Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I wonder if they'll make a "no options" option.
    I guess that depends on what "no options" means to you. No Power windos and locks and that sort of thing, not a chance. No a/c, possibly.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    2016 Camaro Does More with Less

Looks like they are claiming at least 200 pounds being shed or more depending on trim level.
    I was kind of hoping to hear about a greater drop than that. High 3,600's to low 3,700's is still a lot of weight for a Pony car. That weight sounds kinda like the last run GTO.I was hoping they would be in the 3,500's. Of course they could shave almost 100 poinds by using lightweight 18 inch wheels and 26 in tires than the 20 inch wheels and 28 inch tires that they are most likely sourcing.
    Look at how much the new vettes weigh. 3300 base almost 3600 for the z06. Too much weight added now a days with all the new safety equipment. Think they are going to have to engineer a whole new super light platform or shrink the car down smaller then what we are used to to get down in the mid to low 3000s again.

As for the wheels hoping they are using around the same size as the ATS. Those cars are using 18 and 19s.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Look at how much the new vettes weigh. 3300 base almost 3600 for the z06. Too much weight added now a days with all the new safety equipment. Think they are going to have to engineer a whole new super light platform or shrink the car down smaller then what we are used to to get down in the mid to low 3000s again.

As for the wheels hoping they are using around the same size as the ATS. Those cars are using 18 and 19s.
    The sting ray is pretty big compared to say a C5...or at least it looks that way. With that said, the C5 Z06 was about 200lbs lighter.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    The sting ray is pretty big compared to say a C5...or at least it looks that way. With that said, the C5 Z06 was about 200lbs lighter.
    I also think the weight gain of the C7 lies in its dimensions, but I wouldnt be surpisedif we laterfound out that they ended up using a less expensive structural material than a lighter more costly one that they originally planned.

I also thing that weight might be a consideration for them seriously working to mid engine. Less weight in driveshaft and subframe/cradles when everything is near the drive wheels.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

The question might be how much the F6's target weight was and how close they came to it. If they only tried to lop off 200 pounds because thats what they decided on, that might be why. If they figured the Mustang and Challenger were going to stay in the upper half of 3k pounds, they might have comprimised if they thought it might save 1k off of the MSRP. GM wouldnt shock me with that thought process.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I also think the weight gain of the C7 lies in its dimensions, but I wouldnt be surpisedif we laterfound out that they ended up using a less expensive structural material than a lighter more costly one that they originally planned.

I also thing that weight might be a consideration for them seriously working to mid engine. Less weight in driveshaft and subframe/cradles when everything is near the drive wheels.
    My understanding is that mid-engine layouts work out to be heavier overall, rather than lighter (all other things being equal). I know they could benefit from using a trans-axle if they made it a sidewinder, but if we look at the NSX, which was made of aluminum instead of steel, which saved the car 500 pounds, it still weighed in at 3010 pounds when it came out in 91 (would've been 3510 if it were steel, and its a 2-seater). As manufacturing requirements changed, the car totaled out at 3200+ pounds later in its production run even with additional weight saving changes, which made it just a smidge heavier than the its contemporary the C5 Z06 (even though it saved 500 lbs by being made of aluminum).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information