Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by LS2 KLR View Post
    Currently my shortblock is at the shop but hoping to get it back by the end of next week. Had it freshened up and dropped the compression to 9:1. Then I'm hoping to hang with the "big boys." It made over 400 with 3lbs so hopefully it puts up some good numbers with around 17.
    im guessin it just MIGHT haha

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

When my SS was bone stock, with 110,000 miles, I bolted on a 125 shot and ET Street DR and ran an 11.73. I did have minor tuning done to add fuel and subtracted 3* timing.

Black
    2000 T/A

what makes me feel good is the fact that I have never lst to a ford mustang, other than my 66.

1999 Pontiac Firebird- 241hp
    2000 Firebird Formula-330ish? hp (full bolt on car)
    2002 Pontiac Firebird-200hp
    2002 Z28 Camaro- Yet to dyno- (exhaust, lid, spray, cam,etc.)

99 would beat 99-04 Gts (unmodifed-slightly modified)
    00 would beat 04-07 GTs (unmodified-modified)
    02 bird' never races it's a DD
    02 Z28 has only raced an 04 GT turbo'd and an 03 Cobra.

beat them both

oh my 99 did lose to my 1966 Mustang w/ a 289 bored over to idk... some crap.. I didn't know about cars then my 99 was stock and I was 16, lol

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Well just a few that I quick found for N/A pretty impressive for what they have done, http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...2/scan0004.jpg http://greatsave9.smugmug.com/galler...147946218-L-LB and last but not least http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73364 just a quick 30 second look and the last one puts your blower to shame. My only complain with the cobra's is that yes they do have a nice tourqe curve but peak hp doesnt come in to play until your just about ready to shift.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Well just a few that I quick found for N/A pretty impressive for what they have done, http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...2/scan0004.jpg http://greatsave9.smugmug.com/galler...147946218-L-LB and last but not least http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73364 just a quick 30 second look and the last one puts your blower to shame. My only complain with the cobra's is that yes they do have a nice tourqe curve but peak hp doesnt come in to play until your just about ready to shift.
    if you've been around dyno's you would know that the higher in the RPM you start the car off, the rwtq numbers come up consistantly higher. If he were to start off at about 2000 rpm, those rwtq numbers would not be as high. I bet it would still be impressive, but not quite what is shown there. and peak hp comes on at 6000rpm or so on mine, and the engine can rev out to 7000rpm if i really wanted to take it that high.

actually, and looking at the thread, you would see that the one that "puts my blower to shame" is actually running nitrous. a comparable 450 rwhp car, as I had said, would be this one:

impressive, yes, but the area under the curve/rwtq still goes to the roots/screw cobra. it doesnt even break 400rwtq till about 4600rpm whereas the cobra is there at about 2000rpm.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    How am i a troll, because i speak the truth? Face it the cobra is the faster car hands down. Modding a car the right way isnt cheap to begin with, so i dont understand what your trying to say. LOL and dont get me wrong LS1's are fast as hell but its not unstopable. As far as value goes, maybe the LS1 is the best bang for the buck to compete with a cobra, but that doesnt mean the LS1 is the only car in the world that will kill a cobra. Depreciation?? Automobiles depreciate the worst in value, and FYI cobras hold their value pretty well, much better than an LS1. I have yet to see a termi with about 50k miles go for anthing less than $20k.
    Not true, I've seen some cobras with decent miles (can't remember exactly) for around 18k. Some ppl see ls1 f bodies with really low miles for around $30K and everyone says they aren't worth it cuz you can get a cobra and mod it for that price. But it's because low mile ls1 f bodies are appreciating in value. In general it's really a never ending battle. Too bad ls1 f bodies didn't come with a forged crank and a stout rear end... good bye cobras.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Another thing I forgot to mention:
    Pullied Cobra: ~450 rwhp/tq 11 second car
    H/C LS1: ~400 rwhp/tq 11 second car

I bought my T/A for $11k and if I was rich I would have spent $3k on a h/c swap and $3k on clutch/rear. and probably another grand on a tune and misc. boltons. = ~$18K total which is about the cheapest you can get a bone stock cobra.
    I think its great to have less hp (spend less $) and still be equal or faster!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I think the crank is pretty good, but the rods (specifically the rod bolts) and pistons were the weakest part of the engine. Then again, it wasn't designed for forced induction either. I have been running mine at 475 some horsepower for a year now with no problems, but I think a blower would finish off the bottom end.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Another thing I forgot to mention:
    Pullied Cobra: ~450 rwhp/tq 11 second car
    H/C LS1: ~400 rwhp/tq 11 second car

I bought my T/A for $11k and if I was rich I would have spent $3k on a h/c swap and $3k on clutch/rear. and probably another grand on a tune and misc. boltons. = ~$18K total which is about the cheapest you can get a bone stock cobra.
    I think its great to have less hp (spend less $) and still be equal or faster!
    when you start talking about total spent, then that brings on too many vehicles such as a fox body etc.

also, the difference needed by the cobra is closer to about ~35rwhp at that power level. about 15rwhp for aero, 20rwhp for weight.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Roastem View Post
    I think the crank is pretty good, but the rods (specifically the rod bolts) and pistons were the weakest part of the engine. Then again, it wasn't designed for forced induction either. I have been running mine at 475 some horsepower for a year now with no problems, but I think a blower would finish off the bottom end.
    475 at the crank or rwhp? When I was in high school, my math teacher, who had a 98 supra (and sold it to buy a c6 zo6), told me that forced induction wouldn't be the best route for my car unless i totally rebuilt the motor. He suggested nitrous. He said to start of with a 75 shot to get used to it and then a 100 would be fine.

I've heard from many people and companies that low boost on our cars will be fine. I think the 5 (maybe 8) psi kit from sts claims 508 hp or rwhp (not sure) on a stock ls1. If the ls1 can take a little boost, i have a feeling the clutch and rear would have to be upgraded as well.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Crank HP, and on a side note, if I see another mustang dyno sheet I am gonna all over my boots.

Black
    2000 T/A

Don't get me wrong... cobras will haul ass, andare a pretty good pirce for what you're getting.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Listen i dont wanna sound like a ... but for every one mod a cobra does and LS1 will hafta do 3.
    i dont' believe that. Mod for mod, an ls1 would kill a cobra. Aren't they blown 4.6L? So put nitrous or a blower on your 5.7 and bye bye cobra.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i dont' believe that. Mod for mod, an ls1 would kill a cobra. Aren't they blown 4.6L? So put nitrous or a blower on your 5.7 and bye bye cobra.
    mod for mod, i dont think so. to be fair, add the same blower to the cobra that your adding to the LS1. the stock blower on the Cobra is pretty crappy compared to what can be had out there. there's a reason stock cobra blowers only sell for about $300.

and then eventually, it just turns into who can spend the most.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TrickStang37 View Post
    mod for mod, i dont think so. to be fair, add the same blower to the cobra that your adding to the LS1. the stock blower on the Cobra is pretty crappy compared to what can be had out there. there's a reason stock cobra blowers only sell for about $300.

it is always a battle of money what we are trying to convey is that he could put 7k into his car and it would handle most of the bolton pullied cobras out there which would still be less then a modded cobra depending on what he bought his car for.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

They aint that bad. My friend has an 03 with a stage 4 stiegemeier and is JUST shy of 500hp. No doubt a KB or whipple with the right mods and tune can make well over 600 to the wheels, but they are also not cheap.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

when you start talking about total spent, then that brings on too many vehicles such as a fox body etc.

also, the difference needed by the cobra is closer to about ~35rwhp at that power level. about 15rwhp for aero, 20rwhp for weight.
    That's true, i guess I was thinking of the newer and nicer cars cuz you could get a foxbody for a grand or less

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Have you considered a Grand National? they will not go down in value and respond to more boost with open arms. That was my origional choice but i can not afford one
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6... few things done.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

ok, I just noticed that graph i posted up there was of a procharged LS1. It took me quite a while but I finally found some 450rwhp NA LS1's. It was tough, most are in the 410-430rwhp range with heads/intake/cam + full bolt-ons. Here's a supercharged LS1 to compare with a H/I/C LS1 and a Pullied Cobra.

Black
    Camaro A4

I'm a mustang lover to the core

but even i wouldn't trade in a car (ANY CAR) with a LS1. Not a camaro, bird, or vette. Just the same if i already had a Cobra i'd not trade it for a LS1. When you reached the level of ls1 or 03-04 cobra it's all about mods and drivers so switching to the other side because you lost a race is just silly imo.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information