Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Dude seriously, dont build this engine up. You are SO much better off either just buying another ls1 engine and building that one up or putting a bigger/better engine and puttiing it in your car. But if it were me, id put a 408 in it. Its not really that much. Do a final check of cats and all sensors, if its still dynoing low, scrap it.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    mustang dynos dyno lower than all other dynos
    I know this.
    But 230RWHP low??

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    any of you experts ever think that he might of been dynoed on a mustang dyno?
    mustang dynos dyno lower than all other dynos
    70-80 less than he should have? i doubt the type of dyno makes near that amount of difference. i don't really know much about it but am sure itsnot that much.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Around 290-300 would be about right on a mustang dyno, you are still a little low though.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

i found out today that the dyno used in my car is a low horsepower dyno and its true horsepower is alot higher .Couldnt be happier.The car feels sick fast so i know it has more power.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

What is the point of a dyno that reads hp that low? That's just dumb. I would let everyone around your area know not to go to them. The whole point of going to a dyno is to check your true hp, not some low-ball number.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Dude seriously, dont build this engine up. You are SO much better off either just buying another ls1 engine and building that one up or putting a bigger/better engine and puttiing it in your car. But if it were me, id put a 408 in it. Its not really that much. Do a final check of cats and all sensors, if its still dynoing low, scrap it.
    Why would he spend several thousands on another LS1 - when he already has one? If the low number is actually the case, there has to be a problem lying around somewhere...most likely fuel or spark related, or worse case scenario an internal problem. Either way, it would make more sense to fix what he already has. After all, he did mention before that it made 310rwhp on another dyno pull. My honest guess would be the guys at Vette Doctors are pulling his leg in order to fab tune gains.

If I were him I would take it somewhere else to have it dyno'd again to confirm if those low numbers are actually true.

red
    1998 trans am

i put down 232 on a mustang dyno and 282 on a dynojet, the same day completely stock a4 with 72000 miles when my 98 t/a was stockd

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ls1bitches View Post
    i put down 232 on a mustang dyno and 282 on a dynojet, the same day completely stock a4 with 72000 miles when my 98 t/a was stockd
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1bitches View Post
    i put down 232 on a mustang dyno and 282 on a dynojet, the same day completely stock a4 with 72000 miles when my 98 t/a was stock
    ...I'm seeing double...

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

If it was a mustang dyno, I think you're just fine. Especially if your car is an auto. Dynos are not a tool to tell you your true HP. HP is only a means to an end. Mustang dynos may "low-ball" by comparison to Dynojets, but they also load the rollers so you can more accurately tune a vehicle, and that, IMO, is the point to dynoing your car.

I care about performance so that my car can get down the strip a little more quickly, not to brag with a peice of paper.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    What is the point of a dyno that reads hp that low? That's just dumb. I would let everyone around your area know not to go to them. The whole point of going to a dyno is to check your true hp, not some low-ball number.
    Well big numbers are what everyone wants to see but it's not really the point of a dyno tuning session.

The dyno is used for tuning whether the numbers are low or high it doesn't really matter. You can make a dyno say anything you want it to say.

As long as the same dyno/correction factor/operator is used each time you make a change you get accurate results. Thats the bottom line, and thats what you want so you know you are heading in the right direction with the car.

I can give you examples all day long with low dyno numbered cars, but the tune is sharp and the cars put up 10 and 11 second timeslips at the track,,,,,,where it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    If it was a mustang dyno, I think you're just fine. Especially if your car is an auto. Dynos are not a tool to tell you your true HP. HP is only a means to an end. Mustang dynos may "low-ball" by comparison to Dynojets, but they also load the rollers so you can more accurately tune a vehicle, and that, IMO, is the point to dynoing your car.

I care about performance so that my car can get down the strip a little more quickly, not to brag with a peice of paper.

Chris
    There ya go Chris, I didn't see you post this,,,you are right on the money.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

My car with a vig3600 and 4.11 gears with LT headers did 285rwhp. It ran a 12.62 @109 in fair weather. Same setup with TSP 231/237 and back to stock 3.23 gears dyno'd 354rwhp and has done a best of 12.5 in the hot summer weather.

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    Holy COW!!!

ever thought of the possibility that they were fudging the system a bit, to make "their" custom tune appear to give you 54 HP. Makes them look like Gods, you go and tell all your friends and they get tunes as well. Perpetuation is the key to good business. And you just perpetuated for them.
    Vett doctors is one of the best places to get your ls1 tuned, never heard a bad thing about them except for being snobby

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    My car with a vig3600 and 4.11 gears with LT headers did 285rwhp. It ran a 12.62 @109 in fair weather. Same setup with TSP 231/237 and back to stock 3.23 gears dyno'd 354rwhp and has done a best of 12.5 in the hot summer weather.
    Wow, so the extra 70rwhp didnt really do much?

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

I never said anything bad about the vette drs they treated me awesome. GREAT people and i would surely bring my car back.By the way my car feels like a 12 secound car it is completely different after bringing it back from the vette drs.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    Vett doctors is one of the best places to get your ls1 tuned, never heard a bad thing about them except for being snobby
    Every shop has a horror story or two. No shop is perfect.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1_385hp_T/A View Post
    Wow, so the extra 70rwhp didnt really do much?
    I haven't ran it in any cooler weather with the current tune. Putting the 3.23 back in slowed it down some too. I didn't want to push my luck any further shifting into OD anymore. I'm porting some 241 heads and want to see what improvements they will give at the track. Right now, I'm going through the traps at about 5700-5800 rpm in 3rd on the bottle (124mph). I'd like to have it going through the traps between 6300-6400 rpm (130+)with my current setup.

99 pontiac trans am

that's too low ????????? something is wrong

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Every shop has a horror story or two. No shop is perfect.
    not saying that, but i HIGHLY doubt they would fuck with his numbers to make themselves look better, they have a GREAT reputation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information