Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1 RedHot TransAm View Post
    man I was wondering what those damn cracks were on both my doors, It happened after I took it out of storage from the winter, I noticed I have two very small cenimeter cracks starting, thanks for posting the fixes guys...
    Yes but there must be a reason we don't all have it. I know of a few '99's here in our city that haven't had a problem including mine???
    1999 BLACK WS6 RAM AIR TRANS AM A4 (1 of 274 WS6 coupe Canada only models)

ASC conversion date: 6/10/99
    ASC build# : 4310 of 5007
    Hood Sequence #74992V

w/over (50) performance & appearance mods!!!

My Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/kenawink

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I'm sure allot of it has to do with where you live where the car it kept and time. I have a 99 and I have 1 crack in my driver side.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Here you guys go! Link to full article with pics......
    http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html
    Thanks so much for the info, mine wasn't cracked yet but I did the mod to prevent it from happening. I woundered why all the TA's I looked before I found mine had cracks. Thanks again!!!

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    02' WS6 TRANS AM

BOTH MY DOORS HAVE THIS CRACK AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE GETTING THIS! I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER!

GOOD STICKY!

black
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 1st TA View Post
    I see a lot of pic of ta's with cracks in the door panels. I have an 02 and would like to know if there is an average time frame or mile that this seems to happen? Didn't know if I should be thinking about the door panel fix soon. It has 20000 on the clock.
    Thanks for any reply.
    99 T A here with only 15,450 miles !!! Mine started cracking last year always in garage & stored winters !! I heard its a defect in plastic but just like GM only fixed if under warranty !!! No recalls !!! problem for 98-02 !!!!

Black
    1999 WS6

I looked at mine up close today and even tho I couldnt see any cracking, I could feel that the plastic was not even. There are two "humps" about 2-4 inches apart from each other on my drivers side panel (99 WS6, 22K miles)

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I got a 99 Trans Am WS6 with 60,000 miles and it has cracks on both sides. It was like that when I bought it acutally

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by trans am man 99 View Post
    99 T A here with only 15,450 miles !!! Mine started cracking last year always in garage & stored winters !! I heard its a defect in plastic but just like GM only fixed if under warranty !!! No recalls !!! problem for 98-02 !!!!

There should be a recall! Check out these examples:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/562650026XVVrXC

and then they should include the crappy power window motors and headlamp motors as well!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Recalls are for are almost always for safety issues so you won't see one for a cracked door panel problem

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Recalls are for are almost always for safety issues so you won't see one for a cracked door panel problem
    I don't agree as I just received a recall notice for a leaking pinion seal which I wouldn't consider being safety related.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If it the GM recall I'm thinking of, then yes its concidered a saftey issue. Here how that recall reads:
    General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2005-2007 model year Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, SRX, STS; 2006-2007 model year Cadillac STS-V; 2007 model year Daewoo G2X and Opel GT; 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice; and 2007 model year Saturn SKY vehicles. The drive axle differential seal (two on all-wheel drive vehicles) may leak because it does not meet GM's specifications. If a seal is leaking, there will be fluid on the ground where the vehicle is parked. If enough fluid leaks, the differential will become noisier because of reduced lubrication. After about two-thirds of the differential fluid is lost, the bearings may no longer be lubricated and may start to overheat. Damage to the bearings and other differential components could then occur. Damaged bearings will create noise that may be heard by the vehicle occupants. If the vehicle is not repaired and damage progresses, three conditions can occur: (1) When the vehicle is stopped and shifted to reverse, the differential may jam and prevent vehicle movement; (2) the damage can cause drag that will feel like the brake is applied; or (3) the differential could jam and lock the drive wheels while the vehicle is in motion. If (3) occurs, the driver may not be able to control the vehicle and a crash could occur without warning.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

that's not the only place our door panels crack. i have one one on each door in the same spot that everyone else does. I also have a crack starting further up towards the side mirror on my drivers door. and still, if you look at your door panel where the leather is and it's located on the part of the panel that would be closer to the back seat. not up where it normally cracks, but about half way down the door panel where the panel meets the leather. I have cracks there on both doors as well. This is only part of the problems I'm having with my car. engine is great, but car is falling apart around it. shoulda bought a mustang and dropped the ls1 in it...lol

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

weather isnt the factor on the cracks its stress caused from the staples holding the window molding on...i did the preventative mod on mine last summer, WORTH IT FOR SURE...any car show im usually the only one with out those cracks...if u dont have the the cracks..U WILL, unless u do this mod.. it is A+++

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Had to change the window motor in the drivers door so this mod is done on one door at this point.

Red
    02 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by noxside View Post
    I too have a 02 ws6 with 26,xxx miles and have the crack on the drivers side, but not the passenger
    Same here. I put my 02 T/A away every winter, but this Spring when I brought it out of hibernation I found a crack on the Drivers side Panel about mid way near the window

midnight blue

i need to fix mine too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Firebird Formula

Bugger. I had no idea this was such an epidemic. I thought it was just me. My passenger side door just cracked in the last year or so - I blamed it on my wife. The driver's side is still good. I'm glad I found this - I'll be fixing the passenger side and performing the preventative on the driver's side soon.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes do it soon!

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Hmmm, I must be doing something right as my '99 still has no sign of cracking whatsoever and I am somewhat reluctant to do the mod as my virgin door panels have never been removed!

SOM
    2001 WS6

Mine hasn't cracked either. 2001 with 30K on the clock but it sits in a garage. I made the mod to the driver side in November and will likely do the passenger side soon just as a preventive measure. The stress was slightly visible on dr side and the modification relieved it. The choice to make the chage is yours but I know I'd be upset if it cracked and I hadn't done anything about it knowing that it might happen.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information