Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    I have never tasted a single malt Scotch that was bad. Some are better than others but typically the older the better, to a point. I say that because anything over 25 years it becomes critically important how it was stored. IMO single malt Scotch is the best whiskey you can buy. American whiskey's are good and I also enjoy them but I think the law that limits the use of the barrel to one time and it must be thrown out, or sold, ruins the opportunity for some very unique tastes. Scotch is usually aged in barrels from the US. They don't have a one time use law. Scotch blends can be interesting but they are a crapshoot. There are great ones and there are bad ones. It depends greatly on the year and what Scotches are used in the blend. There are a few websites that are dedicated to whiskey so a search would help you find out if what you intend to buy is really worth the cost. I have had a 40 dollar a shot Scotch that tasted better that a 400 dollar a shot Scotch.
    Those barrel laws are in place for american bourbon. It has to be brewed in KY, in a brand new charred, white oak barrel, aged at least 2 years (i think), and has to be at least 51% corn mash.

dale

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I have a bottle of this that is about 15 years old. It comes straight from the barrel at between 121 and 127 proof and is awesome. I am saving this one for a special occasion. I had another that I drank a few years back and it was fantastic. Bourbon > Scotch IMO.

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I have a bottle of this that is about 15 years old. It comes straight from the barrel at between 121 and 127 proof and is awesome. I am saving this one for a special occasion. I had another that I drank a few years back and it was fantastic. Bourbon > Scotch IMO.

Click for full size
    LOL...I'm about 2 miles right behind the distilery where that's made. My folks own a log home there. BTW...my preference is Knob Creek...but it's bottled by Jim Beam, just the same as bookers.

dale
    Last edited by iam_dale; 01-25-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    LOL...I'm about 2 miles right behind the distilery where that's made. My folks own a long home there. BTW...my preference is Knob Creek...but it's bottled by Jim Beam, just the same as bookers.

dale
    Bookers is far better than Knob Creek. Not even in the same class.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Scorsbys blend ... it's aged for a week in abandoned gas tanks in Fresno ... anyone can drink good scotch ... it take's a real man to drink the cheap stuff.

White
    02 WS6

Bookers is far better than Knob Creek. Not even in the same class.
    Not denying that at all. For my money, I just prefer the Knob Creek.

dale

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    i will give it a whirl
    yeah, lemme know what you think...its pretty damn good.....besides, people look at you funny when you say "I'm goin to get some dick"

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Not denying that at all. For my money, I just prefer the Knob Creek.

dale
    Oh okay. In that case I agree. Bookers is awesome, but not something you drink all the time. Knob Creek is cheaper and is an excellent bourbon.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

single malts are really diverse, lowland or highland malts, peat or oak or tobacco flavors in various shades and mixes. so it's hard to recommend something imo.

my favorites:
    auchentoshin 21 years old
    lagavullin double matured (24 years)
    the balvenie doublewood

White
    02 WS6

Oh okay. In that case I agree. Bookers is awesome, but not something you drink all the time. Knob Creek is cheaper and is an excellent bourbon.
    If you ever make it up to kentucky...you should hit the bourbon trail. The only tours I've done are Makers Mark and Beam. Beam is self-guided, but is a much better tour IMHO.

dale

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    http://www.dickel.com/home.htm

Dick and Diet (George Dickel, and diet coke) My new favorite drink
    If your going to mix anything with coke or and pop or juice product your basically wasting your money with expensive whisky. I prefer Jameson 12 year old reserve for a cheap but enjoyable whisky. To each is own, but that is one of my pet peaves. I hate when people mix good/expensive alcohol with pop/juice. Just a waste if you ask me. If you want a good enjoyable whisky to sip on can't go wrong with Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by cant.b.caught.z28 View Post
    what about good ol crown royal cask no. 16
    Crown Royal anything is a complete joke for a whisky and should be poured down the toilet were it belongs.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

If you ever make it up to kentucky...you should hit the bourbon trail. The only tours I've done are Makers Mark and Beam. Beam is self-guided, but is a much better tour IMHO.

dale

I would love to take one of those tours. I am a big fan of good bourbon and good beer and am very interested in the processes to make both.

Black
    99 SS

dale

been on the makers mark one, pretty good, want to see them all really with woodford reserve, buffalo trace all that good shit, and hell its only right down the road from me about an hour away if you go down HWY 127 and avoid all the traffic from 75 and 64

Black
    99 SS

I would love to take one of those tours. I am a big fan of good bourbon and good beer and am very interested in the processes to make both.

its a very interesting tour. and there all pretty much within an hours drive of each other

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    single malts are really diverse, lowland or highland malts, peat or oak or tobacco flavors in various shades and mixes. so it's hard to recommend something imo.

my favorites:
    auchentoshin 21 years old
    lagavullin double matured (24 years)
    the balvenie doublewood

Listen to the german

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

So does any1 know anything about the single malt i had mentioned? I am dead set on that.

Those barrel laws are in place for american bourbon. It has to be brewed in KY, in a brand new charred, white oak barrel, aged at least 2 years (i think), and has to be at least 51% corn mash.

dale
    You are correct about Bourbon having to use white oak charred barrels and everything else you said. The one time use got applied to every whiskey maker but I don't believe they are restricted to white oak though. I've heard some good things about the new whiskey makers in Colorado but I haven't tried any yet.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    So does any1 know anything about the single malt i had mentioned? I am dead set on that.
    All I can say is I wish I were your uncle because I've never had anyone spend $800 on a bottle of booze for me.

I do drink The Macallan 12 year often so I am a fan of this distillery.

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    I haven't tried it but I have read some reviews of it and they all say the same thing. Its an exceptional Scotch. The reviews are so good I am going to try it and see for myself. The reviews were from both professionals and people that just like Scotch so i'd say they are pretty reliable and accurate. I'd buy it without remorse, if you want to spend that much on a bottle of whiskey, some people scoff at the cost of good whiskey so it is a valid disqualifier for some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information