Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Right on. I saw on one of the COTMs here the other day a guy has a mirror off of a Tahoe or Yukon or something, and it has the compass/temp indicator. Do you think that would be more "plug and play" than the one off Amazon? I guess the Amazon one is also OEM, so-to-speak, so maybe its a wash? Although I suspect that the mirror from the Tahoe would not have map lights, being a hard top vehicle.

Actually, it may have been in the classifieds...

If It's from a Tahoe it's likely the same thing that's in my Dmax. It would be the same thing that's forsale in Amazon, same manufacture. Matter of fact, reading the reviews, the one on Amazon is a direct plug and play unit for cars that originally came equipped with this mirror, or at least had the option. Since our 4th gens never had this option, there is going to be some unavoidable wiring details, namely wiring and plugging in the temp sensor portion of the mirror.
    The current harness in the car for the maplight mirror would run to the BCM (I believe) since that is all part of the dome light timer system. This portion of the mirror should stay the same for the new mirror, and that part may be plug and play. Just have to run power and ground to the temp/compass portion, which comes equipped as a seperate harness.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ah, I see. So I would have to follow the map light wire back to the BCM? Is it going to require splicing in new wires and connectors? If so, I might not be able to do it myself, will have to have Sean do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Ah, I see. So I would have to follow the map light wire back to the BCM? Is it going to require splicing in new wires and connectors? If so, I might not be able to do it myself, will have to have Sean do it.
    More than likely will require at least connecting power to the temp/compass part of the mirror since that's a seperate function with it's own harness.
    The map lights would hook up exactly like the original, and those wires are already present. Like you said, follow the map light wires from the mirror, but you will run into a weatherpack connection before reaching the BCM (where I assume it goes probably after it passes through the fuse box) I would assume based from other cars with this mirror I've worked on that the original harness for the map lights probably has the weatherpack connection not far from the mirror, hiding in the A-pillar or somewhere close (headliner by mirror maybe). After all, it makes sense that it should be made relatively easy to remove/replace the mirror if the need ever presented itself.

I'll know more for certain when it gets here and I tear into it. I'll write something up with some pics. Should be pretty straight forward, I'm sure you can do it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-23-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

LOL! Just found this a minute ago:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f50/instal...p-temp-159358/

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    More than likely will require at least connecting power to the temp/compass part of the mirror since that's a seperate function with it's own harness.
    The map lights would hook up exactly like the original, and those wires are already present. Like you said, follow the map light wires from the mirror, but you will run into a weatherpack connection before reaching the BCM (where I assume it goes probably after it passes through the fuse box) I would assume based from other cars with this mirror I've worked on that the original harness for the map lights probably has the weatherpack connection not far from the mirror, hiding in the A-pillar or somewhere close (headliner by mirror maybe). After all, it makes sense that it should be made relatively easy to remove/replace the mirror if the need ever presented itself.

I'll know more for certain when it gets here and I tear into it. I'll write something up with some pics. Should be pretty straight forward, I'm sure you can do it.
    As long as it doesn't inovolve anything more complicated than plugging in a component to a preexisting connector, I'd be good, but without a wiring diagram (which I suck a reading, BTW), I'd be worried about plugging something into the wrong circuit. I shorted out my dash lights when I installed my short shifter, to give you an idea of what I mean.

Turned out to be a momentary short. A new fuse fixed it.

It's not that I'm afraid to tinker around with my car, but everything I've installed/swapped hs resulted in peripheral problems (even when I changed my spark plugs, the #8 was so hard for me to get at that I wasn't even able to tighten it down all the way. Never realized it until a ticking sound forced me to take it in and have it looked at. I though it was valvtrain noise. Turned out that my #8 spark plug was loose enough that it backed out and started rattling around).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

I read that, apparently he just cut the wires when he bought the mirror from the junk yard, and then took the temp sensor and cut those wires too. I personally don't care to do it that way and prefer factory harnesses with nice weatherpacks. To top it off it sounds like he got a mirror that didn't have map lights.
    He likely wasn't aware this mirror available new, complete with the wire harness and sensor for $157.

When I do mine, I'll hook the map lights up to the factory harness that's already there so they work as intended, and run the other factory harness through the car for the temp sensor.

I also plan to mount my sensor down below and behind the DRL light (turn signal) in the cubby hole that normally houses the EGR pump. That way the sensor is completely isolated from the engine compartment and the radiator, so as to get the most accurate temp possible.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I love it. I like the idea of "work as intended" even for the aftermarket portion. One thing about my cars: I don't like them to appear "aftermarket." Everything that goes onto my car, I prefer for it to look like it came that way.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I love it. I like the idea of "work as intended" even for the aftermarket portion. One thing about my cars: I don't like them to appear "aftermarket." Everything that goes onto my car, I prefer for it to look like it came that way.
    I agree with you. It should be that you have to know what you are looking at to notice the improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Not interior but I am thinking getting these for my car at some point that or black them out:

Neither of you would probably likey car it stands out quite a bit.

I wonder how hard it would be to make my own seat covers, mine need to be reupholstered so bad but I can't find anything for a decent price.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I blacked mine with VHT. I like mine a lot better. As far as redoing your seats yourself, you would just have to be good at a sewing machine, and do it a couple of times to practice. You can remove the seat covers you have, cut the stitching, and use the old material as templates. Then, practice sewing. It will just take time and patience. Don't expect to get anywhere the first time around. Remember, failure is not always a bad thing.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

To the tails once again, I removed the bird on mine, and blacked everything out the same. Reverse lights too. That way, the whole panel is the same color. Really goes well with the CETA mod. Now, if I could find a decent set of vinyl letters to fill in the bumper...Last ones I tried were crap.

Black/ Silver

My wife is pretty good with a sewing machine so I may see if she can do it for me. If it doesn't turn out that well I didn't spend that much doing it. I think I'll give it a try, making my covers that is.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Not interior but I am thinking getting these for my car at some point that or black them out:

Click for full size

I wonder how hard it would be to make my own seat covers, mine need to be reupholstered so bad but I can't find anything for a decent price.
    I take it you're referring to the tail light covers? I actually think those look good. But I haven't seen any for the Camaro that I like.
    I also would like to get the 6LE rear valence to contour over my exhaust, the way this car's does, but that will have to wait until I decide to get the paint corrected and I'll have everything painted up at the same time. Trying to budget for some Stranos right now... either that or an LS6 intake. So I can only do "cheap" projects for now that require little labor and minimal parts (hence the modernizing/refreshing of my interior).

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post

Click for full size

I take it you're referring to the tail light covers? I actually think those look good. But I haven't seen any for the Camaro that I like.
    I also would like to get the 6LE rear valence to contour over my exhaust, the way this car's does, but that will have to wait until I decide to get the paint corrected and I'll have everything painted up at the same time. Trying to budget for some Stranos right now... either that or an LS6 intake. So I can only do "cheap" projects for now that require little labor and minimal parts (hence the modernizing/refreshing of my interior).
    Yes I was referring to the tail lights.

Black/ Silver

I am thinking about painting my AC and stereo bezel trim and the center console, I did my window control trim and it turned out great. Do you think it would be too much? Here is the color I used but I may change it to jetstream blue.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

That is definitely a quality paint job, as far as I can tell. I am a big proponent of people doing what they want to their cars. I may or may not like it, but I have my own car to make it the way I want. I never have to dirve their's if I don't want to.

As I said earlier, I prefer a low-key, stockish appearance, but when done right, the more outrageous or adventurous stuff is exrtremely impressive.

Black/ Silver

That is definitely a quality paint job, as far as I can tell. I am a big proponent of people doing what they want to their cars. I may or may not like it, but I have my own car to make it the way I want. I never have to dirve their's if I don't want to.

As I said earlier, I prefer a low-key, stockish appearance, but when done right, the more outrageous or adventurous stuff is exrtremely impressive.
    Thanks. I like loud colors and doing things that are noticeable but tastefully done. Although some of what I have done some would probably say it's not tastefully done lol.

I really need to switch out my interior to black. I think the green on the interior would look 10x better with black.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Mirror came in today. Looking over the instructions, this mirror is designed to install into any vehicle that never had this option making it super simple. There is only 1 wire to hook to key on power, and a ground. That's it.

The only problem I forsee is that since I want the map lights to work with the interior lights (like the factory map lights do) I'll have to tap the power wire for the map lights into the existing mirror harness that is in the car. Depending on what the existing harness in the car looks like (number of wires) I might have some decifering to do. Other than that, looks straight forward.

Here's a pic of what you get.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Mirror came in today. Looking over the instructions, this mirror is designed to install into any vehicle that never had this option making it super simple. There is only 1 wire to hook to key on power, and a ground. That's it.

The only problem I forsee is that since I want the map lights to work with the interior lights (like the factory map lights do) I'll have to tap the power wire for the map lights into the existing mirror harness that is in the car. Depending on what the existing harness in the car looks like (number of wires) I might have some decifering to do. Other than that, looks straight forward.

Here's a pic of what you get.

Looks good! Can't wait to see it installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information