Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Oh and BTW the last owner of my car did this and i thought the speakers were blown pulled the covers off and seen it was a coaxial unhooked the tweeters and it sounded ten times better, the tweeters were popping!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Yes, it's a 4 way coaxial running off of the factory Monsoon system. Obviously the mids don't work because they are cut out by the Monsoon, but the bass is much deeper and louder with considerably less distortion. Evidently the Pioneer has a much better frequency range than the stock speaker did. It sounds great. Like I said, I left the origional in the other side, only replacing the blown one to compare the sounds of the two, and cranked it up. I changed the other factory one out when I was sure the pioneers were what I wanted. Much better. Now when I crank it up, the mids distort but the bass does not. I'm going to replace the other speakers over the next several weeks.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

If your tweeters were popping, there was a problem with your signal from the Monsoon. No mids should come through the sail panels unless someone has changed the deck or amp somehow.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Sending just a low frequency signal to tweeters and the turning it up will cause distortion because most coaxial crossovers are 6db so its not the best in the world. trust me there is only low signal going to the sail panels.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

That's exactly what I'm saying. The factory Monsoon system should not send midrange signals to the sails. Therefore, the mids of a good coaxial speaker do nothing. Just the woofer puts out sound. The ones I put in are 4 ways, but while hooked through the stock Monsoon system, only the woofer is being used.

There is absolutely no sound coming from the mids or highs in the speakers I put in, just the woofer. If someone had mids or highs getting sound hooked up in the sail panels on a stock Monsoon system, there was evidently a problem. Either they used cheap or underrated speakers, or the Monsoon system was not functioning properly.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

ok dude ok theres no talking to you I guess. 6db cross......never mind. It sound fine now thats all that matters.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

No man, it does sound fine, and I get what you're saying. These are 260w peak and 50w RMS speakers though. I don't think the factory system puts out enough power to blow these things. If they were rated 20 or 30w rms I could see clipping the mids/highs or putting in a crossover. Even cranked to where the other speakers are badly distorted, these things still sound great and do not distort.

I'll be replacing the other speakers over the next couple weeks, and then the deck and amp are gone after Christmas. I don't want to clip the mids because I'll want to use them after the new deck, amp and crossover. I'll cap them off when the subs go in.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I understand what both of you are saying..jag is saying it sounds better than before, but the stock speakers suck so anything would sound better and dave is saying the crossovers on the coaxial speakers isn't low enough to produce the bass it should have since the stock monsoon amp is already crossed over and a coaxial is setup for mids and not the lows like you want the sailpanel subs to produce. It probably sounds ok, but I wouldn't suggest most people doing this unless it is temporary like jag is doing. I seen you are later adding another amp, so that will solve that problem. I am running the 62.7i Infinity kappas in the sailpanel and they sound great. I like the monsoon amp now and it is plenty loud and clear with the 62.7i's. Since they are setup like a component it is simple and the highs I took from the hatch speakers. I have a Camaro, so is easy, I haven't tried them on a T/A with the dual inputs, but I heard you only use one set of wires.

tan
    2000 Camaro

Does anyone know if the 4" speakers in the rear are powered by the amp or the headunit? I always thought they were powered by the HU since they are 4ohm speakers and the rest are 2ohm. Can anyone clarify?

2002 Z28

I hear from some that they are powered from the amp. I was always told they were powered off the HU and the tweeters in the front door were too. When I added a new HU, I noticed the highs were alot louder and brings me to believe they are powered off the HU and not the Monsoon amp, I think they run through the amp from the hu, but are not powered off it or they would have made all the speakers 2 ohm in the cars.

tan
    2000 Camaro

I noticed the same thing you did. When i replaced my HU the rear 4" speakers seemed to get higher and brighter as a result. They actually sound half way decent.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Were you guys able to add a new HU with the Monsoon amp? And if so, is there an adapter or did you just wire it in manually?

tan
    2000 Camaro

Sure, just go up to ur local audio shop. Get the GM wiring harness.

2002 Z28

Is a simple wire harness(around $10). If you want to keep steering wheel controls you need a pac swi-x..oh, and a antenna adaptor to connect the antenna.. If you have a Alpine and some other headunits, pac makes a swi-alp to connect to plug into the back for steering wheel controls. Not all install kits are the same, some stick out and some are flush. I had the one that holds a single cd below the hu and didn't like it, the flush kit by metra is much nicer looking.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I'd like to find a deck that is the same size as the factory one. Pioneer and several other companies used to make them, but I haven't looked for one in a couple years.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    I'd like to find a deck that is the same size as the factory one. Pioneer and several other companies used to make them, but I haven't looked for one in a couple years.
    IMO, Alpine made the only DIN and a half HU's worth owning. Unfortunately they quit making them a few years ago. Due to bad past experience I wouldn't own a Pioneer deck if you gave it to me.

Another option would be to have a custom trim ring made for a standard DIN HU.
    Last edited by White Rascal; 09-16-2006 at 08:07 AM.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

That looks nice, where'd you get yours made?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

That looks nice, where'd you get yours made?
    Mike (DJSexay) over at F-Body Audio made it. I don't know if he still makes them or not though. He only makes them for Firebirds if he does.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

For anyone interested in upgrading the sail panel speakers, I highly recommend Pioneer TS-G671M 6 3/4" speakers. They're only $69 at Walmart, and they sound MUCH better than the stock ones. They are 4ways, 50w RMS, 260w peak, 92db, 4ohms, and have a frequency range of 30hz to 30khz. The specs on these speakers is in line with $100-150 speakers. I installed one of these in place of my blown sail speaker to compare them, and it was louder and lower than the remaining stock sail speaker that wasn't blown. It does not distort at mid volumes when the stock speakers do. Much better sound quality. I'm muuuuuch happier without the rattle... Now for the rest of them...
    Do these have the two plugins like the factory speakers or just one. If just one do you connect the long set of wires or the short set, or do you connect both factory wires to the one speaker connection?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

The factory wires were set up for dual voice coil speakers. Almost all of your 6" aftermarket speakers are going to be single coiled. You would only connect one set to an aftermarket. Connecting the two pairs would most likely cause damage to the amp. One of the pairs is front, and the other is a rear channel. Either one works. I used the rear channel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information