Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 71733343536373839404157 ... LastLast

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Some people make me laugh with there logic. 600:1 ratio of oil will foul a plug. That is probably about the same ratio the LS1 PCV sucks in engine oil.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...two+stroke+oil

96 Dodge Ram 1500 sport

In the Dec. 09 issue of Trailer Boats there is a very good article on gasoline with ethanol and it's detrimental effects on engines and fuel systems.
    Much to long for me to copy and post it.
    We got that shit thanks to the federal clean air act.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

FYI I find that the sweet spot on my car is somewhere between 1:512 (four gallons)and 1:640 (five gallons); but closer to 1:5. This is a very rough estimate and infact my measuring bottle is not very precise either. I think that you can successfully run a very wide range with little difference. I am happy personally if I have it anywhere between about 1:550 and 1:650. I base on the fuel used, add about what I think and as long as I pump enough to get it in this range I am happy. If I am outside the range, I don't worry unless it is much stronger and then I'll just add a couple of gallons when it will fit.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    Some people make me laugh with there logic. 600:1 ratio of oil will foul a plug. That is probably about the same ratio the LS1 PCV sucks in engine oil.

I agree. I have enjoyed reading posts on the other forums. Why would any one think any big corporation would do anything for the little customer. Someone actually feels as if GM would have figured out the TCW3 benefits first. And because they are not making money off of it, then logic must mandate it is false, lol... That's like saying the experts at GM think the stock 7.5 10 bolt is more than plenty for our cars, hah....

I still find it humorous people find it perfectly acceptable to squirt a petroleum based product into their tank without blinking, such as STP, Lucas, SeaFoam, B-12, etc. Ok I am only guessing they are petroleum based, . But the notion of using 2-stroke oil is some kind of end of the world we are all going to die.

I love reading them for the humor, lol...

I like the guy that claims all the scientific data about the fuel, and wetness, dryness, crap stuff... So in his world every pipe, truck and holding tank is perfectly pristine and flawless. Wow, that's all I can say.

Does any one know the make up the most popular Fuel additives vs. the 2-stroke oil? I would be curious to know how different they are or how similar they maybe.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Most fuel additives are mostly kerosene. Nothing to em, placebo effect

Grey
    1999 Honda Odyssey

Can I do the TCW3 treatment along with Redline?

Hi Sarge,

I have some intermittent CEL issues on my 1999 Odyssey. I bought myself a bottle of Redline Fuel System Treatment, and I was going to run it over two tanks fulls of VPower, since I understand it to be a powerful detergent.

Should I run this fuel system treatment first before I start with the TCW3?

Or would TCW3 be compatible with this and could I run both at once?

You did mention that you use Chevron Techron in the thread, but I can’t get it where I am. I can only get Redline. I don’t think you said whether you run the Techron separately or in conjunction with TCW3. Let me know what you think.

BTW, great thread, great info.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post

I spent some time reading it. Incredibly stupid statements made as if they were gospel. You know we are openly experimenting...with thousands of folks.....over a long period of time with all positive results and not any negative results.....so draw your own conclusion....the one moron who speaks about how todays fuel is pristine is a total idiot. Oh well....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
    FYI I find that the sweet spot on my car is somewhere between 1:512 (four gallons)and 1:640 (five gallons); but closer to 1:5. This is a very rough estimate and infact my measuring bottle is not very precise either. I think that you can successfully run a very wide range with little difference. I am happy personally if I have it anywhere between about 1:550 and 1:650. I base on the fuel used, add about what I think and as long as I pump enough to get it in this range I am happy. If I am outside the range, I don't worry unless it is much stronger and then I'll just add a couple of gallons when it will fit.
    I do the same thing.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by chuchu View Post
    Hi Sarge,

I have some intermittent CEL issues on my 1999 Odyssey. I bought myself a bottle of Redline Fuel System Treatment, and I was going to run it over two tanks fulls of VPower, since I understand it to be a powerful detergent.

Should I run this fuel system treatment first before I start with the TCW3?

Or would TCW3 be compatible with this and could I run both at once?

You did mention that you use Chevron Techron in the thread, but I can’t get it where I am. I can only get Redline. I don’t think you said whether you run the Techron separately or in conjunction with TCW3. Let me know what you think.

BTW, great thread, great info.
    What code are you getting?

Do not mix things !!!

I use Red Line before oil change, it has a lubruficant inside as well.

It's good staff !!!!

Grey
    1999 Honda Odyssey

Code is P0420

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    What code are you getting?
    Sarge,

I am getting code P0420 which is Catalytic System below efficiency. Seems to be a common code for Odysseys, since there is a lot of discussion on that code over on the Odyssey forums. It first popped up in mid to late summer, and I had it reset by a Honda mechanic who said the O2 sensor would be the first place to start notwithstanding that the code says catalytic. Then I drove for 3.5 months and 5,500 km without incident, and then the CEL and the same code came up in mid-November.

Well after that, I started to do my homework.

There are a variety of fixes described over on the Odyssey forums, but one poster said that one of the common overlooked fixes (a cheap one I may add) is to pour in 3 bottles of Techron and fill up with Sunoco Ultra Premium. I am at the end of my first tank of Sunoco Ultra Premium (no CEL at this point). Now I want to try both Redline and/or TCW3. Techron not available where I am. In doing my homework, I just learned about Top Tier Gas. All this time I have been running Esso regular. Stupid me, I just did not know about the difference in detergency. For this you can reach out in cyberspace and give me a shot in the head. I am finally smartening up. It may not have mattered for years, but as the vehicle is now over 10 years old with 218,000 km on it, with all the accumulated build up inside the engine, it probably does matter.

So for the next fill up, I want to run Shell VPower (there is some talk on local forums that it may not contain ethanol - at least the pump label is quiet on whether it has ethanol). I also will run at least half a bottle of Redline, and then I want to also incorporate TCW3, whether it be this tankful or for future tank fulls.

Not to get off topic, but take a look at the reviews over on Amazon for Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner. The first reviewer talks about excellent results by adding just one once per 15 gallons. It would be interesting to "test" to see if using both small amounts of a polyether amines (PEA) product and TCW3 would produce even better results. Maybe food for thought.

Anyways, my immediate concern is to clean up my engine by using Top Tier premium gas, Redline, and TCW3. The vehicle will be 11 years old in March, and I want to bring it gracefully to the end of its lifecycle (with me at least) without having to deal with a CEL issue.

All the best,

Richard

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Our '98 Durango has been throwing "catalytic inefficiency" codes from time to time for the past 2-3 years. As there has been no change in driveability or mileage, I generally ignore it. The problem is definitely fuel sensitive -- gassing up around home generally results in a check engine light. When we travel, I have gone over 1,200 miles without the light coming back on once we get some other fuel in the tank.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mephy View Post
    Do not mix things !!!

It's good staff !!!!
    DO NOT MIX THINGS.... like Meth, Alcohol, and Mary J, or you will end up like this guy....

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    DO NOT MIX THINGS.... like Meth, Alcohol, and Mary J, or you will end up like this guy....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mephy View Post
    Do not mix things !!!

It's good staff !!!!
    Many good cleaners out there...Amsoil being the top and RedLine right there....here is my issue with them...they are extremely caustic. Repeated use clearly shows gaskets, silicon parts being eaten away. Hell RedLine even warns you about it.....I prefer the long term cleaning effects without all the "scorched earth" cleaning of these intrusive cleaners.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Well I started putting the oil in my lawn mower first. The lawn mower is only 4 years old. After a few mowings (prob 16 hours) I noticed easier starts and a very smoother idle. And it runs smoother at cutting speed. The motor even sounds different. Dont know how to explain it but it sounds like it is running a lot better. Seems to get more yard mowed before needing filling up, but that may be as it gets later in the year the grass is easier to cut. I have been very impressed with the improvments.

After getting good results on the lawn mower, I started putting it in my DD ('89 GMC, stock). Before I put it in I pulled the number one spark plug. Looked at it, the point on the plug was clean but it did have some oil on the edges of it, and I took pics. I also put a cup of water on top of the motor and took a video with the truck running, to see how much it was shaking at idle. After 2,000 miles I pulled the number one plug again. It looks the same. Did the cup of water test and it is idleing smoother. The truck seems to start the same.
    I forgot to mention when I posted this a while back, but I can no longer hear my fuel pump. Before the TC-W3 treatment, when I would start my truck I would turn the key to "ON" and listen to the fuel pump. After it quit priming I would start the truck. I can no longer hear my fuel pump.

Grey
    1999 Honda Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Many good cleaners out there...Amsoil being the top and RedLine right there....here is my issue with them...they are extremely caustic. Repeated use clearly shows gaskets, silicon parts being eaten away. Hell RedLine even warns you about it.....I prefer the long term cleaning effects without all the "scorched earth" cleaning of these intrusive cleaners.

Good comments and advice. I will not mix anything. I will run the bottle of Redline I bought over 2 fill ups of VPower (already started this process today), and I will then move to the gentler, longer term solution of TCW3. When I have meaningful results, I will report back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chuchu View Post
    Good comments and advice. I will not mix anything. I will run the bottle of Redline I bought over 2 fill ups of VPower (already started this process today), and I will then move to the gentler, longer term solution of TCW3. When I have meaningful results, I will report back.
    are you still on your original cats on that thing? 218km =135k miles. You're well past their life expectancy if they're the stock cats. As a matter of fact you're past the life expectancy of the O2's also. You evidently do a pretty good job on maintenance to begin with if you're getting that kinda mileage out of a vehicle although it's a honda and known to last longer than most.

Grey
    1999 Honda Odyssey

Yes, still the orignal Cat, and original O2 sensor

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    are you still on your original cats on that thing? 218km =135k miles. You're well past their life expectancy if they're the stock cats. As a matter of fact you're past the life expectancy of the O2's also. You evidently do a pretty good job on maintenance to begin with if you're getting that kinda mileage out of a vehicle although it's a honda and known to last longer than most.
    Yes, original cat on the vehicle. When the CEL first came on in late summer, I took the vehicle to the 3rd party Honda Mechanic (not the dealer) who changed my timing belt. This guy is active in local Accord groups and forums, and knows his stuff. Anyways, according to him the O2 sensors are the first place to start, not the cat (all this notwithstanding it was a cat code). Over on the Odyssey forums there was one unfortunate story of someone with a P0420 code who changed the cat based on the dealer advice, paid $1,100 and then a few months later the CEL came on again. Another person reported that the dealer gave them a quote for a cat change but could not “guaranty” that the light would not come on again. I don’t need to deal with shit like that with a vehicle of this age. I might as well advance my disposal point rather than confront those issues. So what I want to start with is the cheap, easy method first, and see if that works or not.

As far as overall lifetime maintenance on this vehicle, there has been relatively little. Platinum plugs changed once. Transmission flushed once and Magnefine filter added. Timing belt and water pump changed once. Front brakes changed twice, rear brakes changed once, minor front steering parts changed during the brake job. Power steering fluid changed with the turkey baster method. Plus the usual oil and air filter changes. That’s it, nothing else. Just getting some minor annoyances at this point in its life such as rear brake squeal which requires periodic greasing and a failed drivers door actuator for the power locks. After running several cars to the end of their useful life, I have to tell you that, hands down, this (made in Canada) Honda has been the most reliable and trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I have gained a lot of respect for Honda engineering by owning and running this vehicle for over 10 years. In my book, quality is judged not by all the bullshit reviews and opinions you can read about, but is judged simply by whether you can run a vehicle on a “relatively” trouble free basis for 10 years or more (with no major or expensive repairs). If you can do that, or if you luck into that, then as far as I am concerned, that is “quality”. Having said all of that, the only thing that could drive me away from Honda is the fact that they have consistently refused to deal with the road noise issue in this and other of their cars (inadequate sound insulation). This is quite noticeable as you go on long road trips. As I get older, I have less tolerance for that crap and want something quieter and a bit more lux.

Anyways, I have already bought my first liter of TCW3 at Wal-Mart, as well as a cheap squeeze bottle, and will start with those applications once I flush the Redline out of my system over 2 tankfuls.

hey sarge

now can this be done with 87 octane or does it only with 93 octane?

P.S. it not going into an ls1.

Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 71733343536373839404157 ... LastLast

Thread Information