Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    I wasn't arguiing the fact that he should buy snap-on or mac. If u actually read the post's your have read that I was arguing the statement that "a wrench is a wrench" and "a chrome socket is a chrome socket"............
    Look, a 1/4" or 3/8" chrome socket from sears is the same as a chrome socket from snapon. When you start getting into IMPACT socket's, it changes. Craftsman wrench's are just shorter. Sure, you cant go to sears and buy a 2 inch wrench. But go to a flea market or Harbor Freight. All my IMPACT sockets are Armstrong (matco just so you know) or IR. IR sells the same damn IMPACT socket grade as any bullshit Snap on for half the price. Price them out, IR is WAY cheaper and makes a damn good IMPACT socket. Matco sells Armstrong impact sockets. Huh, I went and bought my 3/4 drive impact Armstrong online for a 1/3 of the price. If you think for a second buying off those trucks what you can get online is a deal.... then your ignorant. Those trucks mark there prices up 25 %. There are the same grade/quality tools out there that dont have to say Snap On or Matco. Some people just dont try to research before they buy.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Let face it. Working on the car you might use 3 sizes of sockets, most of the will never be used. Also allen set,not used, I didnt see a torque(star) fitting on that. If it was it will not fit the seats. Multi meter to check voltage. Snap on is alright, they will take it out of your check or you can buy on time. They come to the shop and they are not mechanics, they are salesman.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

where i work now we are provided with tools,and we use armstrong hand tools. i can say from experience i have been using armstrong tools for the last 4 years every work day their 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets SUCK BALLS no problems with sockets though.we had armstrong ratchet wrenchs too and they were so weak they had to replaced with craftsman ratchet wrenches.all tools are not created equal.

None

I have all Craftsman... only busted two tools in 2o yrs!
    Sears/Kmart replaced both for free.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    i will go as far as to say that craftsman ratchets fuckin suck though. They are imprecise as hell and the teeth inside arent fine enough and they break. A week and the seal for ratchet head is leaking. Fuck craftsman ratchets. I love my snap on ratchets. my 3/8 snap on ratchet is over 25 yrs old and works like its brand new. I've gone through at least 5 or 6 craftsman 3/8s in 7 yrs

I fucking hate Craftsman ratchets. But I use em b/c I can't afford snap ons.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

harbor freight fans?? anywhere

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Kobalt

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

harbor freight is a good place to get a deal on tools,but i have bought some things there that wasn't worth a crap,a set of picks to be specific they broke quickly and i replaced with snap-on,problem fixed.if you are a do it yourselfer harbor freight is great,not so much for pro techs.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Craftsman

No "Great Neck" or Anything that says "CHINA" on it.

They strip shit like no other.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

the way i look at it is as long as the job gets done, who cares what kind of tools you use.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

My tools consist of Kobalt, GM Goodwrench, Craftsman and Black & Decker. I like all of those brands. I don't like using cheaper brand tools anymore, I got tired of sockets stripping crap and ratchets that couldn't get the job done. I have a Husky and Proto torque wrench, I like both of them as well. Its been suggested several times already, but buying tools in a bulk 200 piece set or whatever the amount is a good way to get your tools built up in an economical way while still getting good quality.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Well I now have mostly Matco, of course. IMO if the tools are not being used day in and day out, craftsman is perfect for the hobbie mechanic. They just don't seem to hold up as well as the Matco, Snap On brands in the professional use application.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    That better be a top of the line gun. No off name crap, Ide hate to see it jam on you.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    harbor freight fans?? anywhere
    harbor freight??? you mean tools for fools

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Do it yourselfers dont need mac and snap on tools unless they wanna spend the money. But anybody that tells me that a craftsman open end wrench is as good as the premium brands has never had to do alignments before on tie rod nuts that are tight as fuck or a multitude of other things. Craftsman wrenches last and have a good warranty but they also strip and round shit off too. For professional auto techs theres reason to buy the premium shit.

But for murder, go to either sears or www.harborfreight.com
    The blue tip wrench a crafstmen 22 is good for alignments

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    Craftsman

No "Great Neck" or Anything that says "CHINA" on it.

They strip shit like no other.
    You do know that Craftsman was made in Japan for a couple years I believe back in the 80's, or early 90's. We had a guy bring in a rusty wrench that had Craftsman and Japan stamped on it. We were all like, "what the f*ck". We checked the internet, and sure enough, some stuff was made in Japan.
    Last edited by tpilews; 04-14-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Buy a decent set. But there is certainly no reason to spend $150 on a set of five snap-on wrenchs. If you buy craftsman and brake one you can just go to sears to get it replaced for free. Snap-on youll have to find a time when your local dealer can meet with you to replace it, and thats a hassel unless you work at a garage and he comes in every tuesday morning anyway.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If your just doing basic maintence a simple set from sears will do the trick and when they break you just take them back in for a return.
    Just a tid bit, Snap-on, Stanley, Craftsman, all made by the same company, The only difference is theres a cool guy that drives a cool truck that says snap-on and comes to your place of business.
    All have the same quality, if you use your tools like there suppose to be used they will last a good long while, Ie a screw driver to remove screws and not used as a pry bar..
    Iv been working on cars and trucks for years, even in combat, iv got tools from every company you can imagine and they all perform about The same.
    Just my 02
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i know mac and stanley are made by the same company(saw some stanley tools on the mac truck one day and asked wtf)but not all guys on the truck are "cool" when i lived in florida the mac man would only show up on payday...the 10th and 25th of every month.

Thread Information