Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    You know top speed in 4th with 4.56?
    It all depends on the HP made, vehicle weight, tire size etc....
    I run 4.56's and 4.88's in a couple of other cars. But we are talking about a gen 1 327 and a 302.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 00redta88 View Post
    lol not looking for bucking just saying it doesn't bother me at all. I sill have the tsp 233/239 laying around but ordered a t rex. my buddys car is f*ckin amazing man. its not a cam for someone who wants awesome driveablilty but for me its all about smile factor here.
    yeah. Well do what you want with it, its your car! lol

Quote Originally Posted by 00redta88 View Post
    lol not looking for bucking just saying it doesn't bother me at all. I sill have the tsp 233/239 laying around but ordered a t rex. my buddys car is f*ckin amazing man. its not a cam for someone who wants awesome driveablilty but for me its all about smile factor here.
    They don't really drive that bad. I run a mutha thumper in front of a manual trans and only a 3.08 gear in that car, using a carb. After mild tuning it actually drive nice, and that's a camshaft with duration in the 250's and a lobe seperation of 107 degrees. I can make it buck and kick if I want, but that's just a result of being in the wrong gear. Once you know how to drive it, it buzzes around town just fine. You just have to find what the engine likes.

red
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They don't really drive that bad. I run a mutha thumper in front of a manual trans and only a 3.08 gear in that car, using a carb. After mild tuning it actually drive nice, and that's a camshaft with duration in the 250's and a lobe seperation of 107 degrees. I can make it buck and kick if I want, but that's just a result of being in the wrong gear. Once you know how to drive it, it buzzes around town just fine. You just have to find what the engine likes.
    thank you for the response the cam is ordered and hopefully here by end of week. Like i said i rode and drove the car a little just not alot so that why i was questioning the 4.10 it seemed to be ok in his car and it did pull pretty darn hard around 3k I have a brand new tsp 233 239 cam that i was going to install until i rode in my buddys t rex car. like i said wont be on the track much at all it may never see the track. If any racing does occur on the street it will be highway pulls anyways and i think that cam will really shine from a roll would you agree with that? ls6 intake manifold,lid,ported throttle body,texas speed stainless headers,texas speed true duals,t rex cam and 4.10's will be the only mods and of course a dyno tune from speed inc. also i am not going to replace lifters am i taking a pretty big gamble there? car has 70k on the clock.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You'll be fine with the stock lifters. I'd try and find a used FAST 90/90 if you could tho. Wouldn't hurt.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Is it the T-Rex that needs the pistons flycut?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No it will fit, barely. Not a bad idea to check first tho.

red
    2000 trans am

yeah it will fit with stock heads.

red
    2000 trans am

also my buddy said he had his car tuned in sd and seems to think it helped it idle a little better. any thoughts?

Yes, I've tuned all 3 of mine in SD and love it. Much better idle quality, seems more consistent and I also get better throttle response as well. I also see it as a way to remove one more problematic electronic device

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes, I've tuned all 3 of mine in SD and love it. Much better idle quality, seems more consistent and I also get better throttle response as well. I also see it as a way to remove one more problematic electronic device
    FAST 102/92TB combo, 36lb FAST inj., 25%underdrive pulley, A.I.R. delete, custom SSLT and true duels under the axel, 3000 stall, 12 bolt Moser, 4.11 gears, 325/50 tires
    Best 1.52 60ft, 7.48 1/8th, 95mph (all motor, no spray!!!) need a cage now..

red
    2000 trans am

thanks for the replies. Ill post up some numbers and let you guys know how it goes. expecting cam soon. going to install asap and take it to speed inc. should be a nice addition to the ta

red
    2000 trans am

hey guys one more question. My buddys car with the t rex cam like i said he was running texas speed true duals no cats (same set up ill be running) One thing like i said that i did notice was a very strong gas smell. im assuming no cats has something to do with this and also i have a heard the lsa of a cam has something to do with it as well the lower the lsa the "smellier"? correct me if im wrong guys just curious about that. But Like i said i did drive the car but i didn't drive it for a long period of time so i was wondering if you guys out there running cammed cars with no cats have alot of the smell inside the car? He says its not that bad for him he said he can def smell it in the summer with t tops down but other than that not to bad. Just wanting to get some of your opinions on this. It wouldn't bother me to much just wouldnt want it to the point where it was so strong i have a head ache every time i drive the car lol. Let me know your thoughts. thanks for any responses so far you guys have been awesome and a big help!

Cams with more overlap tend to do that. Think of it as a built in EGR I really don't notice it since I've spent my entire life driving cars around that never had cats to begin with. I'm numb to it I guess.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I rarely notice any fumes unless I'm standing behind the car with it idling.

red
    2000 trans am

thanks for the response guys! also INMY01TA i haven't been able to find a used fast 90/90 like you recommended in a earlier post. do you think it would be worth selling my ls6 intake manifold and just forking out the cash for a new fast? I do have some money saved up i was going to buy a 12 bolt by the end of spring but if you think the fast is critical for this combo then a fast it is. I do know that ten bolt I have is garbage but it wont see slicks which i know in many cases doesnt matter they are just garbage and can break under stock power. thats why i planned on buying a moser 12 bolt by end of spring. But if you think she will hold for the summer i can buy the fast or would it be better to stick with ls6 intake manifold for now and still buy rear end then buy fast at end of summer and have it re tuned? also if i put the 12 bolt in their i was going to run a 4.30 gear which i have heard will compliment that cam even more then the 4.10.

red
    2000 trans am

also this cam tends to like the upper rpms obviously. You think the stock bottom end will be ok if i set the limiter around 6700-6800ish? sorry bout all the questions they just keep popping up. my buddy says he spins his to 6800 but just thought i would get your guys opinions as well. thanks again!

That's something I breifly mentioned in an earlier post. Having a bottom end that will substain the high rpm abuse is a good idea.

I have the limiter on mine set to 6700 (stock bottom end) and shift at 6500 (baby cam). I sometimes bang the limiter, I've even laid the motor on it for a couple seconds trying to cross the finish line in 3rd gear. I don't make a habit of it however. I'm not a big fan of the snap cap rods in these engines and the rod bolts leave alot to be desired.

Frankly speaking, that cam you are thinking of in a 346 would make power above 7,000 rpms with shift points at 7200 or more would be ideal and unless you are shifting the car up there, you'll never reap the full benefits of that camshaft..the stock bottom end just won't hold up forever like that.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

My rev limter on stock bottom end is 7,000 but I keep the shift light set at 6,500. I've hit 7,000 a few times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information