Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Alright, so I've got my LED's installed. Put some aluminum tape (the kind used for duct work) on the bottom face inside the scoop. Looks reeeeeal good. I'll post pics in a few days.

I'd like to wire them differenty, though, so I don't have to dim my dash lights when I want to dim the LED's (i.e. I don't want to get pulled over). I was thinking of wiring them to the Fog lights (where's the fuse for that?) Or maybe I'll do a basic on/off switch and stick it under the dash. Anyone know how either of these would work??? I don't know jack about electrical.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

nice job your ride looks good with it on it. there is a white ta in north ky whit blue in the hood and i like your install much more.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    Alright, so I've got my LED's installed. Put some aluminum tape (the kind used for duct work) on the bottom face inside the scoop. Looks reeeeeal good. I'll post pics in a few days.

I'd like to wire them differenty, though, so I don't have to dim my dash lights when I want to dim the LED's (i.e. I don't want to get pulled over). I was thinking of wiring them to the Fog lights (where's the fuse for that?) Or maybe I'll do a basic on/off switch and stick it under the dash. Anyone know how either of these would work??? I don't know jack about electrical.
    I thought about doing the on/off switch as well, but like you I am not electrically enclined enough to know how to set it up. Connecting it to the dimmer has worked out great so far. I usually dim them during the morning ride to work just enough so I can see the dash..and then again at dusk when the daylights come on.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    I thought about doing the on/off switch as well, but like you I am not electrically enclined enough to know how to set it up. Connecting it to the dimmer has worked out great so far. I usually dim them during the morning ride to work just enough so I can see the dash..and then again at dusk when the daylights come on.
    Yeah that's what I've been doing so far, too. But I'm thinking I'll try to pick up a switch one of these days and wire it up anyway. I'll see how it goes.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

It is not hard to wire a switch in, come on guys.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I know it's not difficult. It's just that fear of going outside and seeing your car on fire that makes you think twice. Plus I want to make sure it's a clean, hidden look. I don't want to rice out my interior with aircraft switches.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Here's some images. I used a 9 inch LED strip with aluminum tape on the bottom face inside the scoop. I like the second one with the clouds in the background...

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Here's some images. I used a 9 inch LED strip with aluminum tape on the bottom face inside the scoop. I like the second one with the clouds in the background...

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Beautiful bro.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I know it's not difficult. It's just that fear of going outside and seeing your car on fire that makes you think twice. Plus I want to make sure it's a clean, hidden look. I don't want to rice out my interior with aircraft switches.
    Yeah after thinking about I agree it is pretty simpl huh...funny you mention "fire" though. I noticed my dim switch panel being very warm this morning after the drive into work. I am curious if anyone noticed more heat than usual on thier panel. I never noticed before so this could be normal. We really don't want any fires here

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Looks great

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    Beautiful bro.

Thanks. Nice write up, btw.

As for that hot fuse panel....hmmm I gotta check mine out now

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Thanks. Nice write up, btw.

As for that hot fuse panel....hmmm I gotta check mine out now
    I doubt there's anything to worry about. First off, they're only on when my lights are on, secondly, the LEDs use a very very little amount of power. You could get a bigger fuse, but I think it would be unecessary.

Black
    2000 WS.6

When I wired my neon, I wired them independantly from the lights. I grounded the neon to the chassis, and ran the hot wire through the firewall to the back of the console. I then tapped into the cigarette lighter next to the ABS switch to power them, and followed the directions included on the lighted switch.
    For the switch itself, I hooked up the hot wire from the neon to the switch, then ran wire from the the cigarette lighter's hot wire (researched online to determine the hot wire....don't remember which one it was now though) to the switch, and finally a ground wire from the switch to bare metal.
    I threaded the wires through the cigarette lighter's housing and put the round lighted switch in there. I can turn the lights on and off whenever I want.

Last edited by Bombhunter; 03-26-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Bombhunter View Post
    When I wired my neon, I wired them independantly from the lights. I grounded the neon to the chassis, and ran the hot wire through the firewall to the back of the console. I then tapped into the cigarette lighter next to the ABS switch to power them, and followed the directions included on the lighted switch.
    For the switch itself, I hooked up the hot wire from the neon to the switch, then ran wire from the the cigarette lighter's hot wire (researched online to determine the hot wire....don't remember which one it was now though) to the switch, and finally a ground wire from the switch to bare metal.
    I threaded the wires through the cigarette lighter's housing and put the round lighted switch in there. I can turn the lights on and off whenever I want.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    How is your wire run under the hood?

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    How is your wire run under the hood?
    I have them in a plastic wire loom, taped to the underside. I used clear packing-type tape, and a black loom and it's held for over 3 years. Doesn't look crappy as I pulled it tight, and only used a couple pieces to hold it secure. I tried different things, and ironically, the packing tape worked best. I tried electrical tape and a sort of sticky back clip, neither of which held secure enough. I didn't want the wires to fall into the engine...

I suppose I could've used double sided 3M tape on the back side of the loom and tacked it up that way too...if it ever falls, I might try that....

I ran them down the passenger side, and in through the whole that's already on that side of the firewall...

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

I have them in a plastic wire loom, taped to the underside. I used clear packing-type tape, and a black loom and it's held for over 3 years. Doesn't look crappy as I pulled it tight, and only used a couple pieces to hold it secure. I tried different things, and ironically, the packing tape worked best. I tried electrical tape and a sort of sticky back clip, neither of which held secure enough. I didn't want the wires to fall into the engine...

I suppose I could've used double sided 3M tape on the back side of the loom and tacked it up that way too...if it ever falls, I might try that....

I ran them down the passenger side, and in through the whole that's already on that side of the firewall...
    The switch looks really good, nice job.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Nice Job! About how long did this take you to do? I do kinda' like the ability to dim the lights as a precaution for getting stopped; so a dimer would work there as well right?

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    Nice Job! About how long did this take you to do? I do kinda' like the ability to dim the lights as a precaution for getting stopped; so a dimer would work there as well right?
    Thanks...it probably only took me an hour or so, at most...the hardest part was getting them through the firewall. Had to unbolt the computer and move it out of the way to access the hole easier.
    I'm sure a dimmer would work. I have mine on a regular on/off switch. It's off 99.9% of the time. I usually only turn them on when I'm sitting in a parking lot, getting gas, or if someone cuts me off. I'll flip them on for a second, then turn them back off. Almost never have them on when I'm on the streets

The cops in my area don't play around, so I try not to give them an excuse to pull me over. They do a fine job of thinking up things to get me with all on their own anyway....

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Thanks...it probably only took me an hour or so, at most...the hardest part was getting them through the firewall. Had to unbolt the computer and move it out of the way to access the hole easier.
    I'm sure a dimmer would work. I have mine on a regular on/off switch. It's off 99.9% of the time. I usually only turn them on when I'm sitting in a parking lot, getting gas, or if someone cuts me off. I'll flip them on for a second, then turn them back off. Almost never have them on when I'm on the streets

The cops in my area don't play around, so I try not to give them an excuse to pull me over. They do a fine job of thinking up things to get me with all on their own anyway....

Ok, thnks. I will probably put a dimmer in when I do the wire relocation mod and the autotrix passanger window fix. I have to move the computer then anyway. So far I have passed about a dozen cops and about 3 or 4 looked pretty hard. So, hopefully they feel that they have better things to do than stop me for that.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i want to get one that goes back and froth like kit!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information