Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I'm sure there is... I'm not too discouraged about the mpg's yet... the engine hasn't broken in yet, and I have had a case of heavy foot lately. Plus the cold starts and letting the truck warm up aren't helping matters much.

I'll see how she does down the road.

blue
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's not entirely true either, it depends on which SS we are talking about. Since we seem to be concentrating on the nova line I'll talk about that.
    You are correct that Nova SS's from 63-67 could have had any number of engines and it was a trim level package for the most part. But you started seeing changes in 65 when the 12 bolt started appearing.
    In 65 you could order a number of higher HP 327's. Starting with the 300HP engine, if you also ordered a 4 speed you automatically got the 12 bolt rear. A power glide was still available behind the 300hp engine, and that powerglide seems to be the deciding factor as it's noted by most collector/restorers that those cars didn't get the 12 bolt.
    66 was much of the same with various 327's available including 250 and 300hp variants and these also got 12 bolts if the 4 speed was specified, but what gets interesting as it's the first year the L79 was available. They were all 4 speeds and they all got 12 bolts. This engine could be had in base model, sedan or hardtop, or the SS model. This carried on to the 67 model year.
    68 is when the changes occured for the Nova. The SS became it's own performance model rather than a trim level package. You got a ton of standard equipment with the 68, not just all the SS badging, but a special simulated grilled hood, black out grill, the standard engine was the 350/300hp engine with either a 3 speed automatic or a 4 speed manual. They all got 12 bolt rearends regardless of transmission choice. You also got heavy duty suspension as part of the SS.
    This was also the last year of the chevy II nameplate and the introduction of the front subframe assembly. There were only 2 optional engines for the SS this year, the 350HP 396 or the 375hp 396.
    69 and 70 things stayed the same, base 350/300hp for the SS, 12 bolt standard SS equipment as well as heavy duty suspension and a pair of 396's optional. You would now see multi leaf springs as standard affair as well as power front disc brakes as standard SS equipment.
    71 changed as big blocks were no longer offered in the nova. The base SS engine was the 350/270 hp. Compression dropped so the HP dropped from the original 300 hp ratings. Both the auto and 4 speed still available and this is the last year of the 12 bolt being standard in the SS nova. Still got multi leaf springs and power front disc brakes.
    72 was unchanged from 71 with the only difference being the rearend. The 12 bolt was gone and the 8.5" 10 bolt became the standard rearend. SS's still got multi leaf springs however, lower performance models (non SS) got mono leafs.
    There are tricks to telling a true SS nova as these seemed to be cloned about as much as anything else now. The serial number I had mentioned already, the 12 bolt rears are a giveaway as well as the multi leafs. The disc brakes starting in 69 is another giveaway. All the SS's starting in 68 would have a 3/8 fuel line as they were all 4 barrels. If you see a little 5/16 line, that throws a big red flag. 68's also got their own specific SS dash pad with an emblem that was integrated into the vinyl, a one year only deal and very hard to find. I could go on and on and probably bore you with details if I haven't already
    This SS model package is completely different however when you get into chevelles and camaro's, as the SS package was a performance model starting in 66 for chevelles and of course has always been a performance package for camaro's since it was born in 1967. Wasn't just a trim package, far from it. I only briefly explained this in my first post.
    Performance engines were standard in the SS but were an extra cost option in anything other than an SS. I broke it all down for you above in the Nova line, as they differed slightly from the camaro, chevelle and impala, probably leans more towards your thinking early on in Nova production. Hope that helps.
    No one ever said that you couldn't get all kinds of performce stuff with the SS. it was just stated that the original ss option didn't automatically give the performance engines. And I wasn't talking about Nova's specificaly it just happened that those were the 2 cars I have seen in person and know of that I could use for an example. I agree 100% that later on it was a performance option that gave hotter motor's but that wasn't always the case. Any way its not that big of a deal so back on topic.
    Wow 10.5 mpg how spirited is your driving and what are the 6.2 rated for?

Quote Originally Posted by IHSS View Post
    No one ever said that you couldn't get all kinds of performce stuff with the SS. it was just stated that the original ss option didn't automatically give the performance engines. And I wasn't talking about Nova's specificaly it just happened that those were the 2 cars I have seen in person and know of that I could use for an example. I agree 100% that later on it was a performance option that gave hotter motor's but that wasn't always the case. Any way its not that big of a deal so back on topic.
    Wow 10.5 mpg how spirited is your driving and what are the 6.2 rated for?
    I stated all that in my very first post, not sure why you keep going back to that.
    I was only telling you the other bigger performance engines were another upgrade over the base performance engine that the SS already provided. Everyone seems shady on the whole SS ordeal, so I spelled it all out for everyone in the Nova line. That's just simply how it was.

blue
    2000 SS

I stated all that in my very first post, not sure why you keep going back to that.
    I was only telling you the other bigger performance engines were another upgrade over the base performance engine that the SS already provided. Everyone seems shady on the whole SS ordeal, so I spelled it all out for everyone in the Nova line. That's just simply how it was.
    Well I'm trying to not high jack this thread or start a battle . But you stated that " back then you got an engine package above the rest". 5.0 This replied that originally it had little to do with the motor and was gauges center console and trim. Then you replied " had every thing to do with the drive train" which is why I threw my 2 cents in about the 2 nova's not having anything special as far as the drivetrain goes to shed some light on the subject and back up 5.0 This. Originally it didn't have every thing to do with the drive train thats all I was saying, not talking about any specific car model just the SS designation in general.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Take it to pm's or create your own thread!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Quote Originally Posted by IHSS View Post
    Originally it didn't have every thing to do with the drive train thats all I was saying, not talking about any specific car model just the SS designation in general.
    I'm okay with that, we just need to be clear about the SS models. Saying a blatent statement that SS's didn't include any certain engine isn't entirely true so I broke it all down for you and everyone else...I felt that really needed to be explained.
    I don't like to see or pass along false information. The internet has enough of that already.
    I'd also hate to see someone purchase a classic collector car not knowing exactly what they have only to find out they've been taken. There is alot of that going on, clones are everywhere. Ya have to do your homework.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Anyway: I'm at 17+k on my 2011 Silverado crew 6.2/3.73/4x4 on 33s and I average 13.5 in town (I'm no granny) and I can do 17 on the freeway for a long trip. I am tuned with an Airaid MIT, drop-in synthetic filter, a glasspack and a leveling kit on the offroad rubber and that's my fuel mileage. I ran an S197 GT 4.6 as it sits and lost by a fender to 70. Beat a factory 5.7 Tundra twice. I would have no problem taking an SS prior to the mods and my truck is way more useful than those trucks, with the ability to drive it through anything I've pointed it at thus far, to include some pretty aggressive off-roading. I like the GMT800 SS trucks, but the 900 6.2 trucks surpass them in every metric. A new SS truck would be pretty sweet but they would definitely need to prioritize performance if they ever go that route again. A regular-cab would be nice as an option.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    A regular-cab would be nice as an option.
    I want an RCSB with the 6.2/ 6 spd, 373s and SLT/LTZ trim. Stupid GM

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Anyway: I'm at 17+k on my 2011 Silverado crew 6.2/3.73/4x4 on 33s and I average 13.5 in town (I'm no granny) and I can do 17 on the freeway for a long trip. I am tuned with an Airaid MIT, drop-in synthetic filter, a glasspack and a leveling kit on the offroad rubber and that's my fuel mileage. I ran an S197 GT 4.6 as it sits and lost by a fender to 70. Beat a factory 5.7 Tundra twice. I would have no problem taking an SS prior to the mods and my truck is way more useful than those trucks,
    You need to take it too the track for giggles. That's where I'm taking mine in a couple weeks. I ran around a couple of 5.7 hemi trucks while still sportin 3.07 gears. I just installed 3.73's. I want to get a real number out of it and see where it stands.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Congrats on the new ride, but I can't see me trading.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
    Congrats on the new ride, but I can't see me trading.
    I couldn't either at that time... but a lot came into play that helped me make my decision. I'm definitely happy with the new truck, but I do have to look at my old truck sitting on our used car lot every day... that part sucks!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Ran my first tank of E85..... 10mpg with about a 50/50 highway/city split.

Had no choice this time but to put in regular, because I wouldn't have made it to the nearest e85 gas station!

Holy cow!!!! My 650 hp chevelle with 4.10's and no overdrive gets 10 mpg

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Holy cow!!!! My 650 hp chevelle with 4.10's and no overdrive gets 10 mpg
    I sometimes drive like an Ahole though... I haven't even really broken the motor in though, I have just over 1200 miles on her.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Wow, 10 MPG... And to think I was bitchin' about the 12.5-13 the SSS gets.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Wow, 10 MPG... And to think I was bitchin' about the 12.5-13 the SSS gets.
    I'm right there right now with regular... Just spend $92 filling up with it.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Yeouch... Sounds like a fill up in mine. I just drove it 1798 miles on vaca, I don't even want to do the math.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Yeouch... Sounds like a fill up in mine. I just drove it 1798 miles on vaca, I don't even want to do the math.

I don't blame ya!!

And the prices haven't stopped yet. $4.19 a gallon here now and climbing.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information