Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

That's what I was thinking, maybe a nice grinder and ratchet. that seems to be the most work i do. I still have nightmares about the from strut mount. I was cutting for ever with my little dremel. I could have used a nice grinder to make short work of it. I never thought about looking at 3/8" air guns, huh.

I retired auto guy at Home Depot said the same thing about oiling. Drop a little oil in before each use and you should be good to go and last a decent time.

Lookin 4 1974 Pontiac T/A

I've noticed a few giving opinions on which brands names are good etc. Thought i'd throw in my two cents and suggest which brand to avoid.. advice I wish someone had given me when starting my collection. Top of my "avoid list" is Central Pneumatic (Not to be confused with Chicago Pneumatic). Mostly sold at Harbor Freight stores, the low price is alluring sure.. and they work great in a pinch, but for long term use you'll just end up replacing their tools within months. They simpy don't seem to have long lasting components. Also don't rule out shopping around some pawn shops. I picked up an IR orbital sander for $35 and It needed was the quick connect stud. Don't under estimate pawn shops.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

ive found that the husky die grinder at home depot is great around $50 and the 1/2 ir guns are amazing they are light,durable and very powerful. The red snap on 3/8 gun has a retarted amount of power that is a shop favorite all my friends have it and i have the older one (mg31)
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Contagious74 View Post
    I've noticed a few giving opinions on which brands names are good etc. Thought i'd throw in my two cents and suggest which brand to avoid.. advice I wish someone had given me when starting my collection. Top of my "avoid list" is Central Pneumatic (Not to be confused with Chicago Pneumatic). Mostly sold at Harbor Freight stores, the low price is alluring sure.. and they work great in a pinch, but for long term use you'll just end up replacing their tools within months. They simpy don't seem to have long lasting components. Also don't rule out shopping around some pawn shops. I picked up an IR orbital sander for $35 and It needed was the quick connect stud. Don't under estimate pawn shops.
    thank you. I read a post on ebay saying the same thing. The China brands are ripping of the US brands and picking similar names to confuse people. I doubt I would ever go to Harbor Freight for anything. I can buy cheap crap from Wal-Mart, lol...Heck you can buy cheap crap from Sears.

I have thought about the pawn shops, tools are a popular find. I think they are second to guitars and gold chains.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    ive found that the husky die grinder at home depot is great around $50 and the 1/2 ir guns are amazing they are light,durable and very powerful. The red snap on 3/8 gun has a retarted amount of power that is a shop favorite all my friends have it and i have the older one (mg31)
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all
    Thanks for the link. Boy that price really puts the IR brand into a different light, lol.... I guess I don't feel as if IR is so expensive any more.
    Last edited by kool-aide; 03-17-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

Thumbs down

i only buy ingersoll rand,but they all do the same shit i guess ?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I had a snap-on 3/8" impact gun that was a pile of crap. Chicago pneumatic is a decent brand. IR is the king of impacts right now. For home use, a nice 3/8" air ratchet makes brake jobs, water pumps, valve covers, alternators, etc easier/quicker to do.

sunset orange/ black
    two 2001 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I had a snap-on 3/8" impact gun that was a pile of crap. Chicago pneumatic is a decent brand. IR is the king of impacts right now. For home use, a nice 3/8" air ratchet makes brake jobs, water pumps, valve covers, alternators, etc easier/quicker to do.
    im no preacher but "amen"

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I do like the 3/8 snap on gun but 1/2 ones are to bulky and heavy. I personly preefer the matco 1769 which is made by ir like all matco guns. I would check sears and get an ir titanium if they have them still, same as matco gun listed above but has the ir name on it and a lil cheaper

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks every one. sounds like IR is a real good buy.

ford ranger

I use a 3/8 IR impact a lot at work. They are great and have a lot of sh&t to them. Handles lug nut with ease.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I usually buy Craftsman, because they'll replace it on the spot if they break, but IR is also a good brand, I still own a 10yo 3/8th drive impact that torques like a beast!

if you want something affordable try your local Harborfreight tools

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SVG210 View Post
    I usually buy Craftsman, because they'll replace it on the spot if they break, but IR is also a good brand, I still own a 10yo 3/8th drive impact that torques like a beast!

if you want something affordable try your local Harborfreight tools
    Yep, I went to my local Sears outlet/repair center. The reconditioned Craftsman tools were expensive. Almost all of the tools they had looked as if they had plenty of use on them before being turned in as defects. It might have been worth it if the discount was bigger. The selection was super limited, just a couple of guns and a ratchet, . But....I did figure out you can surf Sears Outlet online and they sometimes will match you to a store and product.

Thread Information