the air fuel ratio since it is a fuel. So, if you did actually use a switch to disable the meth injection, you'd need to load an appropriate tune that adds more fuel at WOT since you would be taking fuel away. Also, there would have to be timing adjustments made if you are not spraying the meth. There's really no reason why you shouldn't spray meth all the time if you have it installed. Just make sure your meth reservoir is full. You can always add a low level indicatior in the tank.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291879

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have known of people running these type of setups on towing vech, turbo cars,for years,bottom line meth works and cools motor off allowing you to run more timing and more boost and or make more power either NA or FI.I am installing one on my setup this year stay tuned,I will do a install follow up and I will post up pros and cons,makes me wonder I have a stock ls2 bottom end have seen 18psi ran 15 psi on pump gas,8 degrees total timimg at WOT the diffrence between my street tune and track tune would be,10 degrees of timing,at the track car was way rich and had at least 110 octain.meth is alot cheaper and I could use it all the time,that is after the initial investment of the system.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

Since I'm considering this, I'm just wondering if it would be safer to put the methanol in the trunk rather then in the engine compartment. I know some venders have trunk mount kits.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    Since I'm considering this, I'm just wondering if it would be safer to put the methanol in the trunk rather then in the engine compartment. I know some venders have trunk mount kits.
    the one im doing has a 1.5 gal.tank going to mount mine under the cover in the trunk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information