Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....it's been an eye opener as far as how much shit costs on these damn things. I couldn't do a 6L 2500 though with my trailer. They get ass ugly gas mileage just running empty....add 10k pounds to that and tow a bunch of hills out in Virginia and it would kill me. I have been kinda thinking that way though since watching him go through this. Take a 6L and put a turbo on that. I'd be screwed at gas stations though. It's nice being able to use the tractor trailer pumps at the truck stop so I don't have to swing into and out of gas station parking lots between cars and shit. It seems like my buddy is just having the worst luck with his truck. For the most part the 06's are supposed to be pretty solid trucks. They have their issues like any other trucks but things like injectors are supposed to be some of the most dependable. Same with the tranny. As long as you take care of it that tranny should last forever. He's just rolled craps on a lot of stuff all at once with it. I can tell you right now if mine ever throws that p0087 code I'll be truck shopping the following week. It's nice having the "no payment" mod but I'm not sinking $5000-$8000 into this thing. Just won't happen.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah, the 6.0 wouldn't do it for you. The 8.1 gas probably would but then you'd be getting 10mpg unloaded and 6 mpg towing. lol

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The injectors are probably shot because of all the trash that went through them when the injection pump ate itself up.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's kinda what I've thought for a while...wondering if the trash is what done it. What I don't understand is what causes them to return fuel. I would think trash would get in the nozzles and slow the rate....maybe they clog and then it returns all the extra flow that should be going into the cylinder? What about a good cleaning? Think that would help at all? He asked what I thought and I told him that it couldn't hurt and the cleaner is only like $15 from the dealership so it's not like he'd be out a ton of money. Deep down I'm thinking it's pieces of metal and there's not a lot it'll do.
    I did find him injectors for $195 an injector through pensacola which saves him a shit ton of money over what we thought it was going to cost him. Another cool thing is they give you 30 days to return the cores before they charge you for the cores so it's not like he'll have to pay up front for that. $1200 is a lot better than the $1500 he had found himself plus that place charged $200 per core up front so he would've had to pony up $2700 up front for the 6 injectors. Part of me wants to tell him to just change all frigin 8 of them but 1 of them is brand new....I just don't know if it was put on before or after the pump shit itself....I think before.

I wonder if there's a way to flush that fuel system to make sure all of the metal is out of that thing if there is. I really think that's what's going on with his truck...at least the fueling issue. I'd hate for him to do injectors and then fuck the new ones up because of some left over metal in the system.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-29-2014 at 02:53 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think once the injectors are exposed to contamination from the pump destruction, you're pretty much screwed. They either clog up and their isn't anyway to backflush the debris out. Or they passed a bunch metal particles through them and are now worn out. When they wear out, they pass too much fuel through or leak. If the engine module thinks too much fuel is getting to the engine, then it commands the injector to return more fuel.
    In fact, now that I've re-read that injection pump failure service bulletin, it says to replace the pump, both fuel rails, all 8 injectors, and thoroughly clean/flush out all the high pressure fuel lines.
    So there you go. If you ever get the p0087 in your truck, now you know your whole high pressure fuel system is potentially screwed and in need of replacement. $$$$

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've already been talking to him about pulling all that off and flushing it with clean diesel before it goes back on. I'm also going to cut his filter in half and take a look to see if any metal is in there. I know it goes tank>filter>cp3> injectors so most of the trash will go directly to the injector instead of the filter but I would think some of it would've been returned to the tank and then maybe pulled back to the filter. I believe the injectors may have screens on them too we'll look at. I think we're on the right track though as far as what happened. My thought is when he first started getting the 0087 code it was due to a weak cp3 then the guy that changed the injector tested that pump and stressed it which caused it to shit the bed and sending trash to the injectors. My buddy said he went a month without the code after the work was done so it may have taken that long for the trash to kill those injectors.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes certainly a filter change should be added to the list as well

Okay I found the thread Orion and jumped in here to read the entire thing. Now you're scaring the hell outta me

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Okay I found the thread Orion and jumped in here to read the entire thing. Now you're scaring the hell outta me
    no shit.....in all fairness though he's had 10x the trouble with his truck than I've ever heard of anyone having with a duramax. Vehicles tear up....it's gonna happen....it's just shocking how much parts are for these damn things. When you're thankful to "only" be paying $200 per injector there's something wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just wait until you need to do head gaskets on a Duramax. Plan on pulling the cab off the frame and spending $7000.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sold "as is"

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Lol. I may have exaggerated the cost...a little bit...and meant to type "or spend $7000". Meaning having a shop do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Just wait until you need to do head gaskets on a Duramax. Plan on pulling the cab off the frame and spending $7000.
    Ha, I think if I ever have to dig that deep into mine, I'll just call Rob at ATP and tell him to ship me down a fresh Dmax (slightly modded of course ) along with a beefed Allison and just swap the entire thing myself.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ha, I think if I ever have to dig that deep into mine, I'll just call Rob at ATP and tell him to ship me down a fresh Dmax (slightly modded of course ) along with a beefed Allison and just swap the entire thing myself.
    i want to see the price tag for that I know the built tranny would be ~$5k.....the engine I have no idea but I would guess well north of $10k probably closer to $15k.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    i want to see the price tag for that I know the built tranny would be ~$5k.....the engine I have no idea but I would guess well north of $10k probably closer to $15k.
    Yep, I looked into it to prepare myself if things ever get that far. Sure alot cheaper than going out to buy a new $60k Dmax, and mine is nearly perfect cosmetically inside and out, so no need for a new truck really. I think I'd rather spend the coin for a drivetrain if it ever came to that.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Hell that's how swap the turbo on the newer ones...
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Hell that's how swap the turbo on the newer ones...
    A lot of guys do. Pulling the trans out to get to the turbo like the service manual says is a joke.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

did the injectors today....threw the low rail pressure code on the test drive. Every part of the fuel system has been replaced now. Not sure what else is left to do.

did the injectors today....threw the low rail pressure code on the test drive. Every part of the fuel system has been replaced now. Not sure what else is left to do.
    Does that thing have a tune in it?

When Rob at ATP did the tune on mine he told me to replace a fitting in the fuel rail (and supplied it) that replaced the original bypass valve so it wouldn't set of low rail pressure codes. Was a very simple and cheap part to replace.

I'm sure you guys have thought of this already.

Its stories like this that make me gun shy on buying a Diesel truck. I can do all the repair work myself, but the risk of dropping $2000 to $4000 on parts all at once is something that would hurt. Guess I'd favor a 6.0 gas 2500 HD. Scary thought there.
    It gets my attention too, but I'll tell you from experience, as good as the little 6.0 runs, it won't come close to pulling like a Dmax does. Even my 79 1 ton pickup with it's smog era 454 pulled circles around my fathers 6.0. I then installed a 502 thinking that would be all I needed, and it does pull my 28 foot trailer very well, but after buying a duramax there is just no comparison. I've said since that I won't be going back to gas for towing purposes. I do hate the thought of repairs if it ever comes to that, and even just general maintanance is very expensive, but it's certainly worth it if you pull anything regularly.
    My father who has now seen my Dmax in action is convinced now to get a duramax and stop towing with his 3/4 ton 6.0.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-27-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information