Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 818343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hotride3021 View Post
    hey sarge

now can this be done with 87 octane or does it only with 93 octane?

P.S. it not going into an ls1.
    I asked the same question once before. Sarge said it is not Octane dependent. I run 87 in my LS1 just fine, .

I am assuming you are asking about the TCW3 add to the gas.

yea i was talking about the TCW3

thanks kool-aide

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No it is not octane dependent.....

perfect ill start this in my jeep asap

Silver Birch
    2004 Chevy Silverado

Hey Sarge. I found this thread linked from another forum, and I've been following it for a while. I thought I'd try this out, and let you know how it's going, so I joined this forum so I can comment.

The vehicle in question is a 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L auto, with 3.73 gears. I'm not the original owner, so I can't comment on how it was driven before I got it, but it only has approximately 53,000 miles on it. It's mechanically stock. Around here, regular gas is 89 octane, and "may contain up to 10% ethanol", the sticker on the pump says.

For the past month or so, I've been mixing SuperTech 2-stroke oil from WalMart at the ratio of 30 ml per 19 litres, which comes out to around 633:1. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway, and my gas mileage has pretty much remained consistent at around 14-15 mpg. I haven't seen any improvement in mileage by adding the TC-W3.

I have noticed, however, that the engine is running much more smoothly and quietly, both during idle and acceleration. The exhaust is a little less harsh smelling, too. When I bought the truck, you could tell that it was a V8 during heavy acceleration, but now it's a lot quieter. Because I haven't seen any improvement in gas mileage, that leads me to believe that my engine is a little too new to benefit from the cleaning effects of the TC-W3. It just doesn't have enough crap built up in it needing to be cleaned out.

So I thought I'd try this in my snowblower. It has a 7 hp B&S engine which is so old that the serial number is in the single digits. We haven't had enough snow for me to actually use it, but during my pre-season checks and running a bit of gas with 2-stroke oil in it through, the throttle, which has always been a bit sticky, now moves freely. The engine now starts on the first pull while before it was always a bit of a struggle. I had to adjust the carburetor a bit, but it does seem to have noticeably more power to it when it's running wide open.

if my car use 13 gallon, how many oz do i need to be perfect ? thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

2 1/2 oz's

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    Hey Sarge. I found this thread linked from another forum, and I've been following it for a while. I thought I'd try this out, and let you know how it's going, so I joined this forum so I can comment.

The vehicle in question is a 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L auto, with 3.73 gears. I'm not the original owner, so I can't comment on how it was driven before I got it, but it only has approximately 53,000 miles on it. It's mechanically stock. Around here, regular gas is 89 octane, and "may contain up to 10% ethanol", the sticker on the pump says.

For the past month or so, I've been mixing SuperTech 2-stroke oil from WalMart at the ratio of 30 ml per 19 litres, which comes out to around 633:1. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway, and my gas mileage has pretty much remained consistent at around 14-15 mpg. I haven't seen any improvement in mileage by adding the TC-W3.

I have noticed, however, that the engine is running much more smoothly and quietly, both during idle and acceleration. The exhaust is a little less harsh smelling, too. When I bought the truck, you could tell that it was a V8 during heavy acceleration, but now it's a lot quieter. Because I haven't seen any improvement in gas mileage, that leads me to believe that my engine is a little too new to benefit from the cleaning effects of the TC-W3. It just doesn't have enough crap built up in it needing to be cleaned out.

So I thought I'd try this in my snowblower. It has a 7 hp B&S engine which is so old that the serial number is in the single digits. We haven't had enough snow for me to actually use it, but during my pre-season checks and running a bit of gas with 2-stroke oil in it through, the throttle, which has always been a bit sticky, now moves freely. The engine now starts on the first pull while before it was always a bit of a struggle. I had to adjust the carburetor a bit, but it does seem to have noticeably more power to it when it's running wide open.
    Any MPG comparisons must be done over multiple tankfuls.....good post and thank you for the time to post...all feedback is welcomed.

Silver Birch
    2004 Chevy Silverado

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to mention that I fill up (approx. 60 litres at a time) about once a week, figure out the ratio of Supertech to gas, and just add it in when I get home. So I've gone through, say, 250 litres (about 66 gallons) of gas, all with the additive. Now that we're into the -20 degree weather, it'll be interesting to see what kind of effect that has on this.

I'm going to keep this up and see where it leads. I'm curious to see what will happen next summer when I start towing my 4,000 pound camper around. Highway speeds for 2-3 hours at a time.

Sorry I just find out that my car can take 15.7 gallon of fuel from low mark to full mark, so how many oz do I need to use ? thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by neverl8 View Post
    Sorry I just find out that my car can take 15.7 gallon of fuel from low mark to full mark, so how many oz do I need to use ? thanks
    1 oz. for every 5 gallons. I assume you do not run the car right down to fumes between fill ups, so you'll just have to do the math at the pumps or when you get home. I always go to the next higher number -- for example, if I add 12 gallons of fuel to the tank, I dump in just about 3 ounces of TC-W3.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to mention that I fill up (approx. 60 litres at a time) about once a week, figure out the ratio of Supertech to gas, and just add it in when I get home. So I've gone through, say, 250 litres (about 66 gallons) of gas, all with the additive. Now that we're into the -20 degree weather, it'll be interesting to see what kind of effect that has on this.

I'm going to keep this up and see where it leads. I'm curious to see what will happen next summer when I start towing my 4,000 pound camper around. Highway speeds for 2-3 hours at a time.
    We see a significant drop in mileage as they "change" the fuel mix from summer to winter blends.....is Canada the same way?

Silver Birch
    2004 Chevy Silverado

I guess we are. I started this experiment just as they were switching over. Of course, the oil companies don't advertise the fact that winter gas reduces gas mileage; instead, they hype up the de-icer and additives that they put in it. Most people just attribute the reduced mileage to the cold weather, and don't think about the gas.

I pretty much exclusively use Petro-Canada gas, and they've recently merged with Sunoco.

Grey
    1999 Honda Odyssey

Winter Gas

Sarge,

Don't know if you have any detailed info on winter gas, but if you do, it would be interesting to know exactly what they put in it, and exactly what effect (or detriments) it has on mileage, performance, and engine health.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think Sarge is gonna be out of town but I'm sure he'll get back to this as soon as he gets back.

Silver Birch
    2004 Chevy Silverado

Hmm... my mileage seems to be going down. I'm thinking the recent cold weather has something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Here's some results over the past few tanks. The first one is without TC-W3. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway, using 87 octane. There's been no significant change in my driving habits over the course of these fill-ups.

I've been using a mixture of about 640:1. I've just filled up, so now I'm trying 500:1 and see where that gets me. If there's no improvement, then I'll just go back to using straight pump gas. I'm a bit disappointed, to tell you the truth.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Hmm... my mileage seems to be going down. I'm thinking the recent cold weather has something to do with it, but I'm not sure. Here's some results over the past few tanks. The first one is without TC-W3. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway, using 87 octane. There's been no significant change in my driving habits over the course of these fill-ups.

I've been using a mixture of about 640:1. I've just filled up, so now I'm trying 500:1 and see where that gets me. If there's no improvement, then I'll just go back to using straight pump gas. I'm a bit disappointed, to tell you the truth.

Winter gas mix and longer warm-ups maybe?

Silver Birch
    2004 Chevy Silverado

Yeah, that's what I think it is. I only let it warm up for 20 or 30 seconds, just long enough for the RPMs to drop below 1,000. I've always been taught that the engine warms up faster if it's under load, but don't thrash it while it's cold. But I do think that the cold weather -- it's been -25*C here for about two weeks -- has a lot to do with it. Everything just moves slower when it's that cold. I'm just surprised that the cold weather would have that much of an impact on the mileage. And I religiously check the air pressure in the tires. The truck is parked in an insulated unheated garage at night, but is parked outside when I'm at work. When the temperature is below -15*C, I plug the block heater in.

But if anyone has any info on the pros/cons of winter gas, I'd like to see it. Not that I have any choice; every station around here uses it.

I never believed this increased MPG. There's way too many variables that can affect MPG (temperature, wind, tire pressure, barometric pressure, fuel quality, driving conditions, traffic, rain, etc).

I've mostly considered this a fuel system cleaner, not a lubricator (especially since I don't have carburetors).

Jake

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...the mpg thing is not the core reason for doing this.

Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 818343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread Information