Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    ^^^^he is correct,,,,our 97 Z28 convertable when new ran 14.20's easily at 99 mph with shitty DA here in Ohio,,,,it was a 6speed car and completely stock.

Still ran identical times even after 102,000 miles on the clock just last year...
    14.20's is about right on for a stock vert.

Red
    1995 Trans Am

ive only made 3 passes in mine. at the time it had about 135k on the stock motor. only mods was a loudmouth and k&n cai. street tires at 18 psi, launch at 1500 rpm, shitty 2.30ish 60ft but still pulled a decent 13.9 @102. i was happy with that time.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fupa View Post
    ive only made 3 passes in mine. at the time it had about 135k on the stock motor. only mods was a loudmouth and k&n cai. street tires at 18 psi, launch at 1500 rpm, shitty 2.30ish 60ft but still pulled a decent 13.9 @102. i was happy with that time.
    Was that an auto or stick?
    For some reason if I launch at something low like that my car gets kinda jumpy and get crappy launches, it will only get a decent launch with some tire spin when I launch around 3 grand+ with my 6 speed.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Was that an auto or stick?
    For some reason if I launch at something low like that my car gets kinda jumpy and get crappy launches, it will only get a decent launch with some tire spin when I launch around 3 grand+ with my 6 speed.
    That would be bog your referring to. There is a sweet spot right around 2200-2500 that can be had with a perfect balance of the gas and clutch. That's how I netted a 13.77@101. Took me quite a bit of practice to attain that time, and even then I couldn't get consistant with it.

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    That would be bog your referring to. There is a sweet spot right around 2200-2500 that can be had with a perfect balance of the gas and clutch. That's how I netted a 13.77@101. Took me quite a bit of practice to attain that time, and even then I couldn't get consistant with it.
    Ya, I never bother to tinker with that when on street tires and driving a stick car. I just let the clutch drop and moderate tire spin with the throttle,,have some fun and see what the car puts up,,,ya don't get the best ET's this way but eh,,,If I wanted to really see what the car would do or go rounds in class racing I would have thrown sticky tires on it anyway. Hence the reason for my 14.20 times on the ole 97 Z28,,,,I was only cutting 2.3 60 foot times. Car had easy 13 second potential, thats seen by the mph it produced.

10's N/A

Ya, I never bother to tinker with that when on street tires and driving a stick car. I just let the clutch drop and moderate tire spin with the throttle,,have some fun and see what the car puts up,,,ya don't get the best ET's this way but eh,,,If I wanted to really see what the car would do or go rounds in class racing I would have thrown sticky tires on it anyway. Hence the reason for my 14.20 times on the ole 97 Z28,,,,I was only cutting 2.3 60 foot times. Car had easy 13 second potential, thats seen by the mph it produced.
    Definitely 13-second cars, problem is with peak torque not to far above idle, it's pretty difficult to launch hard without tire spin. I found that sweet spot sort of by accident, then I just kept giving the car a little more rpm every launch until I encountered tire spin, then that was it's limit. A couple 13.9's, then 13.8, and finally a 13.7 before the night was over. The next couple runs I attempted to give it a little more but it would spin. I never ran a 13.7 again in that car after that, but was able to manage consistant high 13.8's to 13.9s on my next trip to the track.

I know what you mean about the peak torque. Driving both an LT1 and LS1 there is a huge difference in feel and throttle response. Almost as though the LS1 feels lazy down low compared to the LT1.

The LT1 is much more of a tire spinner in first gear. I find the stock LS1's are very easy to get moving with minimal spin.

I believe it has alot to do with a moderate size cylinder head on the LT1 promoting good throttle response and torque,,,only 170cc intake runners.

Where as the LS1 is slightly smaller in cubic inch,,,,yet the cylinder head intake runner is 200cc,,,rather large for such a small motor,,,makes them feel a little soft down low in my opinion.

10's N/A

Yeah soft down low, then they scream up top!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Ehh I still say LT1 FTW!!!

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Ehh I still say LT1 FTW!!!
    yeah, the torque is fun. but surprisingly, it still feels like my car pulls all the way to 6000 rpm shift points.

thats high enough rpm anyways for stock rod bolts, and valvesprings lol

Nothing wrong with LT1's at all. I've owned enough of them. Just hard to compare them performance wise to an LS1.
    You're talking 23 degree heads verses 15 degree heads,,,,,the power potential between the 2 are night and day.

10's N/A

Nothing wrong with LT1's at all. I've owned enough of them. Just hard to compare them performance wise to an LS1.
    You're talking 23 degree heads verses 15 degree heads,,,,,the power potential between the 2 are night and day.
    Powerwise stock they may be night and day...but from an overall potential standpoint, they are nowhere near that far apart. Compare a built naturally-aspirated LTx to a built LSx, and the gap is closer than you think

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    ......I was talking to a guy........and he was telling me about his 95 Z28 with the LT1 "you know, the corvette motor"......He said that he runs 15.2 at the track.......
    That's pretty slow, even for a stock Z28.

Hell, a stock Impala SS runs that 'fast'.......

KW

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
    That's pretty slow, even for a stock Z28.

Hell, a stock Impala SS runs that 'fast'.......

KW
    Well I would guess that's why he was comparing how well he did by mentioning that he kept up with a stock Grand Prix GTP

pewter
    2000 camaro

my 95z with 30ish thousand miles with punched cats and CAI ran 14.3-on used old ass tires-ran it again 5yrs later with 178,000 miles with the stock stall and opti (changed cap), tranny etc....14.3-no traction again--
    she was the best damn car i ever owned!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

My older V6 camaro ran low 15s...

Thread Information