Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I know I prolly sound like I'm bad mouthing my Camaro or 4th gens in general..
    Not the intent.. Our lifestyle and way of making a living keeps us very busy most days.
    Simply put, I just don't have the time the 10 yr old Camaro required nor for the project I had planned for it.. I have a 6-month project comming up on 3-yrs (FML) here in June that needs done as well..

It was a great, fun, car and we loved her..
    But the old girl was getting tired, and I don't have the time she needed so we set her free...

Her chances of finding another "lover" would be better served with a new home than just sitting on my lots rotting away..
    Completely understandable... It's the circle of life... of cars... or our love for them. It's easy to get burnt out and lose your passion. Completely normal, I went through this a couple months ago. I just hope you don't regret setting the ole girl free, and I definitely hope you decide to stick around here! Not a single person around here has a love of the 60*'s like you do!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Completely understandable... It's the circle of life... of cars... or our love for them. It's easy to get burnt out and lose your passion. Completely normal, I went through this a couple months ago. I just hope you don't regret setting the ole girl free, and I definitely hope you decide to stick around here! Not a single person around here has a love of the 60*'s like you do!
    lol thanks!

I did'nt lose the passion.. I think my next F-body will be one like I had as a teen and ~21.. I had 2 third gens an 89 v6, and a 92 25th anni 350..
    Had a kid out of wedlock and the rest is history..lol

The third gens were a better car IMHO.. Dare I say better handling as well
    I've also had 2-v6 4th gens now.. I think Ima go backwards from here..
    Back to the (3rd) generation of Camaro that broke the mold..imho

...and start over.. You did notice that I'm building a second TDC did'nt ya??
    It's gonna need a home too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-13-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

lol thanks!

I did'nt lose the passion.. I think my next F-body will be one like I had as a teen and ~21.. I had 2 third gens an 89 v6, and a 92 25th anni 350..
    Had a kid out of wedlock and the rest is history..lol

The third gens were a better car IMHO.. Dare I say better handling as well
    I've also had 2-v6 4th gens now.. I think Ima go backwards from here..
    Back to the (3rd) generation of Camaro that broke the mold..imho

...and start over.. You did notice that I'm building a second TDC did'nt ya??
    It's gonna need a home too..
    Yes I did see that... I thought you already had a home for it.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yes I did see that... I thought you already had a home for it.
    I have a home for the red one not the blue one yet..

Since the H2's and 3's have gotten more jeep size they have kinda lost their luster for me. I'm more of an H1 guy.

And an I5 for an engine Smittro? I thought those things were coming with LS engines for a while. Not anymore I guess?

It rolls like a caddy on the open highway.. Rides like one too.. Yes it's very quiet, till you take a sweeping bend @ normal speeds then you get an irretating repeatative noise because of the agressive sidewall shoulder and the goofy nix-matched spread between the treads there..
    I can't stand the, "wawawawawa" sound they make.. Just a typical poor designed Crookyear with nylon bicycle tire cords inside.. Same as BFGarbage..

Just looking at your pics, those tires appear to be pretty smooth,,,almost "car like". Hard to believe they would be that noisy. Maybe they are cupped or chaffed from not being rotated properly?
    I always run either Goodyear MTR's which is a very aggressive looking tire, and runs fairly quiet "IF" I keep them rotated. For off road it's an awsome tire that is very puncture resistant, I see them quite often on military spec H1's. Comes factory on the last generation of Rubicons too.
    Currently I'm running BFG All Terrains. They run a tad quieter, smoother, nice highway tire. They are "OKAY" for off road but in slippery conditions they just aren't as good as the MTR's I've used.
    Trying to find a happy medium for both uses is tough.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just looking at your pics, those tires appear to be pretty smooth,,,almost "car like". Hard to believe they would be that noisy. Maybe they are cupped or chaffed from not being rotated properly?
    I always run either Goodyear MTR's which is a very aggressive looking tire, and runs fairly quiet "IF" I keep them rotated. For off road it's an awsome tire that is very puncture resistant, I see them quite often on military spec H1's. Comes factory on the last generation of Rubicons too.
    Currently I'm running BFG All Terrains. They run a tad quieter, smoother, nice highway tire. They are "OKAY" for off road but in slippery conditions they just aren't as good as the MTR's I've used.
    Trying to find a happy medium for both uses is tough.
    Don't know when or if they were rotated.. Only had her lil' over a week..

The 16x7.5 Hummer wheel should be easy to find what I am looking for tire wise.. Very common wheel Dia..
    I don't need all terrain tires, or mudders.. Again this is 98.99% a pavement pounder..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-14-2011 at 12:12 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Since the H2's and 3's have gotten more jeep size they have kinda lost their luster for me. I'm more of an H1 guy.

And an I5 for an engine Smittro? I thought those things were coming with LS engines for a while. Not anymore I guess?
    Yes I5, the '08 Vortec 3700 DOHC VVT was upgraded to over 240 + hp crank from the earlier 202hp.. The Hummer is nicer inside than any of the "full size" Jeeps we looked @.. ALso if needed, the Hummer has considerably more ground clearance and climbing capability than the Jeep SUV's.. Far better warranty offer, as well as the Hummer holding it's value better than any of the jeeps we looked @ (meaning, it would have been a financial mistake to purchase one)..
    Jeep would also have been a down grade..imho sorry.. After extensive research the Hummer was the wisest choice for us when compared to other suv's/ and crossovers @ the same new or used price of $21.8k.. When compared to previous sales of suv's from various manufacturers new or used.
    As well as numbers of particular SUV's traded in our area @ a sertain mileage and going lot prices.. Setting our budget @ 25k (new or used) we quickly discovered that more folks keep their Hummers than keep thier, Jeeps, toyotas, kia's, nissans, etc, etc.. Hummers tend to hold thier value in the years ranging from 2005 to the end of Hummer and today.. Where as we found other types of SUV's fall on their face in 4 years and forget 5 year values.. Our search included: Ohio, Wv, Va, and lower Ny. Also searches within a 7 county radius of us.. With 35k on the clock the price was right @ 2k under budget. Everything lined up to be exactly what we needed and wanted right down to the color.. Down side was I had to let the Blue Lady go. She was laying down her last tracks and getting sick.. The nickle and dimeing had to end..

A 5.3 v8 was offered only in the H3 and H3T both with the "Alpha" option..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Yes I5, the '08 Vortec 3700 DOHC VVT was upgraded to over 240 + hp crank from the earlier 202hp.. The Hummer is nicer inside than any of the "full size" Jeeps we looked @.. ALso Hummer has considerably more ground clearance and climbing capability than the Jeep SUV's.. Far better warranty offer, as well as the Hummer holding it's value better than any of the jeeps we looked @ (meaning, it would have been a financial mistake to purchase one)..
    Jeep would also have been a down grade..imho sorry.. After extensive research the Hummer was the wisest choice for us when compared to other suv's/ and crossovers @ the same new or used price of $21.8k.. When compared to previous sales of suv's from various manufacturers new or used.
    As well as numbers of particular SUV's traded in our area @ a sertain mileage and going lot prices.. Setting our budget @ 25k (new or used) we quickly discovered that more folks keep their Hummers than keep thier, Jeeps, toyotas, kia's, nissans, etc, etc.. Hummers tend to hold thier value in the years ranging from 2005 - the end of Hummer and today.. Where as we found other types of SUV's fall on their face in 4 years and forget 5 year values.. Our search included: Ohio, Wv, Va, and lower Ny. Also searches within a 7 county radius of us.. With 35k on the clock the price was right @ 2k under budget. Everything lined up to be exactly what we needed and wanted.. Down side was I had to let the Blue Lady go. She was laying down her last tracks and getting sick.. The nickle and dimeing had to end..
    You've done more research on 1 truck than I have done on all our models combined!!!

Guess it depends on which Jeep line you are talking about. The 05 Rubicon we had would outwheel any H2 or 3, being smaller I could get through more places as well. 06 was the last of the good body style wranglers. The topless feature is also a bonus. Not always a family friendly vehicle however.
    We sold it for more than we paid for it after the new body style came out. Rubi's seem to hold their value better than most other jeeps.
    I personally wouldn't touch the new wranglers though since the redesign change, they got bigger and went to an anemic V6 with no low end. Many jeep lovers jumped ship after that. In that sense I could see your reasoning for the H3.

What happened to the LS engines in the Hummers? I could have sworn I've seen them with LS engines. As a matter of fact, there are a few running around here and they have the definate sound of a V8.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

What happened to the LS engines in the Hummers? I could have sworn I've seen them with LS engines. As a matter of fact, there are a few running around here and they have the definate sound of a V8.
    As far as I know they are all vortec truck engines.... 5.3L LH8
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.

As far as I know they are all vortec truck engines....
    Do you mean the Inline 5 cylinder truck engine?

If you are talking about the Vortec V8 then that's what I'm talking about, which is an LS engine platform.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Powertrains

The H3 was launched with a 3.5 liter straight-5 cylinder L52 engine that produced 202hp and was mated to a standard five-speed manual transmission or an optional Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission. In 2007 this engine was replaced by 3.7 liter LLR that produced 242hp and 242 ft·lb of torque, figures that were revised in 2009 to 239hp and 241 ft·lb. Under revised EPA testing standards when equipped with either transmission this straight-5 engine achieves 14 miles per gallon in the city and 18 miles per gallon on the highway with a combined average of 15 miles per gallon. Available solely with the automatic transmission, a 5.3 liter LH8 V8 producing 300 hp and 320 ft·lb of torque was added in 2008 for the Alpha model of the H3 and returns slightly lower fuel economy estimated at 13 miles per gallon in the city, 16 miles per gallon on the highway, with a combined average of 14 miles per gallon.

Capabilities

The H3 features a two-speed, electronically controlled full-time four-wheel drive system that is suitable for both on-road and off-road driving in all conditions, with electronic locking front and rear differentials optionally available. Like its larger sibling the Hummer H2, the H3 can ford 24 inches of water (tested in depths up to 31 inches) at a speed of 5 miles per hour and 16 inches of water at a speed of 20 miles per hour. Standard ground clearance is measured at 9.7 inches while the approach, departure, and breakover angles are measured at 37.4°, 34.7°, and 22.1° respectively, allowing the H3 to scale a 16 inch vertical wall and negotiate grades of 60% and side slopes of 40%. Though fore and aft recovery hooks are standard, a trailer hitch and wiring harness are optional. Maximum towing capacities are 3000 lbs for the straight-5 with manual transmission, 4500 lbs for the straight-5 with automatic transmission, and 6000 lbs for the V8 with automatic transmission. Cargo volume with the second-row seats in the upright position is 25.0 cubic feet, which expands to a maximum of 62.8 when the seats are folded down. V8 models feature the lightest maximum payload capacity of just over 1100 lbs while straight-5, manual transmission models allow the greatest payload at 1300 lbs.

Safety

Electronic stability control, anti-lock four-wheel disc brakes, brake-controlled traction control, LATCH child-seat anchors, and tire-pressure monitoring are all standard features on the H3. Side-curtain airbags were optional until 2008 when they were made standard across the entire H3 model line. The H3 is rated "acceptable", the second highest rating, by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in both frontal offset and side-impact crashes..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Do you mean the Inline 5 cylinder truck engine?
    If you are talking about the Vortec V8 then that's what I'm talking about, which is an LS engine platform.
    yes I don't know anything about the LH8 other than it's not much of an upgrade over the 08 vvt I5..

yes I don't know anything about the LH8 other than it's not much of an upgrade over the 08 vvt I5..
    Ah so they still offer the V8 LS platform in the H3 then, albiet the little 5.3

There are a couple of H2's running around here with a V8. I assume they also used the 5.3 litre too.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Guess it depends on which Jeep line you are talking about. The 05 Rubicon we had would outwheel any H2 or 3, being smaller I could get through more places as well. 06 was the last of the good body style wranglers. The topless feature is also a bonus. Not always a family friendly vehicle however.
    We sold it for more than we paid for it after the new body style came out. Rubi's seem to hold their value better than most other jeeps.
    I personally wouldn't touch the new wranglers though since the redesign change, they got bigger and went to an anemic V6 with no low end. Many jeep lovers jumped ship after that. In that sense I could see your reasoning for the H3.
    A small Jeep or wrangler style would be useless to us and nowhere near the luxury..

Even the grand cherokee is'nt worth piss after 4-5 years..
    You can get low mileage 06-07 luxury packaged H3's holding their value over 40k right now... Seen them as high as 60k used..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You've done more research on 1 truck than I have done on all our models combined!!!
    I'm always looking for the right deal...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Ah so they still offer the V8 LS platform in the H3 then, albiet the little 5.3

There are a couple of H2's running around here with a V8. I assume they also used the 5.3 litre too.
    H2's got the LQ4 Vortec 6000 out of a 3/4 ton.

A small Jeep or wrangler style would be useless to us and nowhere near the luxury..

Ya that's what I was getting at when I said they aren't always family friendly.
    We liked ours for a while, had 4 of them including a scrambler and then the Rubi. The Rubi was impressive off road and in deep snow. Best 4x4 we've ever had for stuff like that.

But like you, they became not so friendly as the family grew, taking couples to dinner etc...
    So we went back to full size 2 door Blazers again.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information