Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STS Turbo

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Understand on leaving well enough alone. Son went the Methonal kit instead of a nitrous set up with it. Stock internals on the engine. Think it's a better deal on protecting the engine with boost. He still has the stock rear end in it gearing. Have you done a compression check on it yet? Oil pressure up there ok? Dave

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    Hi, Understand on leaving well enough alone. Son went the Methonal kit instead of a nitrous set up with it. Stock internals on the engine. Think it's a better deal on protecting the engine with boost. He still has the stock rear end in it gearing. Have you done a compression check on it yet? Oil pressure up there ok? Dave
    No compression check yet, but the previous owner said he did one and all was fine. Oil pressures fine He even bought a methanol kit for it, just never installed it. I'm still unsure if he ran the nitrous and turbo. I know he ran the nitrous before the turbo, just not sure if it was at the same time. I doubt it though. Its all stock except for LS6 intake and a small turbo cam. I thought the numbers where damn impressive for the what it is. I'm really not worried since he included a new 383 for it as well (was gonna run it and the turbo and get around 1000rwhp). I've only put around 30 miles on it since I got it a few months back. It probably won't see 20 more miles before the engine comes out.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

STS Turbo

I don't personally own one, but I've seen people post great track times with the STS.

I myself however would not buy one.

Besides all the problem stories I hear, I personally would not feel comfortable driving in the rain with an intake right behind my rear wheel.

Take a look at the pick of Thunder Racing's STS Camaro,

http://www.thunderracing.com/project...n=read&pgid=92

With the intake positioned where it is, the rear wheel is going to send water flying up right into the intake.

I'd like to hear from any STS owners out there on this issue. Have you ever had this problem?

grey
    03 silverado

Its just my opinion, but I had an STS kit and never worked right at all. I took it to Owen of A.R.D. and he said that the turbo setup was crap and would never run right even after he tuned it, so we pulled it out to spray it. But thats my opinion, not to say that they are all bad but I guess it would have to come down to who built it, installed and tuned it.

Hope the info helps.

01 M6 SS Turbo

I have had mine on the car for about 10k miles now and I can tell you the only thing about the kit that has bothered me are the silicone couplers that come with it. They are really soft so when you tromp on it the 90 degree elbow collapses every now and again. Other that that It works well enough for a daily driver.
    The filter is not an issue. Sure if you drive through a lake it will suck in alittle water and vapor will hit the maf and cause the car to seizure a bit at more than part throttle, but other kits could do that too. As long as you clean the filter often as any bored car guy would I can't imagine you would not like the kit. And the installation was like walking the mile... Took a day and was not stressful at all. Not to mention I still have a/c!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

my 98 ss with 62,000 put down 294hp 312tq stock. On the very same mustang dyno with my STS kit installed, at 5psi it put down 398hp and 433tq. That is with the upgraded turbo and cats removed. Racetronix fuel system with 60lb injectors. My kit is the new style with charger air cooler, and with the air filter in fender well so it alittle more protected from water. I don't drive the car in the rain anyways so i am not concerned. i installed the kit myself, with the help of my brother who is a mechanic. Installation was not to bad, everything went together smoothly except the stupid cat bypass pipes which was the only troublesome thing. Since it was so late in the summer when i got it installed i had little time to play with the car on high boost. I initially had it tuned for only 5psi for a month or so before i got time to finish getting it tuned for high boost. at 12lbs it made 493 hp and 546tq on the same dyno, spraying methanol. that is on completely stock motor and drive train. honestly the car was insane to drive on low boost and just absolutely uncontrollable on high boost. so i am keeping it on low boost until i get a new rear end and some stickys. Problems so far: an exhaust leak and the EGR getting blow open above 5psi. both were easy fixes though. Since i have the bigger turbo (in anticipations on a built motor in the near future) there is a little boost lag in 1st (M6 with 3.42) until 3500rpm than it's at full boost, in 2nd and up there is absolutely no boost lag. I was actually surprised myself the first time driving that there was no lag. My buddy with a stroked and supercharged mustang didn't believe me that there was no boost lag until he rode in it. My tuner was truly impressed with the kit and its performance and said "This was the easiest 500 rwhp setup i ever seen and tuned" It Makes the car a blast to drive, and it sounds sweet. A car with over 400hp on the street has unusable power i quickly found out. As the average person myself, I would recommend this kit to the average person who just wants a fun street car that they occasional take to the strip, it's a straight forward install with good results. Now if your looking for something to make gobs of power that can only be used at the strip well you might want to check out your other options. Some say STS sucks and they may be right, but in my personal experience so far the STS kit made my car one bad ass car that's a blast to drive. I never rode in a LS1 car equipped with an APS turbo or any kind supercharger so I have nothing to compare too. I do recommend having a speed density tune, and removing the MAF, because during tuning it was raining and very humid and had problems with water condensing on the MAF. after the speed density tune no more problems and made the rest of the tuning process way simpler and quicker. I would still buy an STS kit again, as so far been happy with its performance. Everyone has their own opinions and past experiences and I just wanted to share mine.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ajs9185 View Post
    my 98 ss with 62,000 put down 294hp 312tq stock. On the very same mustang dyno with my STS kit installed, at 5psi it put down 398hp and 433tq. That is with the upgraded turbo and cats removed. Racetronix fuel system with 60lb injectors. My kit is the new style with charger air cooler, and with the air filter in fender well so it alittle more protected from water. I don't drive the car in the rain anyways so i am not concerned. i installed the kit myself, with the help of my brother who is a mechanic. Installation was not to bad, everything went together smoothly except the stupid cat bypass pipes which was the only troublesome thing. Since it was so late in the summer when i got it installed i had little time to play with the car on high boost. I initially had it tuned for only 5psi for a month or so before i got time to finish getting it tuned for high boost. at 12lbs it made 493 hp and 546tq on the same dyno, spraying methanol. that is on completely stock motor and drive train. honestly the car was insane to drive on low boost and just absolutely uncontrollable on high boost. so i am keeping it on low boost until i get a new rear end and some stickys. Problems so far: an exhaust leak and the EGR getting blow open above 5psi. both were easy fixes though. Since i have the bigger turbo (in anticipations on a built motor in the near future) there is a little boost lag in 1st (M6 with 3.42) until 3500rpm than it's at full boost, in 2nd and up there is absolutely no boost lag. I was actually surprised myself the first time driving that there was no lag. My buddy with a stroked and supercharged mustang didn't believe me that there was no boost lag until he rode in it. My tuner was truly impressed with the kit and its performance and said "This was the easiest 500 rwhp setup i ever seen and tuned" It Makes the car a blast to drive, and it sounds sweet. A car with over 400hp on the street has unusable power i quickly found out. As the average person myself, I would recommend this kit to the average person who just wants a fun street car that they occasional take to the strip, it's a straight forward install with good results. Now if your looking for something to make gobs of power that can only be used at the strip well you might want to check out your other options. Some say STS sucks and they may be right, but in my personal experience so far the STS kit made my car one bad ass car that's a blast to drive. I never rode in a LS1 car equipped with an APS turbo or any kind supercharger so I have nothing to compare too. I do recommend having a speed density tune, and removing the MAF, because during tuning it was raining and very humid and had problems with water condensing on the MAF. after the speed density tune no more problems and made the rest of the tuning process way simpler and quicker. I would still buy an STS kit again, as so far been happy with its performance. Everyone has their own opinions and past experiences and I just wanted to share mine.
    Thats pretty good numbers. Main differences between our setup is mines still running a MAF, T76 upgraded turbo (wouldn't really make much difference on a stock motor I don't think), LS6 intake, valve springs, and a baby cam (no meth or intercooler) and I'm only on 5lbs making 500 at the wheels. You can't even tell it has a cam to be honest. I would recommend doing some small stuff like wrapping the exhaust (helps with spool), upgrade to T-bolt clamps and better silicon couplers, as well as a Mocal pump.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Guys,from what I have seen the sts kits are pretty good,I think most of the problems people have had with them are ,,well say user problems,it does take a good understanding of the happenings of how and what the kit does,i beleive most people who bought one of those kits had it installed or maybe they did it themselfs,then you have the most important aspect of the tuning,this in itself is one of the most important aspects of the install,look at it this way anything with a computer has to be right.I have learned from the bottom up,as i built my own TT kit similar to the sts,i have been around cars my whole life,grew up in the muscle car era my GTO has the stock shortblock,cam,intake etc,stock rear end 346 gears and has went 134mph 1/4 mile with my setup.problemns i have had most keeping the power from breaking the trans,then again i have some power levels most dont see and maybe dont want in a street car,best thing is car is completely drivable and have seen mpg.from 26-33 out on the highways other then when u nail it car seems mundane.bottom line turbos work,anything worth doing takes work and knowhow,live learn go faster.if a shop cant get it right ask around,hell i took mine to two so called profesional tuners they both could not get mine right,so i bought HP tuners and a 20yr old freind of mine tuned the car,no dyno, street tuning car,well lets just say #1 spot in ohio cant be all wrong with a kit I made myself.I have had prochargers ,nitrous,turbos are by far the best way to go,by the time a person does heads cam and all the other mods,might as well do it right the first time.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

I have seen at least eight corvettes that installed an STS system. After two years all those cars except ONE no longer have that turbo system on their car. They just don't seem to hold up very well and leaks are a real nightmare. There are "kits" out there that are much better made in my humble opinion. When looking at turbos cutting corners is not a wise thing to do.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAVETTE View Post
    I have seen at least eight corvettes that installed an STS system. After two years all those cars except ONE no longer have that turbo system on their car. They just don't seem to hold up very well and leaks are a real nightmare. There are "kits" out there that are much better made in my humble opinion. When looking at turbos cutting corners is not a wise thing to do.
    Honestly, the twin turbo kit on the Vettes isn't the best, by FAR. There shouldn't be any leaks what so ever if every things done right. A Mocal pump and a better check valve will cure almost any problem with the oiling system.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I still havent seen any problems except maybe installer errors.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAVETTE View Post
    I agree about the way that sts had them setup leaks were a norm,i think if they have put the vband clamps inline like some of us turbo guys use,then it would make it a lot more user freindly,the first kit i built was crude used factory gaskets at the mid pipes,didnt take me long to figure out that it needed to be addressed a diffrent way,so i spent the cash and bought the better clamps,thus elimating the leaks.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Update on lack of boost on his car. Split rubber at the MAF. I think it's a sore spot on what STS has in the kit. He's had another one before split under pressure. ( At least I showed him how to find a leak he couldn't see. He's thinking it's an intake manifold gasket leak. Or an exaust leak to the turbo. ) I took the hose off the output on the turbo. Use a hair dryer to shove the noze of it into it. Turn it on Hi to get air flow thru the tube. Then tape a small rubber hose to a long wire letting the end stick out past the rods end. I used a gas metal rod that I use to gas weld with the torch. Put the other end of the hose in your ear. Probe around & when you get to the leak, you'll plainly hear it. Next step I'm thinking is to get another blue hose & install it. Wrap thin galvinized steel around it & clamp it down. The rubber won't buldge out as much to let it tear again. Anyone with better thoughts? Dave

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by locodave View Post
    Hi, Update on lack of boost on his car. Split rubber at the MAF. I think it's a sore spot on what STS has in the kit. He's had another one before split under pressure. ( At least I showed him how to find a leak he couldn't see. He's thinking it's an intake manifold gasket leak. Or an exaust leak to the turbo. ) I took the hose off the output on the turbo. Use a hair dryer to shove the noze of it into it. Turn it on Hi to get air flow thru the tube. Then tape a small rubber hose to a long wire letting the end stick out past the rods end. I used a gas metal rod that I use to gas weld with the torch. Put the other end of the hose in your ear. Probe around & when you get to the leak, you'll plainly hear it. Next step I'm thinking is to get another blue hose & install it. Wrap thin galvinized steel around it & clamp it down. The rubber won't buldge out as much to let it tear again. Anyone with better thoughts? Dave
    Simple fix really...Don't get the STS garbage replacement, and by them from Silconeintakes.com and replace EVERY worm clamp with T-bolt clamps. Usually there ~$10 a piece from the big turbo websites, which adds up very quick, but at the website above, there only about ~$3.00 a piece...

black
    2001 Trans Am

To add, qwkgto said it all. You have to understand the whole system. Helping my son on all the have to do's was a learning curve for me. More air flow needed larger injectors & need a bigger pump, don't forget the upgraded wireing to it, getting the tune right on changing the stock ECM's settings. Understanding fuel trim and timing advance. On wrapping headers. All I've read on it, if you do. Your going to be replacing them sooner than you think on rusted out. Ceramic internal coating is in my humble opinion is the best route to go on headers. Meth injection helps you to not self-destruct. The 90 bend before the intake does get drawn in as I have watched it do this. Thinking of adding a stiff wire coiled inside to help. Kinda like the ones that are inside coolant hoses to keep them from collapsing. Dave

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Thanks Squee. I found it by adding an I. I'll show that to him. Or maybe I won't. Lol. Price went up a bit, but if a quality part. Worth it. Christmas presents? Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 12-08-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I have a few ideas have someone tig in a vband clamp,replace that jank ass rubber air inlet line they send you with the kit with some aluminum and they also have the vbands in alunimun,have all the connections welded, where you need to get them apart again v band them ,the less rubber/silicon you have on it the better.rubber /silicon on any section bigger then 3 inches with boost or an air inlet is not good, look at it this way would you breath through a hose that would draw shut.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Simple fix really...Don't get the STS garbage replacement, and by them from Silconeintakes.com and replace EVERY worm clamp with T-bolt clamps. Usually there ~$10 a piece from the big turbo websites, which adds up very quick, but at the website above, there only about ~$3.00 a piece...
    you can buy them on ebay also in a bulk deal ,i have a garage full of them but have also found best to tig most of it together us v band and forget it way less problems,made mine work way better,sucks going down the road making 15 psi and it letting loose scared the bjeebiees outta me the first time it happened.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

heres a few shots of my setup,can even see it when the cars on the ground and the heat is mostly at the rear of the car.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

God ur GTO looks aggressive as hell.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information