Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C7 Vette update

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

mid engine would be strange, yesterday i was closed minded on it completly, but after thinking it over it could be cool as a uppermodel, the only thing is that being mid engine would give the vette a completly different shape (no more long hood short cabin design) and make it an entirely different car,

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Exactly my point. Corvette is and to me, should always stand for front engine, rear wheel drive.
    Front engine, RWD, and V8 powered

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Front engine, RWD, and V8 powered

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    yea but that most likely wont happen because that would move away from the iconic image that the vette is...the front engine v8 gas supercar. just like how they wouldnt go mid engine either.
    or get rid of pop up headlights......................

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    The C5 and C6 Vettes have a better weight distribution than any mid engined car I've ever seen the specs on. Including this months Road and Track's test of 4 Lambos.
    Why change it? That's why GM placed the tranny in the rear of the car.
    The design is flawed in itself. Even Ron Fellows himself said the c4 had better weight 'Balance'. Sounds wierd right? the c5/6 has all its weight in the front, and the rear and nothing in the middle. it was very hard for gm to overcome the initial handling testing where they spun out constantly. Mid engine cars generally have their engine and trans over the rear wheels making it so most of the weight is in one general area. Extending the wheelbase helped overcome the 'spinning out' problem.

In my opinion GM needs to ditch the pushrod engine. In the mid-late 80s when Lotus first built LT5s for Gm they were pushing 450-500 hp. Comon think about that. TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO. The LT5 made 375/405. Just imagine a higher compression, direct injected dohc v-8 designed with todays techonolgy. I bet Gm could make a <5L Dohc DI v-8 to push over 550 hp and over 600 if they choose to rev it past 8000 rpm.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

GM did "blind" driving tests before they decided which type of engine would power the then new C6.
    Without fail, the drivers all choose the old pushrod engine over the Overhead Cam one for it's overall driving "personaity".
    Think about this, we American's, although the Corvette is a global car, prefer a lazy V8. Other high spun Overhead Cam V8's made by other manufacters that will spin to 8500RPM and above, seldom have that low end "grunt" that we Americans prefer.
    Even though my LS7 will spin to 7 grand, not too shabby, it'll lope along at 1200RPM on the freeway.
    If you doubt me, read up on the new Lexus with it's 550Hp double everything super this and that and you'll see that most of the Writers felt it had to be wrung up pretty high to make serious power/torque
    I love the fact that I can goose my car at 1400RPM and kick the rear end out with no prob.
    I do agree though that the Corvette has a serious problem with the rear end coming around VERY easily.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    The design is flawed in itself. Even Ron Fellows himself said the c4 had better weight 'Balance'. Sounds wierd right? the c5/6 has all its weight in the front, and the rear and nothing in the middle. it was very hard for gm to overcome the initial handling testing where they spun out constantly. Mid engine cars generally have their engine and trans over the rear wheels making it so most of the weight is in one general area. Extending the wheelbase helped overcome the 'spinning out' problem.

In my opinion GM needs to ditch the pushrod engine. In the mid-late 80s when Lotus first built LT5s for Gm they were pushing 450-500 hp. Comon think about that. TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO. The LT5 made 375/405. Just imagine a higher compression, direct injected dohc v-8 designed with todays techonolgy. I bet Gm could make a <5L Dohc DI v-8 to push over 550 hp and over 600 if they choose to rev it past 8000 rpm.
    as said before this was planned and didn't go through...the fact that DOHC's are expensive ..heavy and big doesn't help the corvette....yes the LT5 was nice..and yes those are great numbers..but the complexity and cost of those engines is pretty damn high as shown by the price of the zr1 back 25 years ago. The pushrod really is a timeless engine..its ability to be cheap, easy to work on and simplistic in design makes it perfect for the vette...is there really any competitor around that can make a N/A motor with as broad of a powerband, as simple and push out those good of numbers at the displacement gm uses ?

i cant think of one

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    as said before this was planned and didn't go through...the fact that DOHC's are expensive ..heavy and big doesn't help the corvette....yes the LT5 was nice..and yes those are great numbers..but the complexity and cost of those engines is pretty damn high as shown by the price of the zr1 back 25 years ago. The pushrod really is a timeless engine..its ability to be cheap, easy to work on and simplistic in design makes it perfect for the vette...is there really any competitor around that can make a N/A motor with as broad of a powerband, as simple and push out those good of numbers at the displacement gm uses ?

i cant think of one
    Well said Sir!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Long live the V8 pushrod!

i cant think of one

Navy Blue metallic
    1999 vette 6sp

Last word I saw was no c7 till probably 2013 - after all, look at the C4 timeline. Mainly to give NewGM time to regroup.
    As far as LS series engines go - they are the very best of the best of breed. I can cruise at 650 rpm in 6th, quick drop back to 3 when a quick spurt is needed. Long live the LS1 with man tran!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by granddad View Post
    Last word I saw was no c7 till probably 2013 - after all, look at the C4 timeline. Mainly to give NewGM time to regroup.
    As far as LS series engines go - they are the very best of the best of breed. I can cruise at 650 rpm in 6th, quick drop back to 3 when a quick spurt is needed. Long live the LS1 with man tran!
    the ls1 is no longer produced in a production car...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I think he meant to say the LSx series of engines.

the ls1 is no longer produced in a production car...

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I like the new Camaro look, but don't do that to the Vette as well. I've noticed that a lot of modern day society is going retro, from fashion to cars. I do not like this trend at all...I want modern day sh*t, and after builing the ZR1 which is as modern as you can get, throwing old school details on the Vette just doesn't feel right.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

http://www.corvettenewsblog.com/2009...-split-window/

Article from another website talking about the splitwindow. This pic was also in Motortrend.

"In an interview with Inside Line, Ed Welburn, General Motors' head of global design, father of the re-born Camaro, told us the next Vette will follow the 2010 Camaro down the road of retro-inflected styling."
    Last edited by raynor139; 11-28-2009 at 02:22 PM.

2011 Prius

IDK if anyone seen them, but there our videos of the "stingray" concept on youtube. Was going to post them, but they been up there for months...

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I really enjoy the Pushrod V8. I am wondering what you guys are talking about with the rear end spinning out so "easy". My 02 Z06 with Factory Supercar tires will not even spin the tires unless I dump the clutch (Only tried that once, does not feel like its ANY good on the car ). I've pushed it on clover ramps until the tires screech with no problems at all 70mph + accelerating.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I really enjoy the Pushrod V8. I am wondering what you guys are talking about with the rear end spinning out so "easy". My 02 Z06 with Factory Supercar tires will not even spin the tires unless I dump the clutch (Only tried that once, does not feel like its ANY good on the car ). I've pushed it on clover ramps until the tires screech with no problems at all 70mph + accelerating.
    Add another 100hp and see what happens.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Add another 100hp and see what happens.
    true ..but also for the c6 z06s..you also add almost 2" of width on the rear tires too ...even tho that is offset by those shitty run flats that come OEM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Really? Well someday I'll see for myself

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

looks sexy but there goes the rear view a camera mounted rearview mirror sounds like a must standard. its the Transformers corvette

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information