Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

yellow/black
    2002 Trans Am CETA

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Yes... Yes you will!
    +1, we've got your back bro.

Many would like to have the chance to do what you're doing and may would kill to be able to start with something as straight and rust free as your Nova.
    02 CETA #654 7800 miles
    09 G8 GT liquid red, sport/premium/sunroof red/black int
    07 Tahoe LS

...you'll know it's me when I come through your town
    I'm gonna ride around in style, I'm gonna drive everybody wild
    'cause I'll have the only one there is around

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

I found some rust today. It's under where my feet would be at the pedals the floor is rusted through.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad283 View Post
    I found some rust today. It's under where my feet would be at the pedals the floor is rusted through.
    How bad is it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice thing about owning a Nova -- you can get all the sheetmetal you need. I didn't make a good choice for my first restoration project as I can not find any sheetmetal for it. Everything is going to have to be handformed. Keep posting pics as you go so we can enjoy the progress.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Great movie, awesome ride!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    the real one sold on ebay for 24k. it was a rusted piece of shit too.
    I really like the duck they used for the hood ornament.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Nice thing about owning a Nova -- you can get all the sheetmetal you need. I didn't make a good choice for my first restoration project as I can not find any sheetmetal for it. Everything is going to have to be handformed. Keep posting pics as you go so we can enjoy the progress.
    I'll finish taking out the dash today and then take the carpet out too and really check it out. But I think I'll only need a small piece to repair the floor.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Found the original owners manual in the glove compartment ... Pretty cool

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's awesome. I kept mine from my last Chevelle. I almost gave it to the guy who bought it, but, decided against it. I kept that, the front plate and the grille bowtie

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Does it have the POP attached to it?

And, if you don't know (most don't), the "POP" or Protect-O-Plate is a metal plate with letters and number embossed that indicate all relevant info on the car for the dealer for work purposes. It will have a reversed Dymo label attached to it with the owners name embossed. This was used with a credit card type device to imprint on the work order for warranty and maintenance work. All of this was attached to the last page of the original Owners Manual. This is what was used in the days before barcodes and computers.

In the case of high performance cars (SS's and the like) it's indisputable proof of the cars provenance as it contains the VIN as well as most of the option codes the cars was born with. This is one way you can document a high performance car without the engine or tranny being present.

I kept this info (original "pink slip" as well as the owners manual with POP) from the 1st one of the many 67 Camaro's I've owned.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 04-22-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Does it have the POP attached to it?

And, if you don't know (most don't), the "POP" or Protect-O-Plate is a metal plate with letters and number embossed that indicate all relevant info on the car for the dealer for work purposes. It will have a reversed Dymo label attached to it with the owners name embossed. This was used with a credit card type device to imprint on the work order for warranty and maintenance work. All of this was attached to the last page of the original Owners Manual. This is what was used in the days before barcodes and computers.

In the case of high performance cars (SS's and the like) it's indisputable proof of the cars provenance as it contains the VIN as well as most of the option codes the cars was born with. This is one way you can document a high performance car without the engine or tranny being present.

I kept this info (original "pink slip" as well as the owners manual with POP) from the 1st one of the many 67 Camaro's I've owned.
    The car was sold to Marion Oppenheim on 1/13/1969

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Got the dash off

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to hear that you can save the carpet and found the manual and stuff. How about a build sheet? I have never yet found one in any of our cars... still hoping though.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    How bad is it?
    Not a big hole, no bigger than the diameter of a basketball

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Got the dash off

Click for full size
    Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. No pun intended..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thanks ... I hope so ... Everyone was raggin on me at work ... I'll show them
    You will. I've seen people start with some real crappy heaps that are 10 times worse. At least when you are done you'll have something unique to drive to work while they all drive cookie cutters.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Progress, this is it:

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Make sure to take lots of pictures as you go to document everything. I keep a notebook by the car during teardown and write down notes on how things are oriented, order of assembly, etc. I have also found that using baggies to hold all the hardware works great. Slip a piece of paper in each baggie with enough information to tell you where stuff goes. If you don't have one, an Assembly Manual is a great thing to have as well. Good to see steady progress.

Blue
    1969 Chevy Nova

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Make sure to take lots of pictures as you go to document everything. I keep a notebook by the car during teardown and write down notes on how things are oriented, order of assembly, etc. I have also found that using baggies to hold all the hardware works great. Slip a piece of paper in each baggie with enough information to tell you where stuff goes. If you don't have one, an Assembly Manual is a great thing to have as well. Good to see steady progress.
    I ordered the assembly manual. I have already started to baggie things ... But some of them maybe a little contaminated. Mostly all of the bolts are rusty, so unless I can get them super cleaned, I might buy a front end or whatever bolt kit. We'll see.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I ordered the assembly manual. I have already started to baggie things ... But some of them maybe a little contaminated. Mostly all of the bolts are rusty, so unless I can get them super cleaned, I might buy a front end or whatever bolt kit. We'll see.
    Take all your bolts and nuts to a Alt rebuild shop. Ask them to run them through their bead blaster. It will clean them up nice and give you a better idea of what can/can't be reused. Helps if you know someone there too of course. Other wise, it's off to the wire wheel and hope not to shoot your nuts/bolts across the shop.. Just my .02

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I usually blast and wire wheel the bolts. I used to paint them, but they would always chip on installation. I picked up a black oxide kit last year and have used it quite a bit. The whole kit was around $60-70 and gives a factory look to the bolts. Granted, it does not provide the best rust protection, but so far has held up well on all the suspension and frame bolts on our Cutlass.

I know Eastwood now offers a black oxide kit. I purchased mine through Caswell, Inc. Here are some pics of the rear sway bar end link bolts for our Trans Am in the blackening solution (no current required like some metal coatings):

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information