Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

haha ok u have a point there. So i higher stall is more efficient? im just wondering if im sitting at a light and i ease into the gas is the car is gonna stay still untill i hit 3500 rpms then suddenly launch forward,roughly cuz i dont want that to happen, i dont want to lose low end driveability

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Do this- if ur worried about low end power, put everything in w/o the stall. Then once you tune it, you can see how it drives and the power curve. If you want to then get the stall.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

well thats what i was thinking but i want to know if not having the stall will be bad for my tranny at all?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

A stall is basically like a launch controll button, kind of what the 4wd cars have (STI's, Evo's etc...)

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

yea thats why i dont want one, i dont want that much strain on my transmission from a stand still

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    haha ok u have a point there. So i higher stall is more efficient? im just wondering if im sitting at a light and i ease into the gas is the car is gonna stay still untill i hit 3500 rpms then suddenly launch forward,roughly cuz i dont want that to happen, i dont want to lose low end driveability
    It will take a bit more throttle to get the car moving. But it allows you to get into your powerband alot sooner.

Everyone thinks the same way, including me. But once you drive a stalled car. Your going wish you went higher. I started with 3200. Then moved up to a 3600.

Yes, anything under about 40 mph will suffer a bit, till it locks up. But its one of the best mods for an A4.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

But do I really need that high of a stall if I'm not racing it? What would be the disadvantages of not having one? Not being able to launch my car like a rocket? And that's it?

Black

But do I really need that high of a stall if I'm not racing it? What would be the disadvantages of not having one? Not being able to launch my car like a rocket? And that's it?
    You don't need one. But haven't you notice when you get on it, it will kinda bog off the line till the rpm's get higher?

Or when it shifts, the rpm's drop so low it also bogs? The stall will cure all that.

Drive one if you can, its night and day.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Well I have noticed that around 4000 rpms it really picks up in power but to be honest I always thought the low end off the line was good. I dunno maybe its just personal preference

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

And is like to drive on but no near me has an ls1 with a stall,Hell or even an ls1 for that matter

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Well I have noticed that around 4000 rpms it really picks up in power but to be honest I always thought the low end off the line was good. I dunno maybe its just personal preference
    that is more powerband related ........but very close...imagine being able to punch it from any speed and getting that same pickup 4k+ that is why we recommend 3600+ stalls ...for that reason...why would you want to flash to 1800 or 2800 when you then need to climb 2-1300rpm to get into the meet.

most aftermarket cams will be more mid to top end liking...so they will make their big numbers 4k-6400...so in turn you want your engine up there as fast and long as possible.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Well that makes sense but that's the reason I want the sc. Power on demand without making it a racecar. One can still cruise with but at the same time be a highway star. But back to my original question, if I forge my piston and rods can I run 10# of boost if I'm not racing the car at the track every weekend

98' trans am

Well that makes sense but that's the reason I want the sc. Power on demand without making it a racecar. One can still cruise with but at the same time be a highway star. But back to my original question, if I forge my piston and rods can I run 10# of boost if I'm not racing the car at the track every weekend
    if you forge you can run 10# ..but again it really comes down to tuning ..get a good tune/tuner that will work with ya ..

Black

Boost is related to RPM, so you won't have much boost down low.
    Actually a stall should be one of your first mods.

If you forge the internals and have the correct fuel system. Your engine can take alot more thatn 10# boost. Just remember, tuning is key.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

A stall wont affect your driving down low too too much. Like mentioned above, it will put you in the meat of your powerband a lot faster. Why do you want all your power up top? Thats the kind of gearing only a track only car will have. How often are you going to be taking your DD up to those speeds, just to utilize the power?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    A stall wont affect your driving down low too too much. Like mentioned above, it will put you in the meat of your powerband a lot faster. Why do you want all your power up top? Thats the kind of gearing only a track only car will have. How often are you going to be taking your DD up to those speeds, just to utilize the power?
    x2 stop and go driving at 5k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ed -

How much could one expect to spend on forged connecting rods/pistons and the installation of them?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Boost is related to RPM, so you won't have much boost down low.
    Actually a stall should be one of your first mods.

If you forge the internals and have the correct fuel system. Your engine can take alot more thatn 10# boost. Just remember, tuning is key.
    Exactly. Generally speaking the higher your rev, the more boost you will make. A stall wont do anything to your down low power. It will just put you into your sweet spot A LOT FASTER. There is no point in having to crawl off the line, hit your sweet spot, then have the RPM's drop down again and start all over. Hell if I was throwing that kind of money into my DD, I would want power from idle untill redline. (But thats just me I guess)

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

4k stall is great, but I think you'd rather have a 3600 if you are going to procharger route.

Black

Yep. With more power, you don't need as much stall.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information