Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

4L80E is stronger than a 60 -- good choice. If you go with anything higher than stock stall speed on your converter, make sure you run an auxillary transmission cooler.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I do appreciate the info. Maybe I had better calm down on the cam choice and stay with the stock converter. I know that having a trans cooler is or should be automatic, and I will get it on; thanks Jeff!
    Another question about the 4L80E; if I am using the same ECU that came with the truck, (GMC 2500 with the LQ4 and that trans), will I still need a separate trans controller?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Steve (Tuned by Frost) can answer that question for you. However, it is my understanding that the PCM should work just fine with that transmission. Stock, an LS engine will be a terror in your car. Even a 5.3 is a beast and makes all kinds of power -- I have a 5.3 in our Suburban and use it to tow our enclosed race trailer up and down the hills of northcentral PA. You'll appreciate having an overdrive trans as compared to a TH350 or TH400, especially if you are using the 14" rims your car probably came with originally. As long as you do not add a high stall converter to the mix, any decent radiator with a built in transmission cooler circuit should work fine.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, it is definite, I am trading the guy the Turbo 1327cc Kawasaki engine, (just the balance on the bill), for his 4L80E. He called today and said he has an Allison trans that came out of a 2500HD; I told him that was mainly for the high 600 pd/ft torque that the diesel puts out and for the dramatic towing capacity of that truck, and no, it is not for me. I did say he could probably get 2x 4L80E's for that one trans though!
    He had that trans out and it's too cold here on the other coast to work; the 4L80E is still in the truck- we have snow down to 2500 ft! It was 35' when I got up today. Yeah, yeah, we are a bunch of "wusses" out here; spoiled in the Cali summers!
    I will get more pics when I get then tranny.(not the Hollywood kind either!)
    Raymond

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Thanks for the added info; I am going to write up a wish list and sent it to Steve; I had mentioned it to him in the other email about the mail order tune. I will have to ask him about that "TCM" deal too.
    I was looking and I cannot find anyone with a flat top 10 to 1 compression piston for the LQ4 pressed pin application; (.944" wrist pin). Anyone hear of anything close, hit me with an email, PLEASE! If I cannot get anything close, I will probable have to get some aftermarket Scat rods at 6.125" and use the Wossner Pro forged LS piston with the 9.27" pins; (same as the Gen 1 pin sizes, and they make some beautiful pistons that are in some of the fastest Hayabusa's in the states!).
    I am really not paying attention! I do not remember what size my Buick wheels are!
    I also just thought about the hood clearance with the truck intake? I wonder? Well, I guess I will find out soon!
    Back to bed, it's 12:33 am! Raymond out!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

If the frame is still good you can do almost anything you want. I would go with the Wildcat 445 with a TH400 and the good ol 12 bolt. Keep it looking stock but put a killer sound system in it. Go with disc brakes on all four corners, A/C and power everything so it will be a joy to drive anywhere. Good luck with the project.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Hi Keith, thanks for the encouragement! I will try and get all the comfort features I can, and I think the company name for the A/C was Vintage Air! HAHA! (I already looked, hoping that I can get this done.)

BTW, how is your Frost tune with the ported TB? Was it much of a difference from the stock TB??

Raymond

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Wow! I found out that with all these piston companies, there is no flat top 4" piston for the "pressed pin" rods; so, I found a really good performance piston company here in Huntington Beach, Ca. by the name of Wossner. The pistons are of very high quality and are already skirt coated, with valve reliefs for much larger valves and great additional clearance. They gave me a great deal on pistons and gave me a discount on the Scat "I" beam rods with them. And do they look good too! 7/16th ARP rod bolts and all!

I also got a great deal on an opened stock head set for the 4" LQ4 off of EBay as well. I got the shop closed, and just need to get the Buick home and I will be able to start! YAY!!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any pics of the new slugs and connectors?

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Talking

I took the pistons and rods home, but I will get the pictures this week! I also got a set of brand new LS3/ L92 heads for a good price, right at $735.00 shipped. I have to get a picture of them as well!

I am so excited, I think I just had an anxiety attack! If you guys like the Wossner's, and they are awesome!, I believe I can get you a really great price as well. Ask for John Noonan, (a crazy 250 mph Turbo Hayabusa rider!), or Alex. They are both great and if you use my name, I think they will give you a discount too!

So now, I need the bearings, clean the block, and all the re-usable parts, then have them insert cam bearings, hone to match the .005" oversize pistons, polish the crank, etc., etc., etc.

I guess it's time to get the Special home, start cleaning the inside and out, get the fluids changed and decent tires to roll it around, and get it started so I can video it running and sell the little V8! Then bodywork, good wheels and tires, have the rear end all set up with a positraction unit, and some sitting around looking at the toy to try and get an idea of what the heck I got myself in to! Oh my God! I am proud to say I am absolutely nuts! (they say if you admit it, they will think you're okay. That's funny. Me, sane? HA!
    Last edited by RayzS10; 03-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like you have caught the restoration bug... big time.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Hey Jeff,
    I am sorry to admit it but I got the bug! While I admit that having a newer car is neat, I miss the car of my adolescence, a 1968 Camaro w/ a 4-speed L-79 396/ 375h.p. aluminum head big block. Even when stock, the car idled very rough and was a blast to drive with the F70x15 black wall tires and how they would just "lite up" when you punched it in second.
    The car was eventually was a 2x 660 center squirter carb, tunnel ram, 427, 2nd design L-88 bottom end w/ LS7 cast iron heads. Man, the open chamber L-88 engine had the larger cam at .560x .580 cam and 12-1 compression and must have had "big" duration, because THAT cam really idled neat!
    BTW, the Camaro only had a heater and an AM radio, no console, and no power brakes! Thank God it had power steering! Anyways, wish me luck! I will need it!!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any pics of the '68? Sounds like she was a beast!

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

I do have a "Polaroid" of it at Eagle Rock High School here in N/W L.A. ..... the picture shows the girl I was trying to get to get in the car for the after school cruise. Funny thing about that car; I never knew that the body was twisting that much but the left rear quarter kept bending. Get it straightened out, and it would do it again! No hood of course, cause I wanted to show it off. Let me see if I can scan it and send it here!

What would be better would be the picture of my old 1934 Ford with the Chevy 327/ 325 h.p., Muncie 4 speed, and the 8.8" Ford rear end. It was the original brown main body, with black fenders; full fenders too. After getting the car together, every time I tried to power shift that car, the stock "suicide door" on my side would open and the first time it did it, scared the bejesus out of me! I ended tying the door up with small rope and getting in and out of the passenger door till I got it fixed a couple of months later. Talk about a "girl getter"! Man, I wish my ex, Shelley, would give me back all the pictures of it! Actually, I wish the guy I sold it to would sell it back to me! Oh well, sh*t happens I guess.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like you have had some seriously cool rides.

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, I think it is because I am so old! Back in 1968 to 1980 I was working at Don's Auto Repair in Highland Park, a little sub of LA, and in that time, I had 11 Camaro's, 1 Porsche, the 34 Ford, a 76 Chevy Van conversion, (all furnished like a house inside and Chevy insignia side windows!), a 1958 Corvette topless drag car with a 482 c.i. big block with a turbo 400 and a modified Vega torgue converter, (never got the car dailed in as the race tracks started closing around SoCal and the cage was NOT NHRA approved!! and could not race at their tracks.), and a 1964 GTO w/ a 396 and 4 spd.

I crashed the GTO, (totaled), bought and sold 9 of those Camaro's for profit as they needed engine work, and the Porsche got sold after body repair, paint,and my wedding, the van got crashed when a friend drove it back from Vegas, and the hot rod Camaro, I took it apart, sold it with a 325h.p. 396 and a stock 4-speed hoping to get the L-88 in to a 64 Nova I never got. I sold the 34 Ford for a good profit, but really regretted selling it. Finally had to move when they sold the house I was renting and had to sell the L-88 to someone in the town next to us for CHEAP!

Yeah I know, I'm an idiot for getting rid of the '34! Of course, the Camaro was real fun too. I know the 34 was not real quick, as it only went 13's but the Camaro was the killer on the street- when it was still street legal, I went to the track and with a change to slicks and uncorked, went a best of 10:92 at 130 mph and this was back in 1972!! I used to be really dumb and street race it and seemed to never lose. Damn I hated getting tickets! Thanks to Blairs Speed Shop, Rex Carson Dyno tuning, and my brother, as he fixed about 7 or 8 transmission's for me!

Now I want the Buick to bring back some memories for me; or at least give me that big time pull when you hit it! I think it's been over 30 years since I have done anything like that, so I hope I still remember some basic speed secrets; and of course, try and get some help with all the new electronics that I know NOTHING about!

Wow! I had better shut up and get back to work. Thanks for letting me rant! I will get those pics up soon!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Those are some awesome sounding rides.

My problem is that we never sell any of our cars... we just keep adding places to park them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like a terrible problem to have.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I need counseling...

silver
    1998 S-10 Truck

Well, I finally got the car home; after fixing the S-10 trans and selling it, closing the motorcycle shop and now I just lost my job.... after 15 years.... okay, just another obstacle to overcome I guess.
    Now the concern is for stability in the family abode; it might be a while before I get to do anything. Sorry to say it might be quite a while. Wish me luck you guys, I think I need it now! At least I have Jeff's new toy to stare at!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information