Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cam too big?

black
    2001 Camaro SS

so do ya'll think i'll need a new clutch with all that i'm doin, it's an ss so it's supposed to have the z06 clutch.

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

i think all 01+ had the z06 clutch. my clutch is the puny ls1 clutch..... i dont know the ratings, but i think im way over what its supposed to handle. u may be pushing it too though. I spray on mine too though so its just ragged, im trying to save up for a new one

black
    2001 Camaro SS

oh okay i see, well i'll just stick with the clutch i have for now and cross my fingers because i didn't really budget for it.
    i know i already asked this but does any one know where i can get a good dyno tune in the atlanta area?
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 07-09-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: maybe i should make a new thread about the tuning thing

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

^Poke around in the regional boards and ask about a reputable tune shop.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Good luck on your build! You owe us a dyno pull vid now, I hope you realize that.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    so do ya'll think i'll need a new clutch with all that i'm doin, it's an ss so it's supposed to have the z06 clutch.
    My stock clutch held up for quite a few thousand miles and would most likely have been fine for longer (had some tranny issues ended up putting way to many parts in till we got it fixed). I would suggest run the stock clutch until it starts to slip. Just be ready to have some money stored away for when it does go.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

word bottesini i'll do that. and yeah i'll definitly get a video hoss thanks for the advice

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    That would be too much for me as a daily driver.
    Some can handle it though.

Tune is key.
    and proper rear gearing...

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

anyone have the TSP 228r 112 lsa cam in an M6 car?

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Im Running The Tsp 224/224 112lsa 581 So Far So Good I Had A Mail Order Tune Done By Frost Havent Seen The Dyno Yet But I Can Feel It Its Gonna Be Strong!!!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

black
    2001 Camaro SS

oh i'm so stoked. i gotta sort something out with tsp and a credit card issue and it's on the way... then i gotta wait till the end of this month to get up to atlanta this is gonna be forever

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

I drive my 235/238 109lsa daily and it has great street manners. Never stalled once.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

wow man that sounds pretty serious of a cam, i guess everyone's definition of driveablility is different.

black
    99 formula firebird

i have a lunati cam .234 .236 .544 .545 @ 112lsa and it made 380 hp / 350 tq on vengance racings dyno but i want MOREEEE...and yeai did the lifters, pushrods, springs, locks,retainers, etc..and ported ls6oil pump..nd dbl roller timing cain too come to think of it..

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You should have just got a cam package from TSP with the TSP dual springs, they're the same thing as Patriots. I daily drove Comp 918 with my 224 cam for a while with no problems tho. The ZO6 clutch is lame, I'd start saving now. Try this place for a dyno. http://www.atlantachassisdyno.com/

black
    2001 Camaro SS

alright word... qtrqhore i'm guessin you have boltons and stuff too? Alright i'll check out that place for a dyno

inmy01ta i just got a related search page
    Last edited by chevyss1234; 07-13-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LS16SPD View Post
    Im Running The Tsp 224/224 112lsa 581 So Far So Good I Had A Mail Order Tune Done By Frost Havent Seen The Dyno Yet But I Can Feel It Its Gonna Be Strong!!!!
    do you have a video/sound clip? i want to hear a cold start/warm start/ and revs too if you can.
    i like the low lsa, but i dont want it to sound like its struggling to stay on.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

alright so it's set, i've got all the parts and i'm headed to atlanta sunday afternoon to start puttin it together monday. I've got a tune at vengeance racing on saturday and i'm good to go.
    Question: does anyone know what kind of times i can expect? I'm expecting 380-400 rwhp is that too much to expect?
    Mods: ported tb, lts, ory,cutout, slp lid (which ended up NOT rubbing ) and a tsp228r cam

black
    2001 Camaro SS

OKAY!! so here's the deal to fill ya'll in. I got in the shop monday and me and two of my buddies have been workin on this car since.
    i've gotten the headers, y-pipe, and the motor mounts... Mr. Luos, you were right they are such a bitch... wow.... those things sucked. Any way we got em in somehow... and now i've got the water pump off, the radiator out and everything else to go... here's the fun part....
    the guy who's gonna put in my cam and degree it for me and what not is straight up old school. When i was told he had the tools, he has nothing for an ls1.... meaning no tools to hold the lifters up.
    Anyway so i started pulling the intake manifold off tonite cause i didn't think i'd need the tools (i thought he'd have the tools to hold the lifters up) and he didn't have em... i feel like a dumbass. by the way if anyone in the atanta area has those tools and wants to lend them out to someone in powder springs let me know...
    So i pulled all the bolts out of the intake manifold and it won't come off... as far as a know there are ten bolts holding it in and i can pull it off. if there anyrhing else i need to do cause it's not coming.... i'm guessin it just needs some persuasion but i don't want to break anything... also does it have some sensor on the back?
    Thanks for reading my novel..
    Mike

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I just used two wood dowels to hold up the lifters while I did my cam swap.

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

Cams

It's been awhile since I' ve been on here, after reading some of your suggestions on cams and components, I thought I would share what I used when mine was done back in may. Comp cam 222-224-275-277-112cl, comp roller rockers 1.72 ratio, comp beehive springs with titanium retainers & locks seals & hardened push rods. My hawk hasn't had a tune done yet since the install, but runs really strong I haven't had any problems so far and it has seen several 6500 rpms. The tune is comming soon,and I'm totally satisfied with my set up. I don't drive my hawk every day, mostly on weekends & if it's nice enough to put the top down.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information