Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    10's N/A

Most people that despise nitrous are usually the ones that just aren't educated about it. Most people believe the myth that nitrous will guarantee a blown motor - not true. I've been sprayin'...and sprayin' for a decade now with much success. Nitrous has allowed me to go low 11's on my current setup for a reasonable cost, compared to a built turbo or supercharged motor. It's a great, cost-effective upgrade!
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

I never considered it a cheap way to make power,,,simply because I would go all the way with a solid setup,,,,meaning,,,seperate fuel system for the nitrous fuel solenoid, progressive delay box so the initial hit isn't so harsh, very critical on a small tire car and much easier on the engine as well. Then you have your timing retard boxes, bottle warmers, gauges, etc.....

A real solid setup would set you back $1,500 or more easily,,,,in my case anyway. Thats not real cheap, but it does beat other ways of making power as far as price goes.

Not to mention I am not real fond of installing nitrous on a car with a plastic intake,,,,,an accidental nitrous backfire (and they happen) will completely ruin your day,,,,lol.

Saw one recently on an LS motor, which blew apart that high dollar FAST intake and then caught fire and melted the rest

But your right,,,if setup properly it's a great way to make power, and more power is a jet change away if the motor can take it.

red
    2002 ss camaro

do not get the fast throttle body stock one flow just as many cfm and with the right work will keep your drivability and cost less but if you want one I will sell mine cheap knappbunch@msn.com
    Last edited by knappbunch; 04-17-2008 at 07:32 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    do not get the fast throttle body stock one flow just as many cfm and with the right work will keep your drivability and cost less but if you want one I will sell mine cheap knappbunch@msn.com
    the fast 90 or actually the 92 now?? if so you know the 90 will outflow a stock tb anyday..but for this guy's application the fast 90/90...92/92 is OVER KILL and will not see any gains over the ls6 until he gets a beefier cam and heads

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

Not to mention I am not real fond of installing nitrous on a car with a plastic intake,,,,,an accidental nitrous backfire (and they happen) will completely ruin your day,,,,lol.

Saw one recently on an LS motor, which blew apart that high dollar FAST intake and then caught fire and melted the rest

But your right,,,if setup properly it's a great way to make power, and more power is a jet change away if the motor can take it.
    x2 the new fast 92/92 set-up has fixed that problem and is made from some different compound to handle nitrous operations

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    x2 the new fast 92/92 set-up has fixed that problem and is made from some different compound to handle nitrous operations
    Interesting. Nice to know.

10's N/A

I never considered it a cheap way to make power,,,simply because I would go all the way with a solid setup,,,,meaning,,,seperate fuel system for the nitrous fuel solenoid, progressive delay box so the initial hit isn't so harsh, very critical on a small tire car and much easier on the engine as well. Then you have your timing retard boxes, bottle warmers, gauges, etc.....

A real solid setup would set you back $1,500 or more easily,,,,in my case anyway. Thats not real cheap, but it does beat other ways of making power as far as price goes.

My nitrous kit ALONE costs $1200. I spent a little over $2400 for everything, but that's mostly due to the fact that I have a Direct Port system. On my last car I ran a wet system and spen't over $1700. It depends on the system you go with and the quality of components. You can't even buy a quality supercharger kit brand new for under $4000 - $4000 just for the kit! Plus the cost of any fuel and spark accessories you may need, and tuning, etc. Not to mention nitrous is much easier to install versus a supercharger setup. And lets not even talk about Turbo's. Nitrous is definitely cheap power compared to blown setups, no doubt.

And lastly, there are lots of nitrous-powered LS1 cars out there that run very successfully. Things can go bad when not setup properly or stretched past it's capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    My nitrous kit ALONE costs $1200. I spent a little over $2400 for everything, but that's mostly due to the fact that I have a Direct Port system. On my last car I ran a wet system and spen't over $1700. It depends on the system you go with and the quality of components. You can't even buy a quality supercharger kit brand new for under $4000 - $4000 just for the kit! Plus the cost of any fuel and spark accessories you may need, and tuning, etc. Not to mention nitrous is much easier to install versus a supercharger setup. And lets not even talk about Turbo's. Nitrous is definitely cheap power compared to blown setups, no doubt.

And lastly, there are lots of nitrous-powered LS1 cars out there that run very successfully. Things can go bad when not setup properly or stretched past it's capacity.
    Ya I'm aware of all that. Most peoples idea of a cheap power adder or bolt on is around $200-$500. Which is why I said nitrous really doesn't fall into the cheap catagory in my opinion. Although it's cheaper than other power adders, just as you and I mentioned,,nitrous can get pricey to get started, $1,500 and on up is a good chunk of change for most people to plunk down.

I agree though, Blowers and turbos are even more, and the plumbing can be a mess. It's expensive to play for sure, and it isn't getting cheaper,,,lol.

Black
    02 Z28

Wow, this thread has been hijacked by nitrous junkies!!
    Just giving you guys a hard time...whats the biggest shot you would give an LS1 without changing the whole setup (internals) for NOS?
    I'm gonna see where the nitrous thread is and read up.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

O MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! its like a ricer hang out.... stop using the term "nos""Nos" and "NOS"... its a damn brand.......... you see a bunch of NITROUS junkies in here....

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    O MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!! its like a ricer hang out.... stop using the term "nos""Nos" and "NOS"... its a damn brand.......... you see a bunch of NITROUS junkies in here....
    at least they aren't saying "NAAAAWSSS"

Black
    02 Z28

whats that
    just kidding, Is it illegal to have nitrous on a street driven car in California.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    whats that
    just kidding, Is it illegal to have nitrous on a street driven car in California.
    gmhtp had an article about it...it really doesnt mention in its laws anything about nitrous being illegal in cars...just that it is a controlled substance and use of it for abuse is outlawed..but i hear alot of people say as long as the lines up to the engine arent filled then its ok.

There are actually alot of states that have laws about nitrous. More than half,,,,but there is alot of grey area in some of it so it's kinda shady. Even with the grey areas I'm sure they could give you a pretty hard way to go if they want to.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

whats that
    Yeah well Paul Walker is a badass, and he ordered two bottles or nawz that he needs by tonight. Seriously. He may blow the green pop rivets out of his floor pan.
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    Yeah well Paul Walker is a badass, and he ordered two bottles or nawz that he needs by tonight.** Seriously.* He may blow the green pop rivets out of his floor pan.
    lol.. i love when it blows the car up.. makes people think that a nitrous bottle would actually combust..
    whats that just kidding, Is it illegal to have nitrous on a street driven car in California.
    dont know.. but you better hope you odnt get caught in a wreck with it... insurance companies usually will not cover you.. (hearsay!)
    might as well be.. lol

black
    1998 WS6

I think from a dig you will have a chance with just a stall. But don't run him from a kick, I beat on with over 500rwhp with a cam only 99 by about 5 cars from a dig and about a half a car from a kick. They don't get off the line very well. If you spray you will def. beat him and if you go stall and cam with the right combo I think you'll beat him also.

98' trans am

There are actually alot of states that have laws about nitrous. More than half,,,,but there is alot of grey area in some of it so it's kinda shady. Even with the grey areas I'm sure they could give you a pretty hard way to go if they want to.
    i know..but its about inhaling ect. there are barely any if at all that mention use of nitrous for performance in your car...some i also remember is i believe in california if you have nitrous and on the highway you need those stickers for flammable ect.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

you can get a decent n20 kit for 6-700 and if you set it up right it is totally safe
    i have about a $1000 in mine with the kit,fuel safety switch, window switch,and the bottle warmer, i still want and alot of people recommend a controller but my setup is totally safe according to the charts

zex makes a kit for the ls1 that is designed specifically for an ls1 and our fuel system and they claim that it monitors bottle pressure and is not supposed to let your car run lean or rich

i bought the high output zex kit and spray 150 through the stock tune and so far the kit has done all that it claimed and more.something about adding 110hp and 180ft.lbs of torque with a 100 shot made me fall in love

my brother has the same setup on his cobra and my 100 shot would take him with just a cold air kit other than that

now ive done a little more and spraying a 150 he doesnt have a chance

Thread Information