Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clutch choosin

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

what clutch are you running??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The reason I ask is that it could be is a weak pressure plate. You spin the pressure plate up to 6000 rpms and the centrifugal loads on the pressure plate might be greater then the return load from the pressure plate springs.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The reason I ask is that it could be is a weak pressure plate. You spin the pressure plate up to 6000 rpms and the centrifugal loads on the pressure plate might be greater then the return load from the pressure plate springs.
    I wish I knew it was in the car when I bought it car has 108k and wouldn't be surprised if it was stock

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by v8ramair View Post
    negitive but im messagein the guys form texas drivetrain and performance on thr dimaond clutch but id rather just spend the extra money and get it all new thanks tho ill look in to that drill mod

very good choice. he is actually the person who designed the Monster clutch and had his design stolen from him. He has since made a couple minor changes that greatly increases its strength. His stage 3 is more durable than the Monster stage 6. You can also opt to get a chromoly flywheel.

I had his stage 3 installed over 3 years ago and didn't have any problems... I just went back to Jason last month and had him install a brand new stage 3, just because I wanted a new clutch...lol. (a little preventative maintenance)... I had around 500 flywheel HP for over 2 years with it, then over 620 flywheel HP with my new motor for the past year with no problems. and yes I went back with a stage 3 from him again. I reccommend his clutch to anybody who drives a M6, and he stands by his product.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Why would you replace a clutch that didn't need to be replaced? Do you shit money?

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I'm running a SPEC 3+ with the billet flywheel and I changed the master to a tick proformence adjustable and I love it my pedal never sticks anymore and it's got a firmer pedal which I really like ......I also like how you can now adjust the pedal to move your engagement point !! The drill mod is kinda a half ass way to fix it IMO if your gong to do it do it right

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    I'm running a SPEC 3+ with the billet flywheel and I changed the master to a tick proformence adjustable and I love it my pedal never sticks anymore and it's got a firmer pedal which I really like ......I also like how you can now adjust the pedal to move your engagement point !! The drill mod is kinda a half ass way to fix it IMO if your gong to do it do it right
    Do you have chatter with your Spec 3+? I have the same exact clutch and flywheel and I hate it.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Why would you replace a clutch that didn't need to be replaced? Do you shit money?
    lmfao, nah, but I do make a descent living. In reality though, I had a noise that sounded like a coke can being crushed around the firewall and found out that one of the dow pins for the transmission had fallen through into the bell housing area (must of been loosened back in June of last year when the new motor was installed cause I haven't had the tranny off since and I had been hearing it every once in a while for quite a while) and it chewed up the pressure plate pretty good. I coulda gotten away with reinstalling the clutch as it didn't damage anything important, but I thought "what the hell" might as well while I have it in the shop. The disk was a little worn from 3+ years of driving so why not freshen everything up, especially since I may be spraying within the next year.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Do you have chatter with your Spec 3+? I have the same exact clutch and flywheel and I hate it.
    I did until I got use to the engagement of it you got to be a little quick with it,cause it's grabby as F@&k. But I love it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    I did until I got use to the engagement of it you got to be a little quick with it,cause it's grabby as F@&k. But I love it
    Yes, I noticed the same exact thing with mine. If you time the release and gas just about perfect on take off it won't do it...otherwise it'll jerk you Yes, VERY grabby.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    lmfao, nah, but I do make a descent living. In reality though, I had a noise that sounded like a coke can being crushed around the firewall and found out that one of the dow pins for the transmission had fallen through into the bell housing area (must of been loosened back in June of last year when the new motor was installed cause I haven't had the tranny off since and I had been hearing it every once in a while for quite a while) and it chewed up the pressure plate pretty good. I coulda gotten away with reinstalling the clutch as it didn't damage anything important, but I thought "what the hell" might as well while I have it in the shop. The disk was a little worn from 3+ years of driving so why not freshen everything up, especially since I may be spraying within the next year.
    Makes much more sense now

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Yes, I noticed the same exact thing with mine. If you time the release and gas just about perfect on take off it won't do it...otherwise it'll jerk you Yes, VERY grabby.
    Ya it dosnt leave much room at all for error!!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

So when i went to the track yesterday and launched it 2.001 60ft decent, my clutch acted up even worse than before stuck in 3rd and 4th....It seems the harder i launch the worse off i am. Any suggestions before yanking that tranny out and doing the slave and clutch itself? Master maybe???? I do have a 99 and i hear that this year has junk hydrolics.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Also if i buy a new master, does it matter if i get the GM part or some other one? gm part is 148 plus shipping or i can get one at the store near me for 69 is it going to matter much?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes it matters. The autozone, Oreilly's, Napa, etc clutch masters are junk. You'll definitely want a GM or Tick. Some people really like the Ram master also.

And the more I read about this sticky clutch problem, the more I'm convinced that a weak pressure plate is just about as common or more common cause then the hydraulics.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 08-01-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

yes it matters. The autozone, Oreilly's, Napa, etc clutch masters are junk. You'll definitely want a GM or Tick. Some people really like the Ram master also.

And the more I read about this sticky clutch problem, the more I'm convinced that a weak pressure plate is just about as common or more common cause then the hydraulics.
    ok thanks, so basically go for the master then when that doesnt work do the clutch

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

So when it comes to masters I see the GM is a decent price but that tick is more than twice the GM, for a car with just bolt ons is the regular GM one good or is the tick that much better

Well, the regular GM isn't adjustable. And that's the whole issue I have with it.
    I won't do anything but adjustable on these things. So it's either the Ram or the Tick.
    The Ram is cheaper, But the Tick comes with a larger reservoir for more capacity, and uses an adapter on the firewall. Supposed to be a better piece.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well, the regular GM isn't adjustable. And that's the whole issue I have with it.
    I won't do anything but adjustable on these things. So it's either the Ram or the Tick.
    The Ram is cheaper, But the Tick comes with a larger reservoir for more capacity, and uses an adapter on the firewall. Supposed to be a better piece.
    It looks like a nice piece but not sure if the GM part wouldnt do what i need it to. I am going to need a new clutch i'm sure soon and would rather use the extra money for the LS7.......So whats better Ram or GM Part????? They are close to the same price
    Last edited by Camaro69Mac; 08-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    It looks like a nice piece but not sure if the GM part wouldnt do what i need it to. I am going to need a new clutch i'm sure soon and would rather use the extra money for the LS7.......So whats better Ram or GM Part????? They are close to the same price
    Guess it depends if you need the adjustment.

The new LS6 clutch in my wifes car would grab right off the floor, and made it really tough to drive for me, and she wouldn't even drive it at all. Even with the spacer installed behind the bearing clutch engagement was rediculously close to the floor.
    So for me I had no choice but to install an adjustable master cylinder. I used the Ram, which is basically a GM unit with an adjustable rod installed. So it doesn't technically move as much fluid as say,,,a Tick unit. But it did give me the adjustability I needed. My clutch now engages about half way up, much easier to shift, and my wife can now drive the car.

Honestly, I'll never go back to a non adjustable setup. I'm so used to driving stick cars with mechanical linkage, and having the ability to adjust the free play to suit my driving style. So not having that ability on a 4th gen was just crazy to me. I'll probably try the Tick unit next and see how that one works.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-02-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information