Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am man 99 View Post
    Fords not telling the whole truth car really has around 435 H P !!!! Couple mags have already put the new 2011 on the machine to find out !!!!! Looks like GM beter dig a lot deeper for some power for their Camaro !!!!!!!!!
    Car Craft claims they had a brand new one on a chassis dyno and it almost eclipsed 400 RWHP.
    Pretty healthy. They said it has a better power to weight ratio than both the new camaro and SRT8 challenger. I think that says it all right there.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by trans am man 99 View Post
    Fords not telling the whole truth car really has around 435 H P !!!! Couple mags have already put the new 2011 on the machine to find out !!!!! Looks like GM beter dig a lot deeper for some power for their Camaro !!!!!!!!!
    and put the damn thing on a diet!

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    and put the damn thing on a diet!
    I can think of alot of other things too, like ditching the power sucking IRS, which would not only cut weight, and cut costs, but put more power to the wheels.
    Get rid of those big ugly 20 inch wheels or what ever they are. That would not only cut overall weight, but reduce unsprung weight too.
    I'd also like to see more rear gear as an option, and get back to a .50 overdrive to compensate. Unfortunately for GM to confide to CAFE standards, that's not going to happen. Honestly I'd like to see the whole platform redesigned.

I could go on but I'll quit picking on it

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can think of alot of other things too, like ditching the power sucking IRS, which would not only cut weight, and cut costs, but put more power to the wheels.
    Get rid of those big ugly 20 inch wheels or what ever they are. That would not only cut overall weight, but reduce unsprung weight too.
    I'd also like to see more rear gear as an option, and get back to a .50 overdrive to compensate. Unfortunately for GM to confide to CAFE standards, that's not going to happen. Honestly I'd like to see the whole platform redesigned.

I could go on but I'll quit picking on it
    that is the plan..the 2012 i think is supposed to be on a lighter weight platform ..the alpha platform which is a smaller midsize platform so expect near 4th gen weight and more power. I agree with everything you said old man..minus the IRS ...i think for the camaro to sell well it will need to have the IRS for its handling and ride characteristics. but yeah...have a 18" wheel option with a 10-11 width . offer a performance rear end ratio, and the powerplant wouldnt even need to be touched to exceed the srt8s and the GTs ...and this is something they could implement right now ...add the Alpha chassis and it is all over for the GT and srt8s .....400rwhp in a 3600-3900 platform ...

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    that is the plan..the 2012 i think is supposed to be on a lighter weight platform ..the alpha platform which is a smaller midsize platform so expect near 4th gen weight and more power. I agree with everything you said old man..minus the IRS ...i think for the camaro to sell well it will need to have the IRS for its handling and ride characteristics. but yeah...have a 18" wheel option with a 10-11 width . offer a performance rear end ratio, and the powerplant wouldnt even need to be touched to exceed the srt8s and the GTs ...and this is something they could implement right now ...add the Alpha chassis and it is all over for the GT and srt8s .....400rwhp in a 3600-3900 platform ...
    Does this new planned platform still utilize IRS???

I don't know about most, but I don't buy a 4 seater camaro to turn corners, and I have found even the solid axles far exceed my limitations, I'm not Mario Andretti I'd buy another vette if I were really into that sort of thing.
    Seems 99% here are more worried about how fast a car goes in a straight line, don't need IRS for that. But I guess you are right in the fact that it's a market now, they make what they think they can sell, GM just hasn't been very good at those decisions it seems.
    Ford tried it, and went back to solid axles. Hasn't hurt their sales from what I've seen.
    Guess you could say I just haven't liked the new camaro since it's inception. Maybe a change to a new platform might do it some good.
    Will kinda suck for all the new camaro buyers out there though that have already bought. When platforms change, that usually means parts interchangability is nill, and parts become obsolete in a few years,,,,UGH!!!

I'm just rambling, carry on......

98' trans am

Does this new planned platform still utilize IRS???

I don't know about most, but I don't buy a 4 seater camaro to turn corners, and I have found even the solid axles far exceed my limitations, I'm not Mario Andretti I'd buy another vette if I were really into that sort of thing.
    Seems 99% here are more worried about how fast a car goes in a straight line, don't need IRS for that. But I guess you are right in the fact that it's a market now, they make what they think they can sell, GM just hasn't been very good at those decisions it seems.
    Ford tried it, and went back to solid axles. Hasn't hurt their sales from what I've seen.
    Guess you could say I just haven't liked the new camaro since it's inception. Maybe a change to a new platform might do it some good.
    Will kinda suck for all the new camaro buyers out there though that have already bought. When platforms change, that usually means parts interchangability is nill, and parts become obsolete in a few years,,,,UGH!!!

I'm just rambling, carry on......

im sure it will use IRS ....you are right about the mustang ..who knows ...id love a solid axle underneath the new maro ....i just dont think Gm wants to take that risk on ride quality etc...and you know damn well if they did ...knowing GM they'd put that damn 7.5 10 bolt in it

and you know damn well if they did ...knowing GM they'd put that damn 7.5 10 bolt in it
    Oooofff!! You are probably right. I didn't think about that. Best to just stick with what they have

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

They could bump the LS3 up to 450 or 475hp with absolutely no problem, just a mild cam swap. That's not digging deep at all. It might cause a problem with the Z06 and upcoming Z28 though, so don't hold your breath. I really don't expect a lot of increase in performance for the SS, because GM doesn't want to make the Z28 (which should be a slightly heavier car) irrelevant.

That's what I'm keeping in mind. The only way I'll buy a brand new Camaro is if the Gen 6 is 3700 pounds with the same power. If you buy a gen 5 Camaro and put shorter tires on it, however, it does greatly improve the performance. 305/30R19 will do just fine, without much compromise in the appearance of the car. This http://www.peddersusa.com/products/21/166

http://www.peddersusa.com/products/21/179

Honestly looks pretty good IMHO

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

IRS is a mainstream item mainly because of ride comfort. IRS is more comfy than live axle and there is no arguing that. Thats why people want it

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    IRS is a mainstream item mainly because of ride comfort. IRS is more comfy than live axle and there is no arguing that. Thats why people want it
    Ya I guess if that's what floats your boat. Guess I'm not that spoiled, I find solid axle cars ride just fine for me

I've always felt for years that car manufactures have been giving us more than is really necessary.
    I just need 4 wheels that roll, a steering wheel that turns, gas and brakes,,,,and I'm happy

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Ya I guess if that's what floats your boat. Guess I'm not that spoiled, I find solid axle cars ride just fine for me

I've always felt for years that car manufactures have been giving us more than is really necessary.
    I just need 4 wheels that roll, a steering wheel that turns, gas and brakes,,,,and I'm happy
    But there is only 1 of you, and sadly your income isnt enough to keep these companies afloat so they have to give the people what they want and have grown used to. And if you do make that much buy me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    But there is only 1 of you, and sadly your income isnt enough to keep these companies afloat so they have to give the people what they want and have grown used to. And if you do make that much buy me something.
    I wish I could, but like most, I'm not made of money either. If I were, I'd like to just buy the car manufacture and make major changes. But that wouldn't work either, the government wouldn't let me build a car the way I would want one.
    Which is why I still drive my classic stuff that is 40+ years old

As far as I'm concerned with most of these new cars, they can just drive them right off a cliff.

98' trans am

i like what pedders is doing with the maro ...as the maro is stuck with IRS ...you might as well use its strong points...and pedders is doing that..tightening up the bushes etc making the maro handle and brake well..not to mention launch well.

i like what pedders is doing with the maro ...as the maro is stuck with IRS ...you might as well use its strong points...and pedders is doing that..tightening up the bushes etc making the maro handle and brake well..not to mention launch well.
    Exactly. IRS has more handling potential than a solid axle, while solid axles have more drag-racing potential. Since the focus these days is more on handling than drag-racing, it makes sense that the newer muscle cars would be designed with IRS. There are companies out there that wil retro-fit solid axles into the modern cars for those who still don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Exactly. IRS has more handling potential than a solid axle, while solid axles have more drag-racing potential. Since the focus these days is more on handling than drag-racing, it makes sense that the newer muscle cars would be designed with IRS. There are companies out there that wil retro-fit solid axles into the modern cars for those who still don't like it.
    I think if GM was that worried about handling they wouldn't have made it such a pig. GM missed the boat on the camaro plain and simple while ford hit the mark with the 2011 mustang has much as I hate to say it being a GM guy. I really don't think the people that can afford a new muscle car are all about handling if you want that you can find much better cars out there than a camaro, mustang or challenger. Muscle cars will always be about who's faster not who handles better. Don't get me wrong i'm not bashing IRS I just don't think the focus of these cars is about handling.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I think if GM was that worried about handling they wouldn't have made it such a pig. GM missed the boat on the camaro plain and simple while ford hit the mark with the 2011 mustang has much as I hate to say it being a GM guy. I really don't think the people that can afford a new muscle car are all about handling if you want that you can find much better cars out there than a camaro, mustang or challenger. Muscle cars will always be about who's faster not who handles better. Don't get me wrong i'm not bashing IRS I just don't think the focus of these cars is about handling.
    it is about ride comfort and handling. the whole zeta platform is about ride comfort and handling in respects to its size. the maro's rim/tire combination says it all..riding on basically suv set up.

the mustang will have its turn in the lime light ..their top end package is very impressive..but look in the next few years and that mustang will get heavier

it is about ride comfort and handling. the whole zeta platform is about ride comfort and handling in respects to its size. the maro's rim/tire combination says it all..riding on basically suv set up.

the mustang will have its turn in the lime light ..their top end package is very impressive..but look in the next few years and that mustang will get heavier
    I never said anything about ride and comfort, I agree with you on that. All I said was they were not that concerned about handling and when I say that I'm talking about performance handling. Will the mustang get heavier to give the buyer more comfort and a better ride perhaps. Maybe the camaro will get lighter so it can be faster who knows. All I know is people who buy these cars are more concerned about beating the other guy or gal to the next light then getting to the top of a twisty mountain road first.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    All I know is people who buy these cars are more concerned about beating the other guy or gal to the next light then getting to the top of a twisty mountain road first.
    true

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information