Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    quicky06
    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford
    All I have to say is....The 07 Powerstroke now has twin turbos enstead of just one...Wait till banks gets ahold of that. It's going to put chevy and dodge to shame.

banks has been working on a twin turbo system that puts out 150psi for diesels foratleast a year.

yes i said 150psi

and my father owns a 2005 f250 crewcab with 6'bed and 4x4 and all the toys. let me just say wow i was driving it with a 4ton trailer and was idling foward up a hill from a stop at a stop light.

its a 1 ton truck
    it can to over 9 tons
    and stop about 7(thats why they make trailers with brakes).

it depends on what you want to use it for also.

to start with no DODGE

a chevy will drive more like a car and get a little better milage

the ford will have a more powerful option last long work harder and cost less to maintain and fix.

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

i run a auto repair shop in wyoming and if not for ford trucks we would starve

Hotrod
    Well I test drove a Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4. It didn't have the Hemi, it had the smaller V-8 (I forget what size it is but you guys probably know). I liked it cause it seems to sit higher than the others, but it seemed to be VERY underpowered. Maybe this is because it's a 4x4 with a small V-8, I don't know how much different the Hemi would have been but they didn't have a Hemi 4x4. They had a lot of diesel 4x4 but I don't want diesel! He let me test drive it by myself so of course I jumped on it to see what it had and I put the pedal to the floor & could not feel a bit of difference in power. It was as if I wasn't pushing on the gas cause it just barely started increasing speed. But my trucks days may be over with the gas prices getting close to $3.00 a gallon. My dad put $45.00 in his Chevy truck and it only gave him 1/2 a tank of gas!!!!

black
    01 camaro ss

My dad bought a 78 chevy with unknown miles and it whent 13 more years of everyday driving. I mean my dad drove for a living and at night i would use it to pick up my gril. I bought a 01 silverado single cab with 5.3. I have to say that everyone that drove it loved it, since then 5 people have the same or the extended cab and love it. My friend at the time had a 02 f150 with the 5.4 and now my cousin has an 05 f150 with same engine. They tried to get rid of them, but couldn't they loose too much in the process, they noe whant a chevy. I drove both trucks, good tq off the line but die out quick, when you step on the chevy it pulls and keeps pulling all the way to 4600 rpms. It stops on a dime [for a truck] and get a solid 17 -18 gpm. The dodge 5.9 are a joke, the hemi is faster but an average of 10 to 14 gpm its not worth it. the 5.4 keeps up at the start, unless is supercharged{ thats the only way ford can keep up]. I gone up against plenty of trucks and only a lightning beat me. I'm from souther cali and used to street race {even with a stock truck} and the only way to get noticed is with a CHEVY. Just personal experience.

Hey HOTROD.. That means he has a large gas tank, that 1/2 of tank will last him longer than if he had a dodge or ford.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

my dad has always had chevy's but he did get a ford in 1997 then traded in 1999 for a chevy, chevy's are the best but any thing american is good.

littleredbeast
    Tough question =

Chevy - if it's a gas engine, go V8 on 99 & newer (newer V6 4.3 has some electrical quirks, got am '03 DOA in the driveway I'd like to use for nuke practice that's baffled even the driveability tech experts - arrgghhhh) - my youngest is on his second one, first one flipped a few times on the interstate, thanks to someone else, and he walked away with a broken heart and no physical harm. The older v6 4.3, damned good motor. We have two - 130K & 305K! Very safe & reliable.

Ford - mileage sucks and diesels eat turbos!

Dodge - mileage & longevity - cummins - my old 97 cummins turbo (fully loaded with 1 ton suspension) is the toughest 4 wheel drive (only way to go with a diesel, they are so heavy you will get stuck easy with a 2 WD) - 20+ mpg, even when pulling the stock car & all our racing equipment & handles like a dream. Only get a manual trans - no one makes an automatic for a diesel that's worth having! Ask any tranny guy.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

I have an 05 Hemi Ram and get about 14.9mpg with 75% highway miles. I really like the truck but im not sure the build quality is all there. Dont the 06's have the gas saving hemis that run on 4 cyls?

white
    2001 camaross

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming T/A
    make sure some one doesnt put you in a early 06 .get the LBZ awesome with the new 6 sp. allison,only have 5000.miles on mine ,cant wait to haul my 14000 # horse trailer up the BIG HORNS 10.to.13% grade for 12 miles.
    Hey i have a Question, My dad just bought a early 06 duramax 2500 crew cab 4x4 and it has the 6 speed transmission but it only has the 310 HP instead of the 360 HP So does that make it a rare truck,
    And havnt seen much performance parts out for the 06 yet but im lookin at that edge Juice Module.

dodge

buy a gmc. they still look good and are high quality. or get a a dodge. ford is slow as hell and heavy as shit. not to mention there super expensive.

white

got a buddy of mine that has a 06 mega cab 6 speed manual trans ,about 18000 miles can olnly do 17 mpg at its best ,he is not happy at all,my duramax will do 19.2 if i drive it 65,only 6500 miles and mine is a automatic

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford
    All I have to say is....The 07 Powerstroke now has twin turbos enstead of just one...Wait till banks gets ahold of that. It's going to put chevy and dodge to shame.
    Speaking of the POWER JOKE. Seems Ford can't get the computer right. My neighbor has a new dually. It's his second Ford. First one went back under the Lemon Law. This one he has now just quits whenever and wherever. He's had it towed so many times and worked on so many times. He hates it. It's completely stock. The 6.0 has such a bad rep right now that Ford will be coming out with a new displacement soon.

As for which half ton to buy? Dodge is cheaper for a reason. It's called resale. Gas mileage on a dodge sucks ass too. Dodge has done a wonderful job hyping the Hemi(not a true hemi btw). Personally I think it is a hideously ugly truck too. I like the Ford half tons. FX4 looks good and the dealers down here put super chargers on and covered under warranty ofcourse. Chevy Trucks still have the most comfortable interior IMO. I have not test drove a vortec max but the standard 5.3 sucks. No low end. It's all high end power. I'd rather have more low end with displacement for towing in the hills. I outta know because I own a 2002 5.3 Chevy Z71 as I type this. I will be trading off for the afore mentioned Ford someday. Or a new camaro if it ever happens. Bottom line is Fords power is down low more so than up high. Chevy's power is up high and is great for passing and burning along but forget about any serious tow load in hills down low. The 5.3 kicks down to keep the rpms high. I hate it. Really need a 6.0 in their half ton. The only thing good I can say about the 5.3 is I get 20mph with a cold air intake. As you can tell I think dodge just sucks all around for looks. I work for a railroad that buys fleets of vehicles from the big three. Dodge still doesn't cut the mustard. Any where from tranny's to rearend problems. If somebody gets issued a dodge where I work, they are very unhappy. Ford gets kinda stupid with their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Making a 5.4 available is stupid as hell. Nuttless engine in a truck of that size. There you have it. I'm sure I offended some dodge boys but I've got real work world experience with them. The dodge diesel is a different story. Very stout rig. Just ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by 01camaross
    Hey i have a Question, My dad just bought a early 06 duramax 2500 crew cab 4x4 and it has the 6 speed transmission but it only has the 310 HP instead of the 360 HP So does that make it a rare truck,
    And havnt seen much performance parts out for the 06 yet but im lookin at that edge Juice Module.
    That is the same engine as the LBZ only detuned.Go over to www.dieselplace.com and they have some great articles.I have an 05 lly and my brother has the early 06 lly,engines definately look different.We are both running bully dog triple threats,i have the cold air intake and 4" exhaust and he will eat my lunch.Never had any overheating problems and i have pulled 8000
    pounds up and down hills.

Grey
    87 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    Speaking of the POWER JOKE. Seems Ford can't get the computer right. My neighbor has a new dually. It's his second Ford. First one went back under the Lemon Law. This one he has now just quits whenever and wherever. He's had it towed so many times and worked on so many times. He hates it. It's completely stock. The 6.0 has such a bad rep right now that Ford will be coming out with a new displacement soon.

As for which half ton to buy? Dodge is cheaper for a reason. It's called resale. Gas mileage on a dodge sucks ass too. Dodge has done a wonderful job hyping the Hemi(not a true hemi btw). Personally I think it is a hideously ugly truck too. I like the Ford half tons. FX4 looks good and the dealers down here put super chargers on and covered under warranty ofcourse. Chevy Trucks still have the most comfortable interior IMO. I have not test drove a vortec max but the standard 5.3 sucks. No low end. It's all high end power. I'd rather have more low end with displacement for towing in the hills. I outta know because I own a 2002 5.3 Chevy Z71 as I type this. I will be trading off for the afore mentioned Ford someday. Or a new camaro if it ever happens. Bottom line is Fords power is down low more so than up high. Chevy's power is up high and is great for passing and burning along but forget about any serious tow load in hills down low. The 5.3 kicks down to keep the rpms high. I hate it. Really need a 6.0 in their half ton. The only thing good I can say about the 5.3 is I get 20mph with a cold air intake. As you can tell I think dodge just sucks all around for looks. I work for a railroad that buys fleets of vehicles from the big three. Dodge still doesn't cut the mustard. Any where from tranny's to rearend problems. If somebody gets issued a dodge where I work, they are very unhappy. Ford gets kinda stupid with their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Making a 5.4 available is stupid as hell. Nuttless engine in a truck of that size. There you have it. I'm sure I offended some dodge boys but I've got real work world experience with them. The dodge diesel is a different story. Very stout rig. Just ugly.

I own a 04' F250 and have 100k miles on it and have had no trouble out of it. I usually pull a 7 ton trailer. My buddy has a new dodge 2500 and it runs real good (he has the banks 6 gun on it). It all depends on what your going to use your truck for as to which one to get. One of the best trucks I ever had was an 86 chevy with a 350 in it, you just couldn't kill that thing. I am waiting on the new ford to come out with the twin turbos before I buy another truck.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Dodge Ram owner for nine years

I can tell you that my 1996 Dodge extended cab (no quad then) has lasted over 100,000 miles, still runs great, and has only had to have regular maintenance except for the replacement of an O2 sensor. The transmission was serviced once and they used some fluid other than Mopar. It didn't shift right and acted like it was in neutral at times. Had it redone with Mopar transmission fluid and it got back to normal. Flowmaster exhaust on the 5.2 (318ci) engine with a K&N (round) FIPK system.

It's always sounded great, runs good, and hauled everything I required of it. It has NEVER gotten good gas mileage 12 and 18 mpg city/highway (and will ping in the summer with anything less than 89 octane). That's with a tonneau. Recently, I got a recall notice from Dodge that the cat is still under warranty (an apparent change in their service policy). I've had older Chevy and Ford trucks, but the Dodge has proven to be reliable, comfortable, and pretty good looking. I HATED that big-rig look at first, but when the ext. cab came out, I changed my mind.

I like the new Hemi line, but my understanding is that Mopar is cashing in on that legendary name. It's a good engine, but nowhere near as strong as they make it sound. Friends who have the newer Hemi also claim comparable gas mileage, but in truth, I don't really know of any full-sized truck model that gets good mileage, just individual specimens that a few lucky people got hold of.

I gave Dodge a try and I haven't been disappointed. Of the three, I give the nod to Mopar.

Good luck with your choice,

John

Red
    1998 Z28

me and my family go camping alot.. so i know people with all of the trucks listed above and all have weak and high points. lets start with my least fav the powerstroke.. these engines are freaking mean they can make serious power when tuned right but the fact is that the turbos go out and the computer tuning from the factory sucks.. not to mention when they first came out they blew head gaskets ALL the time. there will always be some redneck hollering "well i got 500,000 miles on my truck" oh yes that reminds me... "All I have to say is....The 07 Powerstroke now has twin turbos enstead of just one...Wait till banks gets ahold of that. It's going to put chevy and dodge to shame." if i'm not mistaken ford bought cummins because they pretty much make the best diesels in america (except for international.. or durimax as yall call them) i think by 08 maybe 09 the stroker will be gone so let banks make all the systems they want to put chevy and dodge to shame.. it's chevy and dodge that will put ford in it's grave.. but anyway go drive them and make the choice for yourself... the gas engines are different story.. 4.6 is good engine but underpowered for a truck.. 5.4 triton..good power down low, nothing uptop, horrible gas milage, and so so build quality.. hey but the fords are lookers..

dodge.. first off the reason it's cheaper is resale on dodge is shit.. they lose like 25% right off the lot.. resale SUCKS but the cars are fine.. they have always had problems with the transmissions but i think it's a thing of the past.. but anyway.. the HEMI whooptie doo all the big three have hemi's , vortec and triton.. SAME THING.. the engine so far appears to be a good one but 10 miles to the gallon.. give me a break i wouldn't buy it to save my life has tons of potential.. but 10 mpg stock.. imagine if you upgraded it.....
    the cummins on the other hand is a freaking beast they are the loudest and the most out of date and i think they will end up to be the most dependable and longest lasting diesels out there.. i once heard someone say when it comes to diesels i'd rather be cummin then strokin.. and that pretty much sums it up

chevy.. 5.3 great engine great gas milage fast as shit (for a truck) towed 9,000 pounds with my dads 2000 1/2 ton.. it new it was back there and braking was always fun even with trailor brakesi averaged 11 mpg towing and made it no problem i've heard the same from everyone else i know.. the 6.0 only gets better (cept milage) and the diesels are as good if not better then dodge.. they are made my international and are off the chain with a allison transmission i've drove one tuned by my mechanic he has 720 hp and 850 tq to the pavment i didn't use the gas pedal much i mean it was amazing.. you just let the clutch out.. no gas.. all diesels can be built like this but i don't know how long it will hold up.. 50,000 miles no problems yet

okay now i'm done preaching.. it's your choice obviously theres alot.. go drive them and see what you like better i would recomend a diesel.. and i would try my luck with a duramax.. but cummins would be just as good... you might luck out with a stroker.. who knows..

i've had three ram 1500's and two jeeps... so glad i pulled my head out and got into a silverado 1500. all three rams had tranny failure, shredded motor in cherokee, and my first brand new vehicle 2002 wrangler 4.0-6 and 5-speed had block replaced at 8000 mi. still had noise in valvetrain so i sent it down the river. i'm pretty sour on mopar. the chevy is rock solid 4.8 v-8 5-spd 4wd auto locking rear-end, cold air by K&N and flowmaster. close to 300 hp this truck sounds great and is a blast to drive (as far as trucks go) in my opinion you cant go wrong with the chev!

white

75 recalls on 05 & 06 powerstrokes ,cant wait for twin turbos and twin problems

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i am gonna have to really recommend the f150 and not jus cause i am a ford guy. its the best interior, best riding truck, strongest fully boxed frame, rides great. good brakes. the only thing i dont like about it is the brakes wear out and the 5.4 is not as strong as 5.3 and 6.0 gms. as far as the dodge goes, i dont recommend it at all. i cant emphasize how much i hate dodge rams. total pieces of shit. they always have problems they are underpowered minus the hemi, the ride like shit. their only redeeming quality is the front grille.

LPM, & Blk
    2001 Z/28, 2010 2LT/RS

I purchased a 06 Silverado 1500 CC 2WD, 6.0L Vmax, 3LT back in April. I love it looks better then the Dodge or Ford. The 6.0L V8 get's up and goes yet my mpg are averaging 19.1

Specs
    340/380
    3.73's

Has no problem towing a 24ft car hauler with a Camaro inside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information