Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 72324252627282930314757 ... LastLast

Laser Blue Metallic
    2006 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Awesome work Sarge, and very interesting, I’m going to give it a try. But I’m going to opt to use Amsoil HP Injector Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil rather than the P… Pen… Penz… Sorry, I just can’t bring myself to say that word, LOL. Anyway, the Amsoil is a NMMA TC-W3, API TC. I'll just order up a quart or two on my next order.

Click for full size

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hpi.aspx?zo=1606470

One quick question though. In all your testing, what have you found as the best, most convenient, and less messy way to measure or pre-measure the one or two ounce mixes? Just thinking it would be great if there were a liquid tight 2oz bottle one could utilize for convenience at the pump.
    hmmm.. was checking this out on the amsoil site, then cross-checked with the nmma.org site list of their approved/certified oils... http://nmma.org/certification/progra...asp?y=TCW32008

and Amsoil isn't listed at all, anywhere in the list... wonder why?? is it REALLY certified/approved???? interesting...

was happy to see the pennzoil multipurpose stuff I got yesterday was on the list tho :-) even tho it's not a synthetic... which is what I would really like to use, which was why I was looking into the amsoil... heh...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    06MonteSS
    2006 Monte Carlo SS -- CAI, Poly mounts, STB's,
    Flowmaster Super 40's, Custom DiabLew Tune!
    Email: 06MonteSS@diablewtune.com

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    hmmm.. was checking this out on the amsoil site, then cross-checked with the nmma.org site list of their approved/certified oils... http://nmma.org/certification/progra...asp?y=TCW32008

and Amsoil isn't listed at all, anywhere in the list... wonder why?? is it REALLY certified/approved???? interesting...

was happy to see the pennzoil multipurpose stuff I got yesterday was on the list tho :-) even tho it's not a synthetic... which is what I would really like to use, which was why I was looking into the amsoil... heh...

It doesn't matter what brand guys. TC-W3 rated /approved is what you are after. Bobby Sues TC-W3 or Nectar of the Gods TC-W3 doesn't matter.

Laser Blue Metallic
    2006 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    It doesn't matter what brand guys. TC-W3 rated /approved is what you are after. Bobby Sues TC-W3 or Nectar of the Gods TC-W3 doesn't matter.
    right... BUT... if the Amsoil isn't really tc-w3 certified, then that makes a big difference... THAT was my point...

Amsoil is NOT on the nmma.org list of certified/approved TC-W3 oils...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I get your point. All I am saying is get a TC-W3 2stroke oil. Regardless of brand. We are saying the same thing.
    Now with that said I don't get my BVD's in a wad over certifications. Be they API or whomever. I look at the specs of the lube. Certification is just another way for organizations to make money. I'll have a look at this Amsoil oil and report.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well it (Amsoil HP Injector oil) meets TC-W3 (actually exceeds it)....has superior add packs.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsoil
    It contains up to 30 percent more additives than other TC-W3 two-cycle oils for “super clean” operation. And because AMSOIL synthetic oils are more durable, they are perfect for lean mixture operations. In addition, this AMSOIL exclusive product produces low smoke and odor and has low aquatic toxicity properties, making it ideal for boats.
    So yeah it is not on the list.....but Amsoil does claim it is certified...but I am like you I cannot find it on the 2008 list. And I repeat the 2008 list. So maybe I will inquire
    But the bottom line I would use the Amsoil with no hesitation.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well it (Amsoil HP Injector oil) meets TC-W3 (actually exceeds it)....has superior add packs.....
    Think the superior add packs are worth the extra price for the situation we are using it in? I don't mind paying more far a better product. And Amsoil has proven its self time after time.

Psst. . . CompSyn can I get a "Cuupon" *best Ron White voice* for that?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well we really haven't "documented" any positives or negatives amongst the various brands of TC-W3 oils out there. One would assume more detergency is a good thing but I could not say definitively one way or the other.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My customers don't complain when we use AMSoil instead of the recommended Castrol or Mobil1. Surprises me when they tell my boss they have heard high praises regarding AMSoil.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sarge -- using the oil as recommended, is there still a need to occasionally run a fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sarge -- using the oil as recommended, is there still a need to occasionally run a fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron?
    Good question. I wanna know too. I used Techron in my previous car but not in the GTO.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I run either Shell/Chevron-Texaco gas almost exclusively. Top Tier gas needs less "cleaning"....the 2 stroke oil does clean and treat (moisture/corrosives)....however I use Techron 2wice a year myself.
    Top Tier Gasoline Retailers:

Chevron
    Conoco
    Entec Stations
    Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
    MFA Oil Company
    Phillips
    QuikTrip
    Shell
    Somerset Refinery
    Texaco
    Tri-Par Oil Company

Canada:
    Petro-Canada
    Shell-Canada
    Sunoco-Canada
    Chevron-Canada

Hawaii:
    Aloha Petroleum

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OK. I see no mention of BP or Hess. I use:

Hess
    BP
    Shell
    Sunoco

So then I should use Techron. Remember, I haven't used Techron since I bought my GTO. Should I use the Techron anyway?

green
    98 formula

Ok I have been thinking. (I know its a bad idea)
    What about using E-85 with the 2-stroke oil, like as in a race car with E-85 compatable fuel system? Now the flames can commence.

Post To license or not to license

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post

That’s good question. Let me see if I can help answer that.

In the lubricants industry we see a full array of third party entities which help to standardize and shape the market. These third parties organize and develop standards and specifications they feel manufacturers should adhere to. They also offer Licensing/Certification to a manufacturer which is generally very costly.

For the most part this is usually a good thing for consumers in making sure the products they buy are within grade and specification. However, these specifications that are set in place to protect the consumer can also be a hindrance in technological advances towards a better performing product.

For the sake of conversation, I’m going to pick the third party entity, American Petroleum Institute (API) rather than National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA).

Most anyone who has ever purchased motor oil for their car has probably noticed the API Donut and Starburst on the label of the oil bottle, e.g.

Let’s take a quick look at some motor oils which ARE currently API Licensed.

- Amsoil XL Extended Life 10W-30 Synthetic
    - Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus 10W-30
    - Royal Purple 10W-30 High Performance

Now let’s take a look at some motor oils which are NOT API Licensed.

- Amsoil 100% Synthetic High Performance 10W-30
    - Schaeffer Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-30
    - Royal Purple 5W-30 XPR Extreme Performance & Racing oil
    - Red Line Synthetic Oil (Nothing Red Line makes is API Licensed)

So what’s the point?

The point is there are many examples of non-licensed oils performing as well as, or in many cases better than the licensed stuff. So when you see the words “meets” or “exceed” specs on a bottle of motor oil, the chances are that manufacture has done the home work and knows how to meet or exceed the specs listed.

In the case of Amsoil, Inc., they had the first fully API qualified 100% synthetic motor oil in 1972 before API had motor oil licensing. And as noted above, Amsoil currently makes their XL line which is API licensed. Basically, Amsoil knows what goes into achieving API specs even if the end product is not going to be licensed. So why would they go through the trouble of meeting or exceeding the specs and then not licensing it? Amsoil explains this better than I can. Click HERE to read the full explanation.

Alright, so after all that, back to the question of Amsoil HP Injector TC-W3 2-cycle oil not being NMMA certified. It’s not NMMA certified, but it does meet or exceed the specs. Actually Amsoil claims it has “up to 30 percent more additives than other TC-W3 two-cycle oils for “super clean” operation” so it may very well be that it exceeds the specs, which is the story I’m sticking to.

CompSyn

Smile PM

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Think the superior add packs are worth the extra price for the situation we are using it in? I don't mind paying more far a better product. And Amsoil has proven its self time after time.

Psst. . . CompSyn can I get a "Cuupon" *best Ron White voice* for that?
    Sending a PM your way...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Rear seems better with the AMSoil than it did when I bought my car. Maybe it's me. I dunno.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    OK. I see no mention of BP or Hess. I use:

Hess
    BP
    Shell
    Sunoco

So then I should use Techron. Remember, I haven't used Techron since I bought my GTO. Should I use the Techron anyway?
    Sure.....just do it prior to an oil change. Some of it always gets pass the ring pack and into your oil....I prefer it not slosh around in the oil for too long

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    Ok I have been thinking. (I know its a bad idea)
    What about using E-85 with the 2-stroke oil, like as in a race car with E-85 compatable fuel system? Now the flames can commence.
    Use it with any of the approved gasoline/ethanol mix percentages 0%-10%-85%. The TC-W3 benefits across the board....especially with high grain alcohol content.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    That’s good question. Let me see if I can help answer that.

In the lubricants industry we see a full array of third party entities which help to standardize and shape the market. These third parties organize and develop standards and specifications they feel manufacturers should adhere to. They also offer Licensing/Certification to a manufacturer which is generally very costly.

For the most part this is usually a good thing for consumers in making sure the products they buy are within grade and specification. However, these specifications that are set in place to protect the consumer can also be a hindrance in technological advances towards a better performing product.

For the sake of conversation, I’m going to pick the third party entity, American Petroleum Institute (API) rather than National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA).

Most anyone who has ever purchased motor oil for their car has probably noticed the API Donut and Starburst on the label of the oil bottle, e.g.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Let’s take a quick look at some motor oils which ARE currently API Licensed.

- Amsoil XL Extended Life 10W-30 Synthetic
    - Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus 10W-30
    - Royal Purple 10W-30 High Performance

Now let’s take a look at some motor oils which are NOT API Licensed.

- Amsoil 100% Synthetic High Performance 10W-30
    - Schaeffer Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic 5W-30
    - Royal Purple 5W-30 XPR Extreme Performance & Racing oil
    - Red Line Synthetic Oil (Nothing Red Line makes is API Licensed)

So what’s the point?

The point is there are many examples of non-licensed oils performing as well as, or in many cases better than the licensed stuff. So when you see the words “meets” or “exceed” specs on a bottle of motor oil, the chances are that manufacture has done the home work and knows how to meet or exceed the specs listed.

In the case of Amsoil, Inc., they had the first fully API qualified 100% synthetic motor oil in 1972 before API had motor oil licensing. And as noted above, Amsoil currently makes their XL line which is API licensed. Basically, Amsoil knows what goes into achieving API specs even if the end product is not going to be licensed. So why would they go through the trouble of meeting or exceeding the specs and then not licensing it? Amsoil explains this better than I can. Click HERE to read the full explanation.

Alright, so after all that, back to the question of Amsoil HP Injector TC-W3 2-cycle oil not being NMMA certified. It’s not NMMA certified, but it does meet or exceed the specs. Actually Amsoil claims it has “up to 30 percent more additives than other TC-W3 two-cycle oils for “super clean” operation” so it may very well be that it exceeds the specs, which is the story I’m sticking to.

CompSyn
    Yup...like I said previously....I do not get caught up in "licensing" at all.

Well I give to the forum my experience.

I started with Lucas then a passed to standard TC-W3 and yesterday I put for the first time HP Injector.

Lucas the worst.

Standard TC-W3 good.

Hp Injector the Best.

Why the best ?

I straight away noticed the car is more quite, in the acceleration the engine does different noise, more gloomy.

I think this is because the Viscosity index is better, the oil hold better the high temperature, and because the ratio is very low this is crucial.

I use around 700:1 ratio at moment maybe I will improve the dose and see if there are benefits.
    Last edited by mephy; 06-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 72324252627282930314757 ... LastLast

Thread Information