Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
    Sorry about forgetting that link. Here it is. Do a search on strut tower braces and Camaros come up also, so that is why I called it a strut brace. Fair enough if they mis-state what the cars actually have, and I do not mind being corrected.

How to Tune and Modify Your Camaro, 1982-1998 - Jason Scott - Google Books
    Pictured is a 3rd gen....which does have struts. 4th's do not. Problem is the acronym is the same:

STB - Strut Tower Brace
    STB - Shock Tower Brace

Add laziness thanks to all the internet mechanics out there and you understand the confusion - not referring to you specifically, but trust me they're out there.

Note UMI's listing...4th and 3rd gen respectively.

1993 - 2002 GM F-Body Shock Tower Brace [2005] - $67.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

1987 - 1992 GM F-Body Adjustable Strut Tower Brace [2008] - $169.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Not trying to sway you either way, just merely suggesting it really isnt a significant value add to the suspension of 4th gen's. Do what you want, but your money is better spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by xssv; 12-30-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1248a.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	25589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5756_1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	25588Fair enough. I have a pretty nice car with 57,000km on it and want to keep the ride like new. Chances are the amount of hard cornering I will be doing may not require one of these...that is fine with me. I appreciate your input. I am not going to spend a lot on upgrades. I am presently planning what will probably be the cheapest and lowest restriction catback exhaust someone can make for my car. Will post that when I get it done. That and an underdrive pulley and I will be done for now. Just grabbing some extra HP the simplest ways I know how.

Sebring Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I have both UMI and Edelbrock stuff on my car. Everything Edelbrock had to be sanded and repainted due to rusting under whatever they finish it with. Get UMI stuff!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    Actually I am happy with how the car corners except that I am going to put in urethane sway bar mounts. My main concern is that I do not wear out the car with any hard cornering....if that is not an issue then I would not even bother doing it. I may be running tires with extra grip and driving hard at times. My concerns were raised by page 23 of the link below. Even though the car in question is older than mine I figured the same principles applied so I was thinking of getting a strut brace....further input is welcome.
    No link....and what are you afraid of that will "wear out"?

Assuming the car in question is a true strut car, there are benefits (though minimal) in a strut brace. Note however, 4th GEN FBODIES DO NOT HAVE STRUTS.....just sayin. You want to stiffen the chassis....weld in SFCs. You want to handle better....fat sway bars AND good shocks/springs (Koni, Bilstein, Strano, BMR, etc)
    D
    This. A lot of people think they do have struts. Nope. They have 4 shocks.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Bright Red
    2000 Trans Am

I sent you an email yesterday, did you get it? I have been reading online everything from 3 point is the way to go for least deflection to it is not worth doing at all. I sort of like to think it is better to be safe than sorry if you intend to do some hard cornering....The point that a 3 point may disrupt the windshield is well taken, will have to see if I can find any instances of that happening. Thanks guys.
    Sent you a PM reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

2000 Trans Am T56 Swapped - GMPP "HOT" Cam | LS6 Intake | PnP TB | 25% UD Pulley | Founders adjustable LCA/PHB/TA | Norris Catch Can | TSP 1-7/8 SS LT | TSP True Duals with bullets | SLP Lid | UMI Shock tower brace | Torq Thrust M 17x9 275/40 front 17x10.5 315/35 rear - YouTube Videos - My Car Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information